Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9231

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2020, 01:33   #81
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Might be worth checking the listings on fleabay to see if buying several fitting kits is cheaper than one at a time? It's a lot of money for a couple of bolts, a clamp and a couple of seals but it has a lot to hold in.
Not many of my fitting kits on ebay, it should be cheaper form FRF now that they are open again, oh wait, are they though, ain't they in Wales?

I spose i could reuse the old clamp and bolts cheshire does in one of his vids, just need to bend the clamp a little like I had to with this last refitting. If all goes well, I can then look at buying the kit, will save money whilst experimenting... I just cannot believe Vida shows no errors relating to this, the thing burps and farts for about 20 seconds, surely that's worthy of a prize? strange....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 02:07   #82
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Not many of my fitting kits on ebay, it should be cheaper form FRF now that they are open again, oh wait, are they though, ain't they in Wales?

I spose i could reuse the old clamp and bolts cheshire does in one of his vids, just need to bend the clamp a little like I had to with this last refitting. If all goes well, I can then look at buying the kit, will save money whilst experimenting... I just cannot believe Vida shows no errors relating to this, the thing burps and farts for about 20 seconds, surely that's worthy of a prize? strange....
You could always try Paul at Hylton Gott, they normally do the VOC discount there and it's a nice drive to Crimplesham unless it's snowing/sleeting/raining/mizzling.

I was going to suggest reusing the old clamps, bolts etc as a temporary thing to find out what's what and then replace whichever ones after.

I suspect the system is programmed to ignore a bit of faffing and farting about for a short time as it usually will do that once the fuel filter has been changed or drained.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 03:25   #83
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
You could always try Paul at Hylton Gott, they normally do the VOC discount there and it's a nice drive to Crimplesham unless it's snowing/sleeting/raining/mizzling.

I was going to suggest reusing the old clamps, bolts etc as a temporary thing to find out what's what and then replace whichever ones after.

I suspect the system is programmed to ignore a bit of faffing and farting about for a short time as it usually will do that once the fuel filter has been changed or drained.
I try to weigh up the cheaper option, shipping cost or fuel, prob about the same to Gotts, been a few times, if it's snowing, all the more reason to go, for me, love the stuff, more so driving in it

Ya probably right re vida, still, no excuse, doesn't help lol
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 03:55   #84
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I try to weigh up the cheaper option, shipping cost or fuel, prob about the same to Gotts, been a few times, if it's snowing, all the more reason to go, for me, love the stuff, more so driving in it

Ya probably right re vida, still, no excuse, doesn't help lol
Sometimes if you ask nicely, they'll send bits out and often (if it's small enough) at no cost.

Not keen on driving in snow, it's not me i worry about but the muppets that have never slid a wheel in ager or fun come to that. They have no ide what to do in the white stuff and usually cause 99% of the accidents that happen.

The one thing i always remember with computers and have done for ~40 years is "GIGO" which is a computer acronym for Garbage In, Garbage Out.

For example, on the 7/9xx a failed/failing fuel pump often triggers the EICV fault code. The EICV isn't faulty but the ECU sees that an input to it has no change on idle speed so triggers the fault code for the EICV when in reality, it has no fuel to increase the engine speed with!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 04:02   #85
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Sometimes if you ask nicely, they'll send bits out and often (if it's small enough) at no cost.

Not keen on driving in snow, it's not me i worry about but the muppets that have never slid a wheel in ager or fun come to that. They have no ide what to do in the white stuff and usually cause 99% of the accidents that happen.

The one thing i always remember with computers and have done for ~40 years is "GIGO" which is a computer acronym for Garbage In, Garbage Out.

For example, on the 7/9xx a failed/failing fuel pump often triggers the EICV fault code. The EICV isn't faulty but the ECU sees that an input to it has no change on idle speed so triggers the fault code for the EICV when in reality, it has no fuel to increase the engine speed with!
Ah yeah, good point, they have sent small stuff out before FOC, such as sump plug washers etc

You would think that technology nowadays would be able to distinguish between a false alarm.
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 08:02   #86
Bashy
Aged Member

I was right with the snow, shame it didn't start when the rain did else we would have 18cm by now
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 10:37   #87
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah yeah, good point, they have sent small stuff out before FOC, such as sump plug washers etc

You would think that technology nowadays would be able to distinguish between a false alarm.
They're handy that way!

As for modern technology, it can be done but don't forget that the system was created by Bosch. In typical Germanic fashion, they don't see anything but the perfect world where all components remain in tolerance perefctly throughout there lives, none fail or become slow/lazy so anomolies are created where the wrong fault code is generated because of the actions of a something outside of the small parameters they have knitted for the system.

Quote:
I was right with the snow, shame it didn't start when the rain did else we would have 18cm by now
It was raining at 4am when i crawled into bed after flaking on the sofa. I was expecting snow sometime soon as i noticed the sky was that strange pinky/yellow/grey a couple of weeks back which usually is a good predictor of snow about 2 weeks away.

Got 2-3" of the white stuff here now and still falling thick and fast. Talking of which, a weather warning popped up on my phone about 45 minutes ago for heavy snow from 8am onwards. Only 3/4 hour after it came into force!

Old Dec 5th, 2020, 00:50   #88
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
They're handy that way!

As for modern technology, it can be done but don't forget that the system was created by Bosch. In typical Germanic fashion, they don't see anything but the perfect world where all components remain in tolerance perefctly throughout there lives, none fail or become slow/lazy so anomolies are created where the wrong fault code is generated because of the actions of a something outside of the small parameters they have knitted for the system.

It was raining at 4am when i crawled into bed after flaking on the sofa. I was expecting snow sometime soon as i noticed the sky was that strange pinky/yellow/grey a couple of weeks back which usually is a good predictor of snow about 2 weeks away.

Got 2-3" of the white stuff here now and still falling thick and fast. Talking of which, a weather warning popped up on my phone about 45 minutes ago for heavy snow from 8am onwards. Only 3/4 hour after it came into force!

Met office app and WeatherPro are good at arriving late to the party lol
We only had 1cm at the most....
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 11:16   #89
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Met office app and WeatherPro are good at arriving late to the party lol
We only had 1cm at the most....
Had a fair bit more than that here!

She sat down in confusion (1st time seeing snow as far as i remember) but was even more confused when the soft white fluffy stuff had turned crunchy at the end of the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 12:40   #90
Bashy
Aged Member

I can't believe you had more snow than here, we're only a few miles away as the crow flies my boys go mad, Loki is the worst, barking and trying to catch the flakes....