Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb replacement

Views : 561

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2019, 17:54   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default Bulb replacement

Hi,

I have a 2007 S80 2.4 D. I've notice that the headlights on my car when driving in the night aren't particularly bright. The beam adjustment is turned up to to the max, but even so, they just seem dark to me. The headlights themselves are in great condition, as in there's no fading or water getting inside causing moisture. I just think the bulbs themselves aren't great.

Can I simply change the existing standard bulbs & replace them with these more modern/brighter ones? Or, do I need to fit one of these kits that come with what looks like a transformer to limit voltage, new wiring & then the bulbs?

Thanks
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 18:27   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Whilst new bulbs will always be a bit brighter, it is always debatable if the human eye can tell

What has a much greater impact is headlight alignment, so get it checked. If too low, you will not light up much of the road. And thus it will appear dark-
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2019, 11:33   #3
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Definitely check that the dipped beam is not set too low per SwissXC90's advice.

If that does not help the next option is to fit brighter halogen bulbs. There are loads of threads on the forum for these bulbs, for example Halfords own brand, Osram Nightbreaker or Phillips Extreme Vision. These work by using a slightly thinner filament so it burns brighter but the power consumption in Watts remains the same as the original so they are a straight swap. That should be 55W for your car. The slight downside is that these bulbs burn out quicker than standard bulbs. If you look at the packing they show the % extra light as a headline on the front, but on the back you will see a figure for reduced life. Normally about 40% less.

Avoid at all costs higher wattage halogen bulbs, often 80W, because the extra heat they put out can permanently damage the headlight fitting. Also, do not be tempted by after-market HID or LED bulbs. They are not legal, will be a pain to fit and almost certainly result in MOT failure.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:26   #4
october37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2007 S80 2.4 D. I've notice that the headlights on my car when driving in the night aren't particularly bright. The beam adjustment is turned up to to the max, but even so, they just seem dark to me. The headlights themselves are in great condition, as in there's no fading or water getting inside causing moisture. I just think the bulbs themselves aren't great.

Can I simply change the existing standard bulbs & replace them with these more modern/brighter ones? Or, do I need to fit one of these kits that come with what looks like a transformer to limit voltage, new wiring & then the bulbs?

Thanks
You can fit the high discharge bulbs that are available as a plug and play option to your headlights, and this would make a big difference to them, but this could also cause problems with the MOT, as they are not legal unless original equipment on the car. Many owners do this, but remember to change them back before taking the car for its MOT test.

2008 V70se lux 2.4D Geartronic
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 19:16   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37 View Post
You can fit the high discharge bulbs that are available as a plug and play option to your headlights, and this would make a big difference to them, but this could also cause problems with the MOT, as they are not legal unless original equipment on the car. Many owners do this, but remember to change them back before taking the car for its MOT test.

2008 V70se lux 2.4D Geartronic
I put the brighter halogen bulbs in. They're definitely better & the light appears to be white, as opposed to the yellow colour that they used to be. The full beams have Phillips H9 65v halogen bulbs, which is the same as what was in it originally in terms of wattage. However, the new bulbs I put in are blue, the old ones were clear. When the lights are on, they look similar to xenon with just a faint hint of blue & I think they look great.

The dipped beams were clear H11 bulbs. Like the H9's, the new bulbs I've put in (H11 halogen 75w) are blue, creating a xenon effect when they're on. Both sets of bulbs were plug and play.

I'm a little concerned after reading your post about whether these new bulbs I've fitted are okay for an MOT? They look fine and don't appear to be overpowering/dazzling. The original bulbs were no good in my opinion and the new ones are a massive improvement. The shop I got them from said loads of people buy them, as opposed to buying a full kit to upgrade to actual xenon.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 19th, 2019 at 19:22.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote