Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9236

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2020, 10:45   #141
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Guess which one is not as it should be?

Wrong, all apart from far left are 0.8ohm, far left is 2.4ohm, as to why #2 is black, well, you tell me?

Having dived a little deeper, these new plugs are 11v
My Bosch plugs are only 4.4v......
The new plugs sound right according to this diagram, Pg55 :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y05_Wiring.pdf

Glow plug relay 2/14 and glow plugs 20/22-20/26 are on the left and are fed with battery voltage.

Looking at the second plug in on your pic, it's either overfueling or has incomplete combustion in the cylinder. Is that the one that was cold in the engine?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 01:08   #142
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The new plugs sound right according to this diagram, Pg55 :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y05_Wiring.pdf

Glow plug relay 2/14 and glow plugs 20/22-20/26 are on the left and are fed with battery voltage.

Looking at the second plug in on your pic, it's either overfueling or has incomplete combustion in the cylinder. Is that the one that was cold in the engine?
I think i see the issue, you're looking at an MY05 and whilst my car is a 56 plate, it is, in fact, an MY07 Euro 4 engine, this could be why they show as different plug voltage, thats just a guess mind, i aint got a Scooby....

Anyway, Vida says my plugs are 8653880, so when I stick that into eBay and scroll past all of those listings that are the same and hit the second Bosch listing (it shows the details of the plug), I find this info on said plug:-

Length Mm: 135
4,4 Rated Voltage V:
M 8 X 1,0 Thread Size:
8 Spanner Size:
8 Tightening Torque From Nm:
10 To Tightening Torque Nm:
PIN Port Type:
28 Fitting Depth Mm:
93 Cone Pitch:
Pencil-Type Glow Plug,After-Glow CapableGlow Plug Type:
Glow PlugProduct:
0250403001Part Number:
BOSCH

The onus was on me, I should have double-checked the oem number before ordering.

I couldnt tell you which plug came out of number one but if i was to guess, then it would be the one reading 2.4ohm, seen as they should be under 1, according the mr Cheshire aka SiRob on YT
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 08:20   #143
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I think i see the issue, you're looking at an MY05 and whilst my car is a 56 plate, it is, in fact, an MY07 Euro 4 engine, this could be why they show as different plug voltage, thats just a guess mind, i aint got a Scooby....

Anyway, Vida says my plugs are 8653880, so when I stick that into eBay and scroll past all of those listings that are the same and hit the second Bosch listing (it shows the details of the plug), I find this info on said plug:-

Length Mm: 135
4,4 Rated Voltage V:
M 8 X 1,0 Thread Size:
8 Spanner Size:
8 Tightening Torque From Nm:
10 To Tightening Torque Nm:
PIN Port Type:
28 Fitting Depth Mm:
93 Cone Pitch:
Pencil-Type Glow Plug,After-Glow CapableGlow Plug Type:
Glow PlugProduct:
0250403001Part Number:
BOSCH

The onus was on me, I should have double-checked the oem number before ordering.

I couldnt tell you which plug came out of number one but if i was to guess, then it would be the one reading 2.4ohm, seen as they should be under 1, according the mr Cheshire aka SiRob on YT
Curses and naughty words! I didn't realise that yours was a newer engine than the registration suggested!

That puts a new spin on things and needs a bit more thought!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 17:42   #144
Willow place

It is a bit like the " Forsyth Saga" of many many years ago ! But it is Informative, SO many issues that have appeared , but really hope it gets sorted Bashy , you don't need to get the Starting Handle out on Christmas Day !!
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 02:33   #145
Bashy
Aged Member

lol, well, the misfire is resolved, well, down to 6C so far, but even when it was this cold before, there was at least a cough in there somewhere, there's not even wee church house creeper anymore, so far.

The solar charger is helping in the fact that there is no more laboured starting, its a pretty quick turn over, but if the car has not been used for 24hr or more, we're still at the fuel issue, its like the fuel pressure is good if used at least once in a 24hr period, ie, used every day. If there is a break in that period, ie it rained one day so I didn't take the car up the woods and then tried it the following day, it takes longer to start but without the misfire, (so far).

Its going to get colder again soon, deffo mid-singles, maybe lower, maybe a white Xmas (at least 1 snowflake somewhere in the UK lol) but might be lucky to see a little sleet in my locale on the Xmas eve, prob colder early Jan, the charts keep changing as its still a bit too far out in forecasting terms
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 11:01   #146
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like your overdose of injector cleaner has had a positive effect! Maybe a swift blast up the A11 and back will improve it more.

See how it goes when it's colder, as you say it looks like we're in for some colder weather soon :

https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/te...f#detailIndex5

Still not sub-zero but close to freezing most nights from monday.

Old Dec 20th, 2020, 02:05   #147
Bashy
Aged Member

There is an outside chance of seeing a flake or two over the xmas period, inc the on The day (sleet early morn, i will take it lol), strongest chances are towards the end of the month, early Jan.

I dont like WU/weather channel forecasts, i tend to use my own 9 day or Netweather's charts or just for a laugh Metcheck, only cause they go out 6 months (hence the laugh).

Anything thats further than 7 days out can be taken with a pinch of salt, even the next day can be wrong
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 03:08   #148
paddy74

How about simulating the colder conditions eg with an ice spray or cooling spray? Spraying the injectors one at a time, then the glow plugs? Just an idea, do at your own risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 09:47   #149
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There is an outside chance of seeing a flake or two over the xmas period, inc the on The day (sleet early morn, i will take it lol), strongest chances are towards the end of the month, early Jan.

I dont like WU/weather channel forecasts, i tend to use my own 9 day or Netweather's charts or just for a laugh Metcheck, only cause they go out 6 months (hence the laugh).

Anything thats further than 7 days out can be taken with a pinch of salt, even the next day can be wrong
If i want a reasonably good long range forecast i go outside and sniff the air and also take notice of cloud formations, particularly the yellowy-pink ones this time of year as they normally mean snow in the next 2 weeks. Other than that i tend to use the "weather rock" idea.

Usually more reliable than the official methods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
How about simulating the colder conditions eg with an ice spray or cooling spray? Spraying the injectors one at a time, then the glow plugs? Just an idea, do at your own risk.
Good idea but i think it's more about the ambient temperature at the moment to actually make sure it is temperature related. It could be as simple as dirty injectors and the recent overdose of injector cleaner seems to be pointing that way.
However there have been several false positives on this problem so time will tell. Worth remembering for the future to see if a specific component is maybe reacting badly to colder temperatures.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 17:02   #150
Willow place

Hey, Bashy, how did you get on with the Solar Charger ? Did you have a Permanent Live at the Ciggy socket, just asking as considering getting a solar charger as the car is only used once every 4-5 weeks now .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post: