Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grey manual 850R saloon - open to offers

Views : 1253

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 16:23   #11
sda2489

Oddly enough I was out in my 850R estate the other week. Family all on board. On some nice sweeping twisty country roads and it handled like a dream. The ride is harsh as is renowned with the 850... I replaced every suspension mount and Bush front to back two years ago and it definitely made it a joy that day....
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sda2489 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 19:30   #12
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I assume you're asking me Clark

The S70 T5 has a far smoother ride than the 850R, which feels quite harsh in comparison. On the other hand, the 850R's handling (if the suspension has been refreshed) is sublime, whereas the S70 isn't as responsive to steering input - its still pretty sharp, but the 855R feels like its anticipating what you're going to do. With iPd uprated anti-roll bars, I reckon the 850R is one of the best handling (large) cars about.

My old 855R used to boom a bit which was annoying too - the saloons aren't affected by this and so feel more refined. The S70 is very comfy, whereas the 850R's seats are comfy and very supportive. I also prefer the 855's interior to the S/V70 interior.

So to sum it up, IMHO, the 850R is a better driver's car, but the S70 is the better cruiser/tourer.

Does that help?
Yeah sounds about right and what I expected What components do you mean when you say "a refreshed suspension"?

I can't seem to avoids these pot-holes at the moment! It's got my fronts creaking - maybe my strut mount or spring seat have gone?

What difference would I actually feel in the car if I installed some IPD anti roll bars?

Thanks in advance
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 06:06   #13
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I assume you're asking me Clark

The S70 T5 has a far smoother ride than the 850R, which feels quite harsh in comparison. On the other hand, the 850R's handling (if the suspension has been refreshed) is sublime, whereas the S70 isn't as responsive to steering input - its still pretty sharp, but the 855R feels like its anticipating what you're going to do. With iPd uprated anti-roll bars, I reckon the 850R is one of the best handling (large) cars about.

My old 855R used to boom a bit which was annoying too - the saloons aren't affected by this and so feel more refined. The S70 is very comfy, whereas the 850R's seats are comfy and very supportive. I also prefer the 855's interior to the S/V70 interior.

So to sum it up, IMHO, the 850R is a better driver's car, but the S70 is the better cruiser/tourer.

Does that help?
Have you driven a modified 850R with KWs or BCs, solid sub frame inserts and a proper set up?

While I agree the standard suspension was ok, a decent modified 850 makes the standard set up feel like an old wafting barge!
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 12:08   #14
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich850R View Post
Have you driven a modified 850R with KWs or BCs, solid sub frame inserts and a proper set up?

While I agree the standard suspension was ok, a decent modified 850 makes the standard set up feel like an old wafting barge!
No I haven't buddy but you've got me interested! What do I need to modify? I can have a chat with my garage to get a quote. I live in a flat so don't really have a drive-way or garage to even learn to do the work myself.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote