Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 2.0 stutter

Views : 475

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 13:54   #1
cdm30379

Default Volvo V50 2.0 stutter

Hi, had my v50 2.0 rdesign 08 for about 6 weeks. it has a stutter at between 1800 & 2000 revs. I bought a cheap air flow sensor but that made it worse. if unplugged it runs fine. If booting it its fine and when towing caravan its fine too. Should i buy a genuine air flow sensor or anyone experienced anything else with one of these. vin suggests euro 5 engine but i have no sign of a dpf . i have the egr blanking plate but not fitted it yet. any advice or suggestions ? thanks
cdm30379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 15:37   #2
benrpatterson

No answer for you sorry, but my 2007 S40 2.0d has the same stutter... sometimes... i had just put it down to the turbo getting old.
benrpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:25   #3
Paddy94

Same problem here with my 09 2.0, no DPF. Stutters if you try cruise in the 16-1800 rev zone. Gets REALLY bad if you try to cruise at motorway speeds. Stutters, bucks, kangaroos, etc really badly at 22-2400 RPM.

Makes going anywhere far a real pain.
Paddy94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:06   #4
yannickc

Default air intake valve

I also had a VERY BAD stuttering in my v50 2.0d 2008.

After replacing and testing a lot of thing (even ECU) i discovered my intake valve was closing time to time when accelerating.

I'm pretty sure its not a electrical or mechanical problem.
I "solved" the problem by disconnecting the electrical solenoid that controls the valve. No error messages or problems after disconnecting this. And more importantly : no more stutter!

My only conclusion to this problem (in my case) this is a bug in the software.
I did many research on it, and it takes me months to (by coincidence ) find someone who "knows" my problem. It was an Volvo mechanic and he told me my solution was used on many 2.0d's at that time.

A real reason or solution to this problem was never found for as far he know... But he also thinks its a bug that with some 2.0d's appear, and others never ...

What i also notice was that the problem mainly appears when driving economical , or for a long time on the highway. From the moment you want to accelerate from low speeds again, it happens again...

Then when i drive sportive for a time, the stuttering stops.

Last edited by yannickc; Aug 21st, 2019 at 23:35.
yannickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:39   #5
Paddy94

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannickc View Post
I also had a VERY BAD stuttering in my v50 2.0d 2008.

After replacing and testing a lot of thing (even ECU) i discovered my intake valve was closing time to time when accelerating.

I'm pretty sure its not a electrical or mechanical problem.
I "solved" the problem by disconnecting the electrical solenoid that controls the valve. No error messages or problems after disconnecting this. And more importantly : no more stutter!

My only conclusion to this problem (in my case) this is a bug in the software.
I did many research on it, and it takes me months to (by coincidence ) find someone who "knows" my problem. It was an Volvo mechanic and he told me my solution was used on many 2.0d's at that time.

A real reason or solution to this problem was never found for as far he know... But he also thinks its a bug that with some 2.0d's appear, and others never ...

What i also notice was that the problem mainly appears when driving economical , or for a long time on the highway. From the moment you want to accelerate from low speeds again, it happens again...

Then when i drive sportive for a time, the stuttering stops.
An interesting fix, that's for sure! Tempted to try this myself, do you know where the solenoid is? A picture would be great!
Paddy94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 06:38   #6
yannickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy94 View Post
An interesting fix, that's for sure! Tempted to try this myself, do you know where the solenoid is? A picture would be great!
Here it is, near to the alternator :

yannickc is offline   Reply With Quote