Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grey manual 850R saloon - open to offers

Views : 1256

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 12:14   #1
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Talking Grey manual 850R saloon - open to offers

Fellow Volvo Enthusiasts,

After 6 years of ownership the time has come for me to keep an open mind in selling my beloved 850R. Next on my to-do list is a V70R.

I'm in no rush to sell but would be interested if the right offer came across. We all know the manual estates are rare - the manual saloons seem to be even rarer...I won't be entertaining any silly/budget offers. It's clear these are appreciating classics. Yes it's not concourse condition which is why I don't expect silly money for it.

Once washed and clean it's pretty tidy and turns heads. The interior is pretty clean and apart from the drivers seat (which isn't bad in all honesty) it's almost untouched. It has a few bits and bobs that need TLC but nothing safety critical or with massive expense attached. The car has taken me to Edinburgh and back a few times with no issues. It's got circa 180k on the clock and I have kept it fully stock. I service it regularly and only used OEM parts - it is my pride and joy. I do it for the love and I reside in B'ham City Centre.

I have attached a few fun pictures for viewing. Feel free to message me as required. I don't bite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850 at golf.jpg (244.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 850 front.jpg (376.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 850 rear.jpg (275.3 KB, 98 views)
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clark For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 13:25   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Good luck with the sale, its not often you see a saloon for sale - I very nearly bought one a few months ago.

Regardless of condition, the saloons go for significantly less money than the estates - its just one of those things. The 850R saloon I was considering was a Japanese import with 80k miles up and in superb condition - I had agreed a sale and was going to pay £6k for it. In the end, because of changing requirements and the loss of a family member, we now need an estate - and so I have agreed the sale of an identical 850R estate from the same importer, for some £3k more than the saloon. The estates are in much more demand and so the price reflects this.

Therefore, I'd be realistic about the price you are expecting - personally I prefer the saloon, and a factory manual one is indeed very rare, however the market price won't reflect that sadly. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but just wanted to warn you

All the best, Sam
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 10:57   #3
sda2489

Ball park figure (price) ??

T.
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sda2489 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 11:47   #4
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Eyup

I'll start taking offers seriously around the £8k mark. I'm in no rush to sell so happy to keep it on the forum sat quietly in the background, for people to message as and when interested. I've got a few discussions going on offline where I have sent more images via WhatsApp. It's really important to me that it goes to a good home as I have kept it neat and tidy and fully OEM/stock. Happy to share if you're interested and have the budget

Enjoy the sun and stay safe my good man.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 11:55   #5
sda2489

Blimey......

My 850R manual estate must be worth mega bucks.....

Wasn't expecting you to say that much....

Was almost considering owning two 850Rs

Maybe not. Probably a good thing.... Less hassle from the other half!!

T.
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 12:11   #6
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Yeah a manual 850R estate in 'good' nic will go a long way mate. You know what they say...a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It would be so awesome to have a get together with 850's somewhere.

Good luck buddy.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 16:52   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
It would be so awesome to have a get together with 850's somewhere.
Are you going to the Volvo 600 world record attempt at York? https://www.volvo600.co.uk There should be plenty of 850s about there If my 850R arrives in time I'll be there in that, otherwise I'll be taking the S70 T5
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 21:21   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

If you are in no rush to sell them you can ask what ever you like. That’s a really really high price for a saloon. It’s actually going rather for estate with half that milage freshly imported.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 20:44   #9
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

It looks like they're all sold out I'm on the waiting list though - I've e-mailed them.

Tell me more about your S70 T-5 - manual? How does it feel driving-wise compared to the 850R?

Do you know any more Volvo shows happening/planned mate?
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 15:55   #10
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I assume you're asking me Clark

The S70 T5 has a far smoother ride than the 850R, which feels quite harsh in comparison. On the other hand, the 850R's handling (if the suspension has been refreshed) is sublime, whereas the S70 isn't as responsive to steering input - its still pretty sharp, but the 855R feels like its anticipating what you're going to do. With iPd uprated anti-roll bars, I reckon the 850R is one of the best handling (large) cars about.

My old 855R used to boom a bit which was annoying too - the saloons aren't affected by this and so feel more refined. The S70 is very comfy, whereas the 850R's seats are comfy and very supportive. I also prefer the 855's interior to the S/V70 interior.

So to sum it up, IMHO, the 850R is a better driver's car, but the S70 is the better cruiser/tourer.

Does that help?