Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'97 S70 T5 manual in Coral Red - POSSIBLY for sale

Views : 2251

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2020, 12:52   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default '97 S70 T5 manual in Coral Red - POSSIBLY for sale

As you may know, I bought this S70 T5 about 6 months ago, sight unseen off ebay. It turned out to be needing a few undisclosed repairs and a thorough service, but I must admit its a superb car now.

As I intended this to be a long term keeper, I did a substantial amount of work and have only bought genuine Volvo or top quality parts - and have spent many many hours and shed much blood working on it For example I spent about 12-15 hours cleaning and treating the leather interior! I've spent well over £1k on it (excluding wheels & tyres) since I bought it - mostly on genuine Volvo parts.

To summarise the work completed -

cambelt (Volvo)
cambelt tensioner (OEM)
cambelt idler (Volvo)
aux belt (Continental)
aux belt tensioner (OEM)
waterpump (OEM)
thermostat (Febi)
silicon coolant hoses inc heater hoses (Do88)
coolant reservoir (Volvo)
PCV service and breather pipe upgrade
HT leads (Bougicord)
spark plugs (Volvo)
distributor cap (Volvo)
rotor arm (Volvo)
vacuum hoses (silicon)
turbo control valve (Pierburg)
pollen/cabin filter (OEM)

throttlebody cleaned
IAC cleaned

I'm sure there are other parts that I've renewed along the way, but those are the headline items.

So thats the brief description... but I'm only CONSIDERING selling the car as I have the chance of getting an 850R In order to get this (assuming it is ok), I'll be looking to sell the S70 for £3500.

Remember that the car has the following mods, installed by the previous owner -

V70R front bumper (genuine Volvo)
C70 crystal headlamps (genuine Volvo)
C70 eggcrate grille (genuine Volvo)
17x7.5" Comet wheels with quality tyres (2x Michelin PilotSport and 2x Pirelli)
Strut brace (genuine Volvo)

(Note that I'll be keeping my Satellite wheels and new tyres, and the SC-805 radio)

Would anyone be interested in the car at this price? If not, I'm happy to keep it, as I have way more money invested in the car than this - and quite simply its a really good car now! Needless to say, its now probably one of the best and most attractive S70s around IMHO. The only issues outstanding are some dash switch lamps are out, and the indicators don't always self-cancel.

Note the private reg will stay on the car - this has been valued at £400 by RegTransfers.

It has almost 140k miles up now, and the MoT is due on 24th June 2021. The car is located in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

Let me know if you're genuinely interested - or if you think the asking price (£3500) is too high/low.

Thanks for reading!

Pics of the car with the original Comet wheels, which the car will be fitted with when sold -

Last edited by RollingThunder; Dec 9th, 2020 at 13:00.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 13:58   #2
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Well that's a text book example of how to advertise a car!

Looks great.

Not for me but if, and only if, you sell it, the next owner's going to have a job keeping it to the same standard that you've set.

GLTWS (or not as the case may be)
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 15:16   #3
fastT5
fastT5

looks Gorgeous . wish i had the cash .. and the leather ! looks new, can you really bring back smelly old looking leather like in one of my tdi s.
fastT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fastT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 15:32   #4
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

GLWTS. If it sells I'd be very interested in knowing how much you get as I might be looking at selling my S70 in the near future which is pretty similar to yours spec/age/mileage wise. With that in mind I've been thinking about asking prices and I personally think you are about right at £3,500. There's only one S70 on autotrader ATM - a saffy R manual that's asking £4,500.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 11:03   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

shame you are selling i was hoping to see this car in 2021 at some meets good luck with your potential purchase or the 850r keep us posted

Last edited by Simmy; Dec 10th, 2020 at 11:08. Reason: more info
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 15:28   #6
Lmason
L Mason

Default s70

nice looking car, worth keeping if you have the space. im so reluctant to sell mine ive got it advertised at £8k. mine is the se model, yours looks like its the cd model, with electric seats, full leather.
i dont intend selling mine, hence high asking price, if someone offers me £8k or more ill take it, if advertised too cheap itll sell. its the only way i can make up my mind to sell mine.
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 16:40   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks everyone. The sale would depend upon three things -

1. The 850R being in good nick

2. Me securing a decent price for the S70

3. The most difficult bit - getting wifey to agree to the swap. I got a load of grief when I sold the S40 to get the S70 - I told her it was the last car I'd buy for at least three years. Somehow, I've got to persuade her that the 850R is a good bet, and that IT will be the last car I buy for three years... I can feel my ears aching already
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 18:11   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Well, coincidentally wifey jokingly asked if I'd been looking for a new car as something had popped up in her facebook feed... So I grabbed the opportunity and dropped the 850R bomb.

I'm still alive, and I'm stunned to say that she said I should absolutely go for it! She thought I was nuts when I sold our old 850R, so I'm going to do the deal if the car is ok, and will put some pics in a new thread here. I can't believe it was as uneventful as that ! I was bricking it lol.

The S70 won't be put on sale just yet, as I want to make sure there are no nasty surprises on the 850R (assuming that I buy it) and I'll then be doing the usual full service, cambelt, PCV... deja vu!!! So the S70 will still be the daily driver for a while.
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 10:47   #9
Lmason
L Mason

Default s70

you persuaded the wife without drugging her up or getting her drunk....
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 12:18   #10
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Yes! I'm as stunned as you are lol. Mind you, our last 850R literally saved our lives*, and we still have very fond memories of that car.

*Short version - We were coming back home after a day out at Cleethorpes when we very VERY nearly had a head-on with a car that was overtaking a bus on a blind corner. Wifey curled up in a ball and screamed, and we both lost a bit of weewee. It was EXCEPTIONALLY close to being a fatal RTA. Because of the fantastic roadholding of the 850R I was able to go half off the road, so half the car was on tarmac and the other half was going over the ragged edge of the tarmac and into deep muddy holes, but it held its line perfectly as we went around the bend. It was so close that my door mirror got a scratch on it - but that was all the damage we sustained. I'm sure that anything else would have lost the line, and we'd have ended up in the ditch somersaulting end over end at 40ish mph - and would probably have died.

Update - I've just come off the phone with the seller. The car is in Japan still and won't be exported until its sold... So it is now sold! It'll be a few months before it lands, but I'm absolutely delighted - it has the light interior with the birch trim that I adore, and the red paintwork will polish up well. Being an IT guy, I've tracked down the Japanese supplier and have seen **their** inspection sheet All good apart from the ABS/TRACS flagging an issue and it being dirty. I'll ask the seller to send the ECU to ecu-repairs for them to fix, or else I'll repair it myself - it'll be the dry joints issue again most likely. The seller will be fully valeting it anyway, so that'll be that sorted - not that the interior looks that bad in the pics.

12m MoT included, all duties, VAT etc paid, fully waxoyled underneath and anything not working will be repaired, along with any cosmetic blemishes. The wheels aren't correct (not Volans) but I was going to fit my refurbished Satellites anyway, so no problem with that. The only snag was that the price is fixed, no negotiation, you pay the screen price or walk away. When I asked about that, they said its because they start to do all the import/registration paperwork straight away, so they have to pay out a wedge before the car even lands in the UK.

So I am now (almost) the owner of a shiny red Jap import 850R saloon!

Last edited by RollingThunder; Dec 11th, 2020 at 12:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: