Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

to all volvo 850 owners hidden rust please read

Views : 4915

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 20:43   #11
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Pray tell how it is rusting if nothing is getting behind the liners. You need moisture and air to cause the rust. You also need some sort of debris to abrade the factory rust protection and galvanisation to get down to bare metal before it can rust.

Of course the problem is muck and water getting behind the liners. That becomes even more apparent when you see they don't sit perfectly flush and there is a gap between the liner and the top of the arch.

You are spot on though that it is a big issue and simply rinsing the liner wont help. It does need regular treating with a rust preventer.
As I have said. This is some sort of manufacturing issue. Weather it's just bad underselling or a galvanising issue, but the rust usually starts in the same place. Usually where the rear seat pivot mounting is. It just might be the fact that the welding from the seat mounting has affected the steel. I have had enough liners off to see that it is not a Muck and silt problem.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 02:10   #12
diplomat2.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Heck, that's scary! Does the same problem afflict S/V/C70 cars too? Our S70 has just turned 21, and I must admit that I've always gone along with the belief that these cars simply don't rot, apart from the rear exhaust hanger. Now I feel a bit of an inspection might be in order.

To be frank, if I found corrosion to the extent of the rot found in the other thread on the same subject I think that it'd possibly be curtains for the car.......but hey, should I worry? It passed the MOT just six weeks ago.

Jack
Please remember that my car didn’t fail the MoT on that rust - it only failed on 4 tyres, 2 bulbs and a track rod end dust cover.
diplomat2.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 22:46   #13
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Default Rust

I am in the process of changing my front wing, and tbh was surprised at the lack of rust under the liner and the inner wing, there was three spots of very light surface rust, it was that light i was not going to bother treating it and then changed my mind,,
i am not looking forward to looking behind the sill covers or rear arch liners but will,
The nearside chassis rail near to the exhaust needs attention though,.

Craig.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 00:08   #14
Cookeh
Premier Member

Whipped one of mine off today whilst in the area, just to assess the damages. As predicted, rather obviously, it's being abraded by dirt and debris which is also acting as a moisture trap. This is incredibly plain to see in the pictures.

Arch liner dirt
This little pile is what fell from the liner as I removed it.

Arch liner dirt 2
Bottom left of this image you can clearly see a patch of damp dirt, along with my rust. You can also see the dirt and debris on the top of the arch liner to the right.

Thankfully, I have gotten off rather lightly with just some minor surface rust around the seatbelt mounting point, which I shall be treating shortly. Alongside checking and treating this area, I would also recommend pulling the liners off with some regularity (once a year or so, or whenever you clean the arches) to ensure the area behind is clean. I will also be adding a layer of Dynax UB once clean as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 17:22   #15
Clogs
Clogs

Default Rust appearing behind rear wheel arches - V70 1999

I have a tailgate rattle and wondered if it was something else - so poked around under the offside rear cover (near the tail lamps), where there's a piece of foam stapled to a bit of plastic and looking from underneath there's a hole - presumably to let air out of the car. This bit underneath is wet and getting rusty (a small chunk of rusty something came away in my hand). It's drier on the near side because that's warmer near the exhaust pipe.

However, I'll leave it as the car has a limited life (perhaps 3 to 5 more years) and underneath you can see it's no longer rust free.

The seats are starting to come apart (cloth seams), there's the rattle that won't go away even when fixing new clips to the tailgate cover, and eventually the rubbers on the spring and engine mounts will perish (already in bits). If there is welding needed because of rust, it's probably time it went to the scrap yard to join most of the other S/V70s and 850s 1991-1999.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 19:26   #16
Cookeh
Premier Member

Happens if you don't keep the drain plugs in those two 'bins' clear. They do tend to clog fairly quickly if you're using an estate as an estate, and that then stops water/condensate draining. Leave it long enough and, as you've noticed, it will rust through.

Keeping drain plugs/ports clear should really be done as part of your fortnightly maintenance (or done whenever you wash the car, or any time you check the oil/fluids/etc).
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 20:23   #17
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Whipped one of mine off today whilst in the area, just to assess the damages. As predicted, rather obviously, it's being abraded by dirt and debris which is also acting as a moisture trap. This is incredibly plain to see in the pictures.

Arch liner dirt
This little pile is what fell from the liner as I removed it.

Arch liner dirt 2
Bottom left of this image you can clearly see a patch of damp dirt, along with my rust. You can also see the dirt and debris on the top of the arch liner to the right.

Thankfully, I have gotten off rather lightly with just some minor surface rust around the seatbelt mounting point, which I shall be treating shortly. Alongside checking and treating this area, I would also recommend pulling the liners off with some regularity (once a year or so, or whenever you clean the arches) to ensure the area behind is clean. I will also be adding a layer of Dynax UB once clean as well.
There does seem to be a fair amount of dirt there! 🤔 Just remember though, that they still rust even when there is no dirt behind, or very little.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:03   #18
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Just completed rustproofing the wheel arches after removing the liners- V70 1998, first done this approx. 18months back. All perfect! To the point that they could have been left (waxoyl & clean engine oil to dilute) sprayed all the various parts whilst under the car- a straight forward job.

The plan was also to redo the 88’ 240 but after finding the above to be fine I decided to just spray the underside & associated parts. This car is also retro fitted with rear liners - one of the best moves made to protect these areas. Lucky me & ready for the next winter!
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:22   #19
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Default Rust

Hi,

Took my liners off over the weekend and tackled the job in hand, one side was very clean and little surface rust,the other side was in worse shape with a fair bit of silt in there and more rust than the other side which i thought would go through to a hole or holes when sanded with a wire brush drill attachment but thankfully did not, treated with two coats of hydrate 80 then two coats of carplan underseal,.
I would say i have caught this just in time with thanks to this post.

Craig.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 12:48   #20
pinballdave

Here's what I found behind the drivers side sill cover of my '94 850 today. I was expecting to find something that would need me to get the welder out, as I had done the other side last year, but wasn't expecting it to find a hole this big! Still debating with myself as to whether my welding skills are adequate for this job, while I look for a larger bit of steel sheet than the one I had ready for it.

So don't just check behind the wheelarch liners, there are other potential rot spots that should be tackled before they write the car off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sill.jpg (167.6 KB, 80 views)
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post: