Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nearly About to Buy a V40

Views : 4844

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2020, 17:10   #11
anotheruser

Thanks so much for the advice and tips!
Although it looks like I won't be buying that particular model.

Payments are bank transfer only (I will be using a credit card to purchase).
Shame as it was the right car, right colour, right mileage.
They're very "we'll deliver to your home" too, which I'd rather drive / get the train and pick it up - even in this climate!
anotheruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 19:22   #12
fredoeurocars

Default V40cc D3 5CYL 2015

I own a V40cc D3 5CYL 2015 auto, 95 000kms, was my dad’s car bought as a Demo car when it was 15k kms. To be very fair the car is brilliant. I worked for many brands as a technician for 15 years, and iam quite picky on stuff. Not even a single problem in 5 years nor a blown bulb, no plastic rattle to be heard, no suspension squeak, only regular 1 year service, and front rotors/pads at 90k kms. Only downside would be the maximum steering angle a bit low when you wanna park or doing a U-turn. Comfort, engine awesome, fuel efficiency is around 6,5l/100, the auto is awesome for daily with heavy foot. For a comparison my mate gave me his Leon Fr tdi150hp DSG6 for 2 weeks, its a bit faster, gearbox more reactive...but i won’t trade it for mine, interior quality is far behind, plastic rattle over the place, front lower arms replaced twice for squeecks. And its better on MPG, i agree, but all in all, i keep the V40, loving it. Just my own point of view. For you to enjoy or not. See you guys
fredoeurocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 18:31   #13
anotheruser

So...

Now the current car has an ABS warning light that frequently lights up and something happening with the cruise control (the garage say until the abs is on all the time, don't worry too much - they know I'm getting rid), time to start this search again.

Sad that the second hand market is still high but I didn't expect much in the way of change.

Can I ask what year this dash screen came in? (attached). I really like it but think it's only in models that are out of my price range.

I have up to £10k to spend but want something that has done less than 35,000 miles, free or £30 tax and isn't white or blue. Sounds simple but not that easy to find one.
Not really bothered about this pack or that pack or if it looks like grandad should drive it.

Thinking I may have to spend less and get more miles though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201206_173032.jpg (42.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by anotheruser; Dec 6th, 2020 at 18:34.
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 19:08   #14
steV50

anotheruser

Can I ask what year this dash screen came in? (attached). I really like it but think it's only in models that are out of my price range.

That dash display is standard on V40 R Design and I think an option on all other models.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 21:38   #15
anotheruser

So now I'm a bit confused.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-deta...?atmobcid=soc3

This one says it's free tax but the AA website suggests it's due to pay £100 odd?

I really don't know now as our 11 plate diesel Golf is £30 tax but it seems the V40s I was looking at will all be £150 odd.

I've also noticed nearly every V40 seems to be the D2 engine, which someone said wasn't that great compared with a D3?
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 21:58   #16
steV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post

This one says it's free tax but the AA website suggests it's due to pay £100 odd?

I really don't know now as our 11 plate diesel Golf is £30 tax but it seems the V40s I was looking at will all be £150 odd.

I've also noticed nearly every V40 seems to be the D2 engine, which someone said wasn't that great compared with a D3?
That car has the 2.0L D2 engine which is Volvo's own engine and is similar to the four cylinder D3 but less powerful. Earlier D2 cars up to around 2015 have the 1.6 Ford/Peugeot engine.

Not sure about tax as I have a petrol V40.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 17:33   #17
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Quote:

The VED rate changed as of 1st April 2017. The gov.uk site says the car was 1st registered in March 2017 so it should be zero rated for VED. If it is post 1st April then it would attract either £135 or £155 VED.

The model you reference is the very base model for the V40 with the least 'powerful' D2 engine. In common with many other marques the base models, especially with the lower grade engines are really the bare minimum in most aspects. Items like the central screen and driver panel will be the lowest/simplest type available in the range.

In my experience the D2 that I have driven are OK as long as you drive sedately. The best range is around 2000-2200 rpm as after that all you really gain is a lot of noise. In my opinion you would be much better looking for at least an R design with a D3 or better still one of the new (post 2016) petrol engines. In contrast the T2 petrol is a much smoother, responsive car that only suffers from a lack of mid-speed acceleration (e.g. for overtaking).
I would go look at some R design and above mdoesl even though they may be out of price. That will give you an idea of what you are not going to get in a Momentum.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 18:11   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by steV50 View Post
That car has the 2.0L D2 engine which is Volvo's own engine and is similar to the four cylinder D3 but less powerful. Earlier D2 cars up to around 2015 have the 1.6 Ford/Peugeot engine.

Not sure about tax as I have a petrol V40.
2.0 VEA D2 (post 2015MY) preferable to 1.6 Ford/PSA engine.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 18:13   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:

The Active TFT display was standard on "LUX" spec models (whether R-Design or SE) and an option on others. I personally much prefer it to the normal dials - it's much more like the clear instruments that Volvo had prior to Ford penny pinching.

Also LUX models get HID ABL headlights - very desirable as they are brilliant.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 18:33   #20
anotheruser

Amazing, thanks.

There's two R designs that I think I can afford.
One just a few miles away, the other within 20 so that's good.

ONE: D3 (r design), 43,000 miles, 11k, 17 plate. Been up since August though.
TWO: D3 Momentum navplus, 41,000 miles, 9k, 66 plate.

Should I consider a petrol?
Our 11 plate Golf is a diesel and although only 1.6, very sprightly off the mark. Always thought diesels had the edge, hence only looking at those.
But it seems the more I read, the more I should stick with petrol. What's the T2 engine like?

Last edited by anotheruser; Jan 6th, 2021 at 20:31.
The Following User Says Thank You to anotheruser For This Useful Post: