Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 P8 Recharge full electric: any experience?

Views : 463

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2021, 15:20   #1
Woodworkprojects

Default XC40 P8 Recharge full electric: any experience?

I am collecting my leased First Edition next week and have been trawling the web looking for any feedback from UK users, without a lot of success I have to say. I am interested in real-world range and also whether UK models have suffered the same glitches experienced by our American cousins: some of these can be found athttps://www.xc40forum.com/threads/xc...w-owners.2585/.
Topics mentioned there include:
  • glitches with the "infotainment" (what a horrible non-word) system,
  • possible recall due to possibility of high voltage system disconnecting while driving (scary thought!),
  • Increasing range with different tyres.
Has anyone had one for long enough to contribute anything? Thanks in advance
Woodworkprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2021, 19:42   #2
I-S
Premier Member

Not directly experience of the P8 or XC40, but I've owned EVs since 2017.

On motorway driving I would expect the XC40 to be a bit worse (due to worse aerodynamics and otherwise shared components) than the Polestar 2, so expect consumption between 330 and 400Wh/mi, and thus range at 70mph to be about 160-180 miles in winter, and about 220-240 in summer.

Tyres can have something of an impact. I put Michelin Crossclimate+ on my Leaf 24kWh (215/50R17) and it made about 3-5 miles of difference to the range, but again dependent on conditions (heavy rain caused greater impact due to the amount of water the crossclimates shifted). Make sure that your tyres are properly inflated, and that might be a higher recommended pressure than you are used to (my current EV has recommended pressures of 42psi/2.9bar). There is a new breed of EV-optimised tyres starting to come out (eg Michelin e.Primacy and Michelin Pilot Sport EV) which may give you a few miles extra range and may last a few thousand miles longer (the torque and weight of an EV can cause more rapid wear of the tyres, the EV optimised tyres are designed to take this better).

A major software update has just been released for the Polestar 2, so I would imagine that the XC40 would receive that same update which will probably address some of the glitches in the system. It also adds additional app functionality.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post: