Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 V90 Rear Position Light Malfunction

Views : 7981

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2021, 06:55   #1
mannyo1221

Default 2017 V90 Rear Position Light Malfunction

Hi all,

After several years away from Volvo, just one week ago I became the owner of a 2017 V90 Inscription with a few fitted extras.

Thursday night I was driving back home in the dark, and all was well until this error popped up. " Rear position light malfunction", I had been driving for 40 minutes until this came on the dash.

I found a place to pull over, and sure enough the left rear tail light was not on and neither was the one on the tailgate on that side.

I switched the lights off and on, and all the rear lights came back on so I continued my journey. 10 mins later, same thing happened and the lights went out again.

The tail lights on that side no longer come on and remain off.

Other observations.
Brake lights still work on both sides,
When I open the tailgate the lights all come on both sides
Indicator also works on both sides.

The outer light is not cracked or showing any signs of being cracked, but I can see some slight moisure inside, maybe because of the heavy rain the other day.

Need to get this sorted ASAP, going to speak to warranty company first.

I dont mind fixing it myself, the outer light is not that expensive but I believe its a pain to swap the light.
Old May 8th, 2021, 13:33   #2
roundyuk

If they came on when you opened the boot I suspect a possible wire break on the loom.

I am pretty sure the V70 suffered from this, wires used to break where they went through the rubber piece at the top of the tailgate.
Old May 8th, 2021, 18:44   #3
mannyo1221

If the weather is any better tomorrow, I'll take a video to show what happens.

I suspect the outer light unit rather than wiring.

I found a video on youtube showing how to get access to the back of the light and to drop just part of the bumper to get access to the lower bolt which is behind the bumper.
Old May 8th, 2021, 19:49   #4
swil00

I have the same issue on my 2017 V90.

Replacement involves stripping out trim inside the boot and removing the bumper.

After that, its a top screw/bolt, bottom nut and a connector.

The issue I have is getting a replacement light.

I got one from a dealer, which I'm returning as the finish on the outer edge is somewhat poor.

Not in the same ball park as a headlight, but still around £300 depending on the dealer.

My concern is that I order another to be greeted with a response "they're all like that sir"

Thankfully the lighter nights are here !

Last edited by swil00; May 8th, 2021 at 20:06.
swil00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:00   #5
mannyo1221

I have found some videos on youtube which show how to remove the bumper in full and another on how to remove the rear light on a XC90 without removing the full bumper.

Both seem very helpful and will help me and any others should the need to DIY the replacement be required.

First video shows bumper removal step by step.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuJH149Jcuc&t=19s

Second video shows how to access the bolts for light removal but does not cover trim removal in the back. Video is for XC90, but should hopefully be simillar on V90 although I could be all wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1DFcm6X-8
Old May 9th, 2021, 19:58   #6
swil00

This looks a handy document too.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/zh...)/2017?lang=en

Covers boot trim and bumper removal for towbar installation
Old May 11th, 2021, 13:54   #7
VolvoV90r

Yeah had the same issue with mine, did seem to be worse when colder.

Went into volvo under warranty and they cleaned all the contact points, checked all the wiring etc, got 20 yards from the dealer and it came back on again, went back in and told them, mechanic came out and said he would put a new light in it this time, 60 minutes later iand it had the new light and never had the issue again.

Obviously sounds like a common issue.
VolvoV90r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 22:56   #8
solonicov

I had the same issue.

Back in February, the warning light came on. On inspection, the LHS cluster had a lot of moisture/water inside. No visible cracks or any damage to the unit. Luckily, it was replaced under warranty.

Today though, my luck ran out. The same warning light comes one, and it's the RHS cluster not working this time. No moisture or physical damage. The car is out of warranty, and the dealer is asking for £630 to replace it.

Is it my luck, or something wrong is going on with these lights? It seems to be a relatively common event. I had an electric tow bar fitted in January, not sure if the car is stripped to the point that the wiring can be damaged.

Anyway, I'm well pi...d off, two broken lights in the space of eight months is two too many.
solonicov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 23:28   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo1221 View Post
Hi all,

After several years away from Volvo, just one week ago I became the owner of a 2017 V90 Inscription with a few fitted extras.

Thursday night I was driving back home in the dark, and all was well until this error popped up. " Rear position light malfunction", I had been driving for 40 minutes until this came on the dash.

I found a place to pull over, and sure enough the left rear tail light was not on and neither was the one on the tailgate on that side.

I switched the lights off and on, and all the rear lights came back on so I continued my journey. 10 mins later, same thing happened and the lights went out again.

The tail lights on that side no longer come on and remain off.

Other observations.
Brake lights still work on both sides,
When I open the tailgate the lights all come on both sides
Indicator also works on both sides.

The outer light is not cracked or showing any signs of being cracked, but I can see some slight moisure inside, maybe because of the heavy rain the other day.

Need to get this sorted ASAP, going to speak to warranty company first.

I dont mind fixing it myself, the outer light is not that expensive but I believe its a pain to swap the light.
That's the answer , one of a LED's disadvantages , any sign of water and they die very shortly after . A whole new light unit will be required , Volvo first had light monitors back in 1974 ...
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 23:36   #10
swil00

Quote:
Originally Posted by solonicov View Post
I had the same issue.

Back in February, the warning light came on. On inspection, the LHS cluster had a lot of moisture/water inside. No visible cracks or any damage to the unit. Luckily, it was replaced under warranty.

Today though, my luck ran out. The same warning light comes one, and it's the RHS cluster not working this time. No moisture or physical damage. The car is out of warranty, and the dealer is asking for £630 to replace it.

Is it my luck, or something wrong is going on with these lights? It seems to be a relatively common event. I had an electric tow bar fitted in January, not sure if the car is stripped to the point that the wiring can be damaged.

Anyway, I'm well pi...d off, two broken lights in the space of eight months is two too many.

Wow, A lot of cash to replace a light unit, but not surprising given dealer rates.

Retail on the part is £335 alone.

I got a new light from a dealer for £250 and replaced myself.

Bumper needs to come off and some trim inside the boot to access fixings.