Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9246

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2020, 23:27   #171
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you go early then there's a good chance it hasn't filled up. I'm usually later in the day and you get all the "mumsnet" parkers that leave about 2" gap between their drivers door and yours because they don't know how to park properly.
Yeah, some can be so inconsiderate....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 01:17   #172
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Yeah, some can be so inconsiderate....
They seem to forget that just because they're young, fit, supple and most of all slim, not everyone else is! I certainly am none of those things these days and need all the space i can get to get in or out!

Wouldn't mind so much but they're 3" from the white line between me and them but 15" from the white line on the other side with no passengers!

EDIT - PS - Happy New Year!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 16:01   #173
Willow place

They would think twice about parking next to me , so many Dents and Scratches on ALL panels and Top Coat peeling off Everywhere !
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 04:57   #174
Bashy
Aged Member

Further update,

It's been starting with no misfires since the last mention a short while back.
Thats with doing it with no aids, i.e, ive not been turning off the lights, ive not been putting it into neutral, ive not been priming the tank pump. Just been getting in and starting it.

The original slow turning over is still present when there's been no sun to add to the trickle charge or had a good run the day before. When i say slow, i am talking about 20% slower or thereabouts, you can tell its a little laboured.

I will try putting it into neutral and see if that improves the turnover speed.

At the minute its a bit sporadic as to whether i manage to get out or not, Brandy, my eldest at 12+ has hip dysplasia and spinal issues, he dictates as to whether there is a walk that day.....
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 05:19   #175
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like good news on the starting front! Do you give your hounds anything to help their joints?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 06:55   #176
Bashy
Aged Member

Tried a few, either dont help or gives him the schits , he has a very delicate tummy, trying anything new is a nightmare for me and him lol :/
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 07:05   #177
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Tried a few, either dont help or gives him the schits , he has a very delicate tummy, trying anything new is a nightmare for me and him lol :/
Have you tried him on the Sainsburys ones? I've given them to my hounds without any problems and they take a while to improve mobility but i have seen results. Not a cure-all but have helped.
I've also tried a few other brands and experienced the no effect or drastic side effects - or should that be rear effects?

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...-dogs-x14-350g

If it helps him then got to be worth a try, especially if the others aren't getting out because he would have to stay home alone.

Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 07:59   #178
Bashy
Aged Member

Ive done the yumove and similar, had him on yumove for about 4 months, expensive waste of time, if that dont do much not much else will as thats the main goto for joint issues. Having said that, it may have helped his hip dysplasia side of things, its hard to tell, because of his lower spinal issue, nothing can help that except his metacam, BUT, he should be on the 30kg+ amount but i cant give him any more than the 10kg amount as his tummy reacts, and we aint talking Mr Whippy here, we are talking more water than out else and bloody too. It was that bad one time, the watery crap was like red wine! so you can understand that i m very reluctant to try anything new, heck just the wrong dog biscuit can set him off, or a tiny thumbnail size of Tesco prime crumbed ham.

Looking at the ingredients of those joint things from sainsbugs, yumove has far more of the main items, namely
250mg Glucosamine HCl.
150mg Green Lipped Mussel (containing natural Chondroitin)
12.5mg Vitamin C

and he was on double dosage for the duration, if that didnt help nowt would

As it is, he's on his Wainwright's kibble and having to supplement that with part chicken and mash cause even that 10kg of metacam upsets him. Problem there is, the chicken and mash is lacking the proteins needed so its not a long term solution, but its a fantastic remedy for the squits, this is what i use..

Tesco breast fillets, they are the cheap ones about £1.50 for 2 fillets
Powder mash from tesco, 28p a pack, was the one with the least ingredients.

Boil 2 fillets for about 20 mins til no longer pink, let them cool
In the meantime, put 650ml of cold water into a bowl. (only 650ml, ignore packet and no butter etc)
Whisk the water whilst adding the mash, dont let it clump.
Once it starts to thicken, you can stop whisking and leave it, no need to heat it.
Finely cut up the 2 breasts into crumbs, then take half and stick it in some cling film and freeze it ready for next time, only need 1 breast per packet).
Take the remainder and mix it into the mash with a spoon.

I always have some chopped up chuck in the freezer ready......

Job done, ready to serve, used on its own, this will cure any squits, if you give it in the morning, you will see results later on. If you see nothing, dont be alarmed, when used on its own, Brandy may not go again til the next afternoon and they are smaller/harder too, once hard again, start adding their normal food with the mash, just a little for 1st meal and gradually increase to the mash has gone, by then you should have weaned back to normal foodstuff.

Its a godsend and works every time, sometimes Brandy doesnt go loo till after breaky, if its the squits, i will make up a batch and give him some there and the, even if hes just had his normal breaky, they wont burst, hes about 30kg and i give him about 2 decent pudding spoon sizes of the mash.
I used to buy the poopstop stuff from the vets or from PaH, nearly 20 quid a tub for him and it rarely helped, scrambled egg was terrible, came out the same colour it went in lol I swear by my method, pays to keep some in stock well, does for me thats for sure
Its not just food either, fireworks, thunder, someone visiting or taking him somewhere new, separation anxiety, car doors, dustbins and so on can set him off.

The vet an i have come to the conclusion that its food and stress related Colitis.
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 13:40   #179
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ive done the yumove and similar, had him on yumove for about 4 months, expensive waste of time, if that dont do much not much else will as thats the main goto for joint issues. Having said that, it may have helped his hip dysplasia side of things, its hard to tell, because of his lower spinal issue, nothing can help that except his metacam, BUT, he should be on the 30kg+ amount but i cant give him any more than the 10kg amount as his tummy reacts, and we aint talking Mr Whippy here, we are talking more water than out else and bloody too. It was that bad one time, the watery crap was like red wine! so you can understand that i m very reluctant to try anything new, heck just the wrong dog biscuit can set him off, or a tiny thumbnail size of Tesco prime crumbed ham.

Looking at the ingredients of those joint things from sainsbugs, yumove has far more of the main items, namely
250mg Glucosamine HCl.
150mg Green Lipped Mussel (containing natural Chondroitin)
12.5mg Vitamin C

and he was on double dosage for the duration, if that didnt help nowt would

As it is, he's on his Wainwright's kibble and having to supplement that with part chicken and mash cause even that 10kg of metacam upsets him. Problem there is, the chicken and mash is lacking the proteins needed so its not a long term solution, but its a fantastic remedy for the squits, this is what i use..

Tesco breast fillets, they are the cheap ones about £1.50 for 2 fillets
Powder mash from tesco, 28p a pack, was the one with the least ingredients.

Boil 2 fillets for about 20 mins til no longer pink, let them cool
In the meantime, put 650ml of cold water into a bowl. (only 650ml, ignore packet and no butter etc)
Whisk the water whilst adding the mash, dont let it clump.
Once it starts to thicken, you can stop whisking and leave it, no need to heat it.
Finely cut up the 2 breasts into crumbs, then take half and stick it in some cling film and freeze it ready for next time, only need 1 breast per packet).
Take the remainder and mix it into the mash with a spoon.

I always have some chopped up chuck in the freezer ready......

Job done, ready to serve, used on its own, this will cure any squits, if you give it in the morning, you will see results later on. If you see nothing, dont be alarmed, when used on its own, Brandy may not go again til the next afternoon and they are smaller/harder too, once hard again, start adding their normal food with the mash, just a little for 1st meal and gradually increase to the mash has gone, by then you should have weaned back to normal foodstuff.

Its a godsend and works every time, sometimes Brandy doesnt go loo till after breaky, if its the squits, i will make up a batch and give him some there and the, even if hes just had his normal breaky, they wont burst, hes about 30kg and i give him about 2 decent pudding spoon sizes of the mash.
I used to buy the poopstop stuff from the vets or from PaH, nearly 20 quid a tub for him and it rarely helped, scrambled egg was terrible, came out the same colour it went in lol I swear by my method, pays to keep some in stock well, does for me thats for sure
Its not just food either, fireworks, thunder, someone visiting or taking him somewhere new, separation anxiety, car doors, dustbins and so on can set him off.

The vet an i have come to the conclusion that its food and stress related Colitis.
From your last comments i'd definitely agree stress is setting him off. My hound loves mash but it tends to make her loose so what works for her in terms of that won't necessarily work for your pooch. She also loves fireworks as long as she can see them, she'll stand at the window sill for ages if she can.
If she can't and it's just another noise she sulks and gets grumpy.

Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 20:24   #180
paddy74

Have you tried a so called "Moro soup"? It is a carrot soup, maybe you know it. It's something like an open secret under dog owners here in the south of Germany.

The easy variant: 1kg carrots, chopped into smaller pieces, 1 litre of water, cook for at least 1 hour. The easy 1kg-1l-1h. Mix the carrots and let it cool down a bit. Serve it lukewarm.

The "perfect" variant: 500g carrots, 1 litre water, cook for at least 90 minutes. Mix the carrots and fill up with boiling water up to 1 litre. 3g salt. Let it cool down a bit. Serve it lukewarm.

You can give it preventative, once a week, and in situations you need to stop it happening... I always have 2 litres in my freezer, just in case.

I know, it's always easy to say this or that helps, without even knowing the dog, but with this soup I'm 99% sure, it will work. Got that recommendation from an "old" dog trainer twenty years ago, used it on two of my own dogs, worked great. I do know from a lot of dog owners that use it as well.

And on the all-nervous front, I'd try some globulis. I know, I know, it's normally not my cup of tea either... But I have seen a lot of dogs that got better with them. I wouldn't know which ones are correct or what ingredients they would need, but if you're interested I can see, if I get a hold of a friend of mine, who is very knowledgeable in this area.
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post: