Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bringing a 740 back to life

Views : 23183

Replies : 240

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2021, 19:26   #11
Ian21401
Premier Member

That fuse box is also difficult on my 940 but does eventually come out so far. It could have some of that Volvo extra sticky black gooey stuff under it. Mine had.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 20:43   #12
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
That fuse box is also difficult on my 940 but does eventually come out so far. It could have some of that Volvo extra sticky black gooey stuff under it. Mine had.
I had pulled some of that black stuff out before. God knows what’s underneath it.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 14:03   #13
Challo

Quick update on progress this morning:

Checked the spark plugs, and all getting spark when cranked.
Checked the fuses and all correct with none broken.
Changed the fuel pump relay and you can tell the original one was faulty. As soon as it was plugged and ignition turned on you could hear the pump prime. This didn’t happen previously

Tried starting the car again and nothing. Keeps cranking, but doesn’t start.

With that in mind I took off the pipe to the fuel rail, cranked the car again and no fuel coming out of the pipe. So it looks like there is no fuel getting to the engine to fire. Before I did all this I had to take off the filter and pump again from the car as I hadn’t replaced all the brass washers, and there was a slight leak. Everything is replaced and all connected.

Any ideas?

I know I need to check the one in the boot as mentioned by Laird, but couldn’t do this on my own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 14:22   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post

I know I need to check the one in the boot as mentioned by Laird, but couldn’t do this on my own.
Yes you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Open the tailgate and remove the left hand cubby hole cover between the wheelarch and D-pillar - should be a loop at the front end to make life easy for this.

Find the 3-way connector, this feeds the fuel pump and brings the sender output back. The two wires you're intersted in are pink and brown on the tank side of the connector. Back probe these with the +ve of your meter in the pink and the -ve of your meter in the brown. For 1-2 seconds when you first turn the key to position 2 you should see battery voltage and then also during cranking and for 1-2 seconds after.

You can see the pink and brown wires (with a grey one) more or less centrally)
Once you've got the meter probes in the pnk and brown wires, with the back seats down you can position your meter so you can see it from the drivers door - reach in and turn the ignition switch to position 2, job done!

In case it's not priming or you miss it, turn to position 3 (start) and watch the meter, you should get battery voltage while cranking and for 1-2 seconds after you release the key.

If you are getting voltage but still no pump action, cralw underneath and find the main pump and give it a couple of gentle taps with a hammer handle. Likewise at the back of the tank, in the centre at the bottom, a couple of sharp slaps with the ball of your hand.

Try starting again, you may need to repeat the "tap and slap" routine 2 or 3 times but unless those pumps are seriously siezed, if you have power reaching them they should run.

Once you've got them running, add about 2 egg-cups full of synthetic ATF (Carlube ATF-U is good for this) to clean the system including injectors and lube the pumps and revive any rubber seals that have dried out.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 14:51   #15
Challo

Quote:
Yes you can!

Once you've got the meter probes in the pnk and brown wires, with the back seats down you can position your meter so you can see it from the drivers door - reach in and turn the ignition switch to position 2, job done!

In case it's not priming or you miss it, turn to position 3 (start) and watch the meter, you should get battery voltage while cranking and for 1-2 seconds after you release the key.

If you are getting voltage but still no pump action, cralw underneath and find the main pump and give it a couple of gentle taps with a hammer handle. Likewise at the back of the tank, in the centre at the bottom, a couple of sharp slaps with the ball of your hand.

Try starting again, you may need to repeat the "tap and slap" routine 2 or 3 times but unless those pumps are seriously siezed, if you have power reaching them they should run.

Once you've got them running, add about 2 egg-cups full of synthetic ATF (Carlube ATF-U is good for this) to clean the system including injectors and lube the pumps and revive any rubber seals that have dried out.
Thanks. Just checked again and upon cranking I’m getting power at that connector. I’ll give the tanks a tap tomorrow when I have some more time. The fuel pump directly under the car is brand new.

On the ATF where do I add this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 15:30   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks. Just checked again and upon cranking I’m getting power at that connector. I’ll give the tanks a tap tomorrow when I have some more time. The fuel pump directly under the car is brand new.

On the ATF where do I add this?
Same place as you add petrol.

In fact, if you're not going to tap the tank until tomorrow, add some ATF before you start trying to coax the in-tank pump back to life by tapping the bottom of the tank. It might just help to free something off.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 15:44   #17
Challo

Quote:
Same place as you add petrol.

In fact, if you're not going to tap the tank until tomorrow, add some ATF before you start trying to coax the in-tank pump back to life by tapping the bottom of the tank. It might just help to free something off.

Thanks. Just to check this is the stuff?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlube-ATF.../dp/B00HOGNXK2
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 17:33   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks. Just to check this is the stuff?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlube-ATF.../dp/B00HOGNXK2
Yes, but not at that price!

Try this for 1L :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-A...L/284152043980

.........or for 1 gallon (4.54L) :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-A...L/233257297843

You can also use it in your PAS and if you have an auto, it's a vast improvement over Dexron II-D.
I have found many other uses for it as well, 50/50 mix with acetone (nail varnish remover) and shaken it makes an excellent penetrating fluid. Needs sealing after each use to prevent the acetone evaporating and shaking before each use but that's a small price to pay for how good it is.

Old Mar 20th, 2021, 17:48   #19
Challo

Quote:
Yes, but not at that price!

Try this for 1L :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-A...L/284152043980

.........or for 1 gallon (4.54L) :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-A...L/233257297843

You can also use it in your PAS and if you have an auto, it's a vast improvement over Dexron II-D.
I have found many other uses for it as well, 50/50 mix with acetone (nail varnish remover) and shaken it makes an excellent penetrating fluid. Needs sealing after each use to prevent the acetone evaporating and shaking before each use but that's a small price to pay for how good it is.

Thanks. I’ll have a look online for a good price.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 17:54   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks. I’ll have a look online for a good price.
Those are about the best prices delivered on ebay UK.