Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiring trailer unit to fusebox confusion

Views : 808

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2019, 15:46   #1
Comuscomp

Default Wiring trailer unit to fusebox confusion

I am wiring a Volvo trailer unit into my xc60.

the Volvo fitting instruction from Volvo shows the luggage compartment fuse boxes up to chassis No 175378 contains 2 fuse boxes and only 1 fuse box for chassis No 175379 onwards.

My chassis number is in the first batch but I only have 1 fuse box not 2.

now here's the confusion, for the single fuse box, (Later models) the connector wire goes to F4, with the 2 box system (supposedly earlier models like mine MY2009/10) the connector wire goes to F9.

should I connect it to F4 or F9?, what confuses it even more is in the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual only shows 1 box and the trailer socket is F4.
Comuscomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 15:55   #2
spaceman2844

My towbar was installed at the dealer (MY2014.5 XC60). The orange connector wire goes to the back of the fuse which is installed on the lower left of the single fuse box - which is F4. Car only has one fuse box in the luggage compartment. Hope this helps
Old May 21st, 2019, 16:24   #3
Comuscomp

If your chassis No is later than 175379 then that is correct with 1 fuse box and what the instructions show for the later models.

According to the fitting instructions I am supposed to have 2 boxes and fit the orange wire to F9. Even more bizarre the owners manual shows 3 fuse boxes fitted and the fuse for the trailer is F9 in box A.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 16:10   #4
AB100

I dont have towing equipment, but used that supply for a cargo area 12v socket.
My car is a MY17 and has 1 connection box. It is as shown on the wiring diagrams labeled as 'supplementary' (or something similar!) available on the Volvo site.
The fuse is shown as FA9 and is already wired to a connector in a little foam bag hanging below the access door.
Hope thats a help, but beware, other sections were found to be correct, but with reversed wiring colours, perhaps as left hand drive!
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 18:06   #5
Comuscomp

Thanks but I think the problem is with earlier models, I've attached images of my fuse box and an image of the manual page. There seems to be a slight variation between them.
my configuration starts to appear from MY2011. but the fitting instruction works on chassis numbers not years so what's going on.

I went to the Guildford dealers yesterday and asked for clarification and got serious short shrift from them even though they sold me the parts, One of the service front of house suits told me "His technicians were far too busy to sort out my query". Sheer arrogance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lugage fuse box back.jpg (151.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Lugage fusebox Front.jpg (133.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Manual fuse box.jpg (85.5 KB, 16 views)
Old May 23rd, 2019, 19:36   #6
ma77y

Default Orange wire

Hi, hope you dont mind me hijacking this post.

I have installed the genuine 13pin electrics in my V60 and I'm a bit stumped when it comes to the orange wire.

I have seperated the fuse holder from the car and looked in F4 location, I can see the 12V rail that will supply the trailer module with power but the orange wire has no connector on the end and the load side of F4 is empty.

The Volvo installation instructions show the wire going into F4 with no femail contact crimped on the end so cant see how it is a good solid contact??

Thanks
ma77y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:36   #7
Comuscomp

My genuine 13 pin socket came with the trailer unit connector plug, white earth wire with crimped eye connector and an orange wire with a crimped female fuse connector for one side of the 15 amp fused link in the fuse block.
The Following User Says Thank You to Comuscomp For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 16:39   #8
ma77y

Thanks Comuscomp.

From what you say It appears my genuine 13 pin electrics has everything bar the female fuse terminal on the orange wire.

I'll give Volvo a call, I have the receipt from lookers so fingers crossed they can give me one.

Cheers
ma77y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fusebox, towbar, wiring