Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio questions

Views : 529

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2019, 18:35   #11
Dippydog
Premier Member

I've found a receipt for £50 among the paperwork for the 805 which is/was from a 1999 S40 so obviously a previous owner swapped out whatever was previously fitted for the present one for reasons unknown.Possibly my poor photography but the parcel shelf speakers are indeed wired up and working.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2019, 20:01   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does the date on the receipt for the 805 coincide with about the time you bought the car? If so that would add weight to my theory about them changing it to sell it.

No knowing if that is an original Volvo cable unless you can find some markings on it. Then it would be a case of finding what the 960 had when it left the factory and fitting that and its associated CD changer. Might be a backwards step.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 20:39   #13
Bjorn960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
No data? How does the head unit tell the CD changer which disc to play, whether to skip or repeat a track and so on?
Some sets even send the audio via data and let the head unit use DACs inside it to decode it.
There is also a permanent live feed to the changer so you can eject the cartridge even with the keys in your pocket.
A CD changer can perfectly be controlled by an analog signal. I am pretty sure the wire is for the changer in the boot ;-)
Bjorn960 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bjorn960 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2019, 21:22   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn960 View Post
A CD changer can perfectly be controlled by an analog signal. I am pretty sure the wire is for the changer in the boot ;-)
I didn't say it couldn't. Even an analog signal that controls something is regarded as data though, not just a digital signal so the requirement for data connections within that cable still exist.

Something we definitely agree on now is that the cable is for A CD changer, the question still remains as to whether it's a Volvo CD changer or another one.
The car is 20+ years old, there's no guarantee the CD changer fitted was factory fitted or even dealer-fitted as an aftersales option/upgrade. It could be for a totally different brand and that means there's no guarantee the cable is compatible.
I also know of one car maker that fitted an upgrade head unit and CD changer instead of the normal one for a particular model. Fitting the normal one in resulted in no CD changer action, despite being a known good unit, tested on another vehicle with the "normal" set-up.
The problem was the cable - fitted the correct (different manufacturer) head unit and CD changer and bingo, it worked.

Both head units were branded with the car manufacturers name though, despite being different manufacturers in the first place.

The basic rule is - never assume!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 18th, 2019, 23:35   #15
Bjorn960

"The basic rule is - never assume"!

I know but i know Volvo's are pretty much pre-wired from factory for all kind of accessories, even when these accessories are not order at the sale.
Bjorn960 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bjorn960 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2019, 00:29   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn960 View Post
"The basic rule is - never assume"!

I know but i know Volvo's are pretty much pre-wired from factory for all kind of accessories, even when these accessories are not order at the sale.
A very valid point but was a CD changer on the options list for a 960 of this age and if so, would it have been mounted under the parcel shelf?

If so, would you happen to know model numbers so the OP can try and find one, if he wants to of course.
Failing that maybe we can find a link to a handbook/manual for the 805, it's even possible the CD changer lead will plug into it and he can add a compatible changer.

Just to put a bit of padding on the example i gave earlier about the CD changer and head unit not being compatible with the lead fitted in the non-Volvo i was referring to, the Premium system the car should have had was made by Clarion, the "normal" system was Philips, both with CD changers and very similar looking cables.
Given the year of the car and the fact the Premium system had been dropped from the options list (it was originally standard fit on this model) i fitted a normal system and the CD changer didn't work. I later found out from other evidence gathered from the car it was in fact built about a year before registration at which point the Premium (Clarion) sound system was still available.
Eventually i found such a system and fitted it. The lead it came with had an intermittent fault and just on a hunch, i tried the lead that was in the car originally. Lo and behold, it all worked perfectly! Meanwhile i'd found the correct lead, brand new in the packaging in the states on a Buy it Now on ebay and had bought it. Lucky i had really as the original lead developed the same fault as the one that had come with the head unit and changer.
I had the interior completely out some months later and took the opportunity to fit the new lead correctly as it had been working perfectly. Sadly i let the system go with the car when i sold it but i still had the Philips head unit and changer :

I should really change the colouring to green LEDs to match the rest of the instruments, switches etc but for now it will have to stay as it is.

Old May 19th, 2019, 09:38   #17
Dippydog
Premier Member

Receipt for the SC-805 now fitted is from 2011,so obviously not fitted to sell the car on[at least this time round as I've only had it for just under two weeks]according to the owners handbook that came with the car there were 3 options of radio for the 960 a CR-906[a single din unit]a SC-801[this has an asterisk which corresponds to a note at the bottom of the page which says "Autralia-see separate supplement"-so possibly not a UK option?]and finally a SC-700.Handbook also says a multi-changer available separately but makes no mention of model number/designation only that it's a 6 disc changer.
Old May 19th, 2019, 10:07   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First and easiest thing to point out is the one for Australia won't work here because of different FM frequencies.

Second and of more use to you :

https://accessories.volvocars.com/Le...R_GB_NL_DE.pdf

If you look at pages 10 and 47 (by pdf reader page counter, not document page numbers), you'll see the SC-805 and in the small print, it gives the Volvo P/No for the manual.
On the second bit you'll see the CD changer that turns out to be compatible with not only the CR-906 but also the SC-805 so if you can find one complete with mounting screws/bolts etc, it should simply bolt into place under the parcel shelf or hat tray as Volvo call it. Copy&pasted from the bit about the "Extra magasin" :

One of the smallest on the market, 262 x 68 x 162 mm.The CD-changer is loaded with a box containing six discs.This provides non-stop play for up to six hours.The changer is placed in the boot. In 4-door cars thechanger hangs under the hat shelf. In 5-door cars, it isinstalled vertically on the right-hand side in the boot.Operated from the driver’s seat with the help of a radiowith built-in control or a separate control (purchasedseparately).

It mentions the wiring kit for cars not pre-wired :

Cars WITHOUT pre-routed CD wiring:+ Wiring kit 9452 032-7

Assuming the lead you have in the boot is the original, it should also be plug'n'play as well.

Old May 19th, 2019, 18:44   #19
Dippydog
Premier Member

Excellent information thank you.I shall keep my eyes open for one of those.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: