Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indecision regarding trim levels: Inscription vs R-Design

Views : 3234

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 12:12   #11
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30 YAP View Post
No you cannot get the 21” r design wheel option in Inscription. Unless you buy the wheels package separately for a rediculous amount of money. I ordered an r design XC60 but not pro and wanted the 21” wheels. Was qouted somewhere above £4k, lol.

Yes almost 5000 euros. I asked my dealer. It's ridiculous expensive.
Old May 20th, 2019, 13:19   #12
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
R Design seats are a bit hard at first- at least for me, coming from the plush V60 comfort seats- first few weeks of ownership the impression was that I was sitting ON the seats rather than IN them It took some time to get used to them, and I guess they start giving a bit after a few weeks- now I just find them perfect.

The rest of interior is up to one's taste- I love the charcoal alcantara seat inserts/headliner combo with the silver dash accents. One thing exclusive to R is satin (matte) silver grille surround/trim on the outside- I personally dislike chrome..

Make sure you test drive a car with 21-inch wheels first.. I found the ride extremely uncomfortable- at least on french roads I opted for 19s myself..

Cheers!

I agree...i also dislike.

My friend if you found the ride with 21 inch wheels uncomfortable on french roads... imagine on portuguese roads I also opted for 19s myself...even if i admit that the 21-inch wheels are gorgeous and aesthetically add a lot to the R-Design. 19 inch wheels are ok i like the design but are kinda small. Well it all comes to what do you want for your car...comfort or aesthetics.

Before i ordered mine (XC60) i drove an Inscription D5 AWD and a R-Design Pro D4 FWD. The Inscription one with 20 inch wheels and standard suspension and the R-Pro with 21 inch wheels and air suspension. Inscription had blonde leather and a more luxurious feeling for sure. More airy more "fresh" ambience more lightly atmosphere. But the dealer warned me... in time your jeans will be all over the place and you'll be constantly cleaning leather in order to prevent stains and discolouring. Eventually in a long term use blonde leather will show quicker wear and tear. R-Design interior is more sportive in my opinion and still luxurious but not in that fancy refinement touch Inscription has. And i love way more R-design exterior than the Inscription one.

When i first drove the Inscription even small potholes were noticeable inside the car. I said to myself... wait until you drive the R-Design with 21 inch wheels. For sure it will be hell inside. I spoke to the dealer 2 days after and he told me that a R-Design with 21"s was uncomfortable as hell on our roads even with the air suspension on. I could not even imagine without air suspension. 21 inch wheels on R-Design standard stiffer suspension? Yeaah right... So some days later i drove the R-Design and let me tell you... you could feel every bump every pothole inside the car. Naaah... not for me. So i ordered R-Design but with 19 inch wheels. As i said before...it all comes to what you want and what are you able to sacrifice... aesthetics or comfort.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; May 20th, 2019 at 13:31.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 13:22   #13
miguelduarte42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
My friend if you found the ride with 21 inch wheels uncomfortable on french roads... imagine on portuguese roads I also opted for 19s myself...even if i admit that the 21-inch wheels are gorgeous and aesthetically add a lot to the R-Design. 19 inch wheels are ok i like the design but are kinda small. Well it all comes to what do you want for your car...comfort or aesthetics.

Before i ordered mine (XC60) i drove an Inscription D5 AWD and a R-Design Pro D4 FWD. The Inscription one with 20 inch wheels and standard suspension and the R-Pro with 21 inch wheels and air suspension. Inscription had blonde leather and a more luxurious feeling for sure. More airy more "fresh" ambience more lightly atmosphere. But the dealer warned me... in time your jeans will be all over the place and you'll be constantly cleaning leather in order to prevent stains and discolouring. Eventually in a long term use blonde leather will show quicker wear and tear. R-Design interior is more sportive in my opinion and still luxurious but not in that fancy refinement Inscription has. And i love way more R-design exterior than the Inscription one.

When i first drove the Inscription even small potholes were noticeable inside the car. I said to myself... wait until you drive the R-Design with 21 inch wheels. For sure it will be hell inside. I spoke to the dealer 2 days after and he told me that a R-Design with 21"s was uncomfortable as hell on our roads even with the air suspension on. I could not even imagine without air suspension. 21 inch wheels on R-Design standard stiffer suspension? Yeaah right... So some days later i drove the R-Design and let me tell you... you could feel every bump every pothole inside the car. Naaah... not for me. So i ordered R-Design but with 19 inch wheels. As i said before...it all comes to what you want and what are you able to sacrifice... aesthetics or comfort.
Hehe, I guess we both had the same journey! I ended up going for the 19-inch D4 FWD R-Design in crystal white. Also from Portugal
miguelduarte42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miguelduarte42 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2019, 14:12   #14
Sphinx2000

In the UK you can now order a r design with a light grey interior. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet though.
Old May 20th, 2019, 14:13   #15
Sphinx2000

21" wheels with air suspension on mine, and the ride is very smooth.
Old May 20th, 2019, 14:25   #16
jonnyu

The main difference between the Inscription and the R-Design is basically deciding if you want a sporty or a luxury experience.

It has to do with personal preference. I love my interior and I can ensure that there is no problem with the blond leather. You can remove dirt or stains very easily. The seats are also comfortable but for example the leg extension works better on the R-design.

Just a small comment regarding the rims: 19" tires are not very expensive, if you start going above 20" it becomes really expensive (or as per the Portuguese expression "caros pa crl").

I chose to stick with the 19" wheels because they are cheaper to maintain. Since I have air suspension, 19" or 22" would ride the same so the comfort argument is not valid here but riding on a stiffer r-design suspension, you will notice the car a bit harder on bumps.

Last edited by jonnyu; May 20th, 2019 at 14:28.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:11   #17
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelduarte42 View Post
Hehe, I guess we both had the same journey! I ended up going for the 19-inch D4 FWD R-Design in crystal white. Also from Portugal

And i bet we both have the same... dealership. Ascendum Auto Lisboa?
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:13   #18
miguelduarte42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
And i bet we both have the same... dealership. Ascendum Auto Lisboa?
Yes. And from your description of what the sales rep said, I would even say that we both had the same one: F.C.?

Last edited by miguelduarte42; May 20th, 2019 at 16:16.
miguelduarte42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:14   #19
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
In the UK you can now order a r design with a light grey interior. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet though.

Yes...you're right. Even so i still prefer mine. Light grey doesn't match somehow.
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:18   #20
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
21" wheels with air suspension on mine, and the ride is very smooth.

Maybe in your case... it all comes to the roads where you drive. I have air suspension on mine and even with 19 inch wheels for sure i can't say the ride is very smooth.

Tags
inscription, leather, r-design, seats, xc60