Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beware 2010MY XC60 Owners Manual IMPORTANT Error

Views : 91580

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 21:13   #61
africaman

Smile Xc60 and towing

Help,just looking at buying a new xc60 se lux premium. I tow a bailey unicorn Valencia .just read threads that I may get an issue with this car towing my van.anyone out there towing with this Volvo model? I am new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place!
africaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 16:08   #62
madant

Exclamation V70 Towing quries

After consulting the caravan Club technical dept I was advised/informed the 2005 V70 D5 has a towing limit of 1800kgs. But the kerbside weight is only 1710kgs so obtaining 85% is 1453kgs. My new caravan is 1600 kgs fully laden All this technical !!! is also doing my head in and I possibly like many others would like to get things straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlev70r View Post
Similar problem with V70 2009 MY09

and the official responce as I complained and tried to return the car a week after i recieved it was its a brochure misprint and they will not allow a return

It came to notice when I collected my car i noticed the towbar I ordered and paid for was not fitted and I had to return a week later and believed this was because they were pushed for time as the new reg had just turned

The new towbar had a plate fitted to it giving max wieghts that hugely differed to the booklet ( max towable weight was 2000Kg)

when checked it was advised the V70 shouldnt tow anything over 1200Kg max and not the 1550kg the brochures etc said

so caravan has stood this year and im currently trying to sue Volvo for misleading me

Not looking very good so far im afraid despite trading standards informing them of the consumer laws of UK Volvo are adamant there terms and conditions disclaim all UK law
i kid you not I have the letters from Volvo UK here

I did recieve a voucher though for £250 not bad for 33K car we cant use
madant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 16:39   #63
madant

Default Bailey Unicorn

Hi Africaman.
This info may be of some use to you. In Jan 2012 I bought/acquired delivery of my Pegasus 2 Verona which weighs in at 1600kgs when its fully loaded (weighbridge tested). Bailey provide (In Brochure an MTPLM of 1490kg). Now I am currently using a 2005 Volvo V70 D5 SE estate and even after talking to the caravan club I personally still feel uneasy at towing with the V70 specs.
Your Unicorn Valencia has an MTPLM of 1565kg (Bailey quoted). I dont think I need to add any more other than consider the Kia Sorrento range.
Im also new to the forum so I hope I am not to late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by africaman View Post
Help,just looking at buying a new xc60 se lux premium. I tow a bailey unicorn Valencia .just read threads that I may get an issue with this car towing my van.anyone out there towing with this Volvo model? I am new to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place!
madant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 10:38   #64
clivea
clivea

Hi Madant,
What is your vans plated MTPLM? Isn't it illegal to tow above the plated MTPLM? So if yours is that much above the brochure figure aren't you risking a problem if stopped by VOSA? I know they will deduct your noseweight from MTPLM and some say the axles rating is the absolute max weight allowed, but as the Design Authority for the van I believe the makers MTPLM is the legal maximum. As for the 85% guide its good for new caravanners but with the suspension and braking of most modern cars towing above 85% should not cause stability problems providing the van and car are loaded properly, noseweight is correct and tyres at the right pressures.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey

Last edited by clivea; Dec 12th, 2012 at 10:41.
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 14:23   #65
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
Hi Madant,
What is your vans plated MTPLM? Isn't it illegal to tow above the plated MTPLM? So if yours is that much above the brochure figure aren't you risking a problem if stopped by VOSA? I know they will deduct your noseweight from MTPLM and some say the axles rating is the absolute max weight allowed, but as the Design Authority for the van I believe the makers MTPLM is the legal maximum. As for the 85% guide its good for new caravanners but with the suspension and braking of most modern cars towing above 85% should not cause stability problems providing the van and car are loaded properly, noseweight is correct and tyres at the right pressures.
i am towing at 1700kg on the van with a 2004 v70 d5.
mike
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 14:36   #66
Blandy15

Oh dear i might be a bit optmistic towing 1 tonne trailer with 2 tonne digger on the back tows it fine does hit the fuel economy a bit.
Blandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 14:56   #67
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
I find this shocking to see Volvo publishing these critical facts incorrectly for the first time and then taking so long to rectify a really simple problem getting their facts published correctly. I would blame this complacency on the Ford culture and control.

Just a thought, I was wondering if any of you have looked on your Registration Certificate V5C. Under Vehicle Details are the technical permissible maximum towable mass of trailer, braked and unbraked. This is a Government Agency issued document that should have spot-on the correct information. Is this information correct? and/or has anyone used the V5C to their advantage in a towing weight dispute?

I've heard that said before. I've just checked all three of my V5cs. Although a space for such information is there, the information itself is not.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 01:20   #68
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I've just read this thread, but not all of it, so this may have been covered before BUT:

The nose weight rating is basically made up. In Australia * I believe * that the legislation is that the nose weight should be a minimum of 7% of the trailer weight. Down under the XC90 has a nose weight rating of 180kg, I doubt the cars has a different chassis.... Not sure what AU XC60's are rated at.

Do some Google work you will see....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 20:04   #69
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I've just read this thread, but not all of it, so this may have been covered before BUT:

The nose weight rating is basically made up. In Australia * I believe * that the legislation is that the nose weight should be a minimum of 7% of the trailer weight. Down under the XC90 has a nose weight rating of 180kg, I doubt the cars has a different chassis.... Not sure what AU XC60's are rated at.

Do some Google work you will see....
Yes but trying to explain to vosa at a roadside check you Googled Australia and it was fine there may not work out too well if they are anything like the grumpy sods I've come across.

Paul.

Last edited by green van man; Sep 4th, 2018 at 20:22.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote