Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£10 MoT Halfords

Views : 1951

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2019, 19:30   #11
RobQuads

My local halfords was really good on my old octavia vRS, picked up things they should do i.e. broken plate bulbs, poor wipers etc but never created work that wasn't genuine.

Arguably Halfords were better than Ford where frequently I was told I should get new brakes pads / discs when there was loads of life still in them (i.e pads with 50% of material left)
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 21:02   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
It's unlikely that an MOT tester would risk his certification (and livelihood) by failing vehicles on invented faults.
Not every "fault" is black and white or provable one way or another.
I had a fail on the indicator bulbs not being orange enough which is a matter of opinion.
I had a spare bulb kit in the car which they wouldn't let me fit myself as the car was under test conditions.
If I had fitted them, they would have charged me a retest fee and they wouldn't fit my genuine Volvo bulbs because they hadn't supplied them.
I had to pay for 2 new bulbs plus fitting which was slightly less expensive and less inconvenient than booking a retest which they wouldn't fit in that day.

They were technically being correct but showed none of the common sense you'd get from an independent receiving the full test fee.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 13:19   #13
Roosterb

Well my XC90 had its £10 MoT at Halfords today and passed with no issues.
They did refuse to test it yesterday due to illegal character spacing on my reg plates but that's my fault not theirs. No up selling or any other pressure. Only downside was communication with the staff was at "grunt" level.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 14:48   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Not every "fault" is black and white or provable one way or another.
I had a fail on the indicator bulbs not being orange enough which is a matter of opinion.
I had a spare bulb kit in the car which they wouldn't let me fit myself as the car was under test conditions.
If I had fitted them, they would have charged me a retest fee and they wouldn't fit my genuine Volvo bulbs because they hadn't supplied them.
I had to pay for 2 new bulbs plus fitting which was slightly less expensive and less inconvenient than booking a retest which they wouldn't fit in that day.

They were technically being correct but showed none of the common sense you'd get from an independent receiving the full test fee.
Isn't the retest free within 10 working days?
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 15:18   #15
RobQuads

Quote:
It depends on what needs testing according to https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Looks like Lamps are only free if you take it back the next day, any later and it will cost
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobQuads For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:18   #16
volvocat

During a lull in Volvo ownership I had a few Chryslers (yes, I admit it!) and two were MOT’d at Halfords on cheapie vouchers.
These cars (PT Cruiser & Crossfire SRT6) are known for electrical and sensor issues so, although working well pre-test, I was still a little nervous, but they both sailed through without advisories or any attempt at up-selling - and I hadn’t bought a thing from them.
I can only conclude it’s a similar situation to the main dealer issues often highlighted on here - it totally depends on staff/management attitude at any given branch.
It shouldn’t be - but that’s life these days...
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 13:13   #17
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged. In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged.

NB (http://mottesting.org.uk/mot-retest-...tion-fail.html)
Free Retest Items
If the failed vehicle is taken away but then brought back to the same test station and retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only then no fee is charged for a retest:

Partial Re-Examination Items - (No Additional Fee)
Bonnet Horn Sharp Edges
Bootlid Lamps Steering Wheel
Brake Pedal Antislip Loading Door Tailboard
Direction Indicators Mirrors Tailgate
Doors Rear Reflectors VIN
Dropsides Registration Plates Windscreen and Glass
Fuel Filler Cap Seat Belts Wipers and Washers
Hazard Warning Seats Wheels and Tyres

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jun 14th, 2019 at 13:16.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2020, 09:39   #18
DriverDen

Default MoTs in the past

I remember many years ago I had an old Metro that I took for an MoT and it failed on multiple points and I was given a quote for the repair. I then took it to another MoT station and had the test repeated, it failed again on multiple points, but different points to the first, and I was given a quote for repair. I took it the garage that offered me the lowest quote and I ended up with a MoT pass, but the multiple failures from the other garage were never looked at.

These days I pay and take my kids cars to a local MoT station for him to test em as I don't want anything missed, and the kids pay for the repairs anyway!
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2020, 02:58   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDen View Post
I remember many years ago I had an old Metro that I took for an MoT and it failed on multiple points and I was given a quote for the repair. I then took it to another MoT station and had the test repeated, it failed again on multiple points, but different points to the first, and I was given a quote for repair. I took it the garage that offered me the lowest quote and I ended up with a MoT pass, but the multiple failures from the other garage were never looked at.

These days I pay and take my kids cars to a local MoT station for him to test em as I don't want anything missed, and the kids pay for the repairs anyway!
I bet its harder now as they record the fail points and advisories, I assume they tester checks for these prior to doing the test?
Old May 15th, 2020, 10:28   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I bet its harder now as they record the fail points and advisories, I assume they tester checks for these prior to doing the test?
No , the test is done fresh ... who is going to pay for the time it takes to check the previously failed items which may or may not be valid ..? It's cheaper to get the fresh MOT and see what happens..