Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drive shaft doesn't fit

Views : 333

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2021, 14:34   #1
Bags

Default Drive shaft doesn't fit

I have a 2008 XC90 on 57 plate, the 6 speed semi-auto box failed so I bought a replacement from a salvage yard, also 2008 model but didn't come with transfer box. I have fitted the gearbox and original transfer box, the off side drive shaft has re-fitted ok as it went into the original transfer box but the Near side drive shaft will not enter the 'new' gearbox. I tried it back in the original box and it enters no problem.
My question is :- are there different sizes for the near side drive shaft ?
I have measured the diameter of my original drive shaft at the splines that enter the gearbox and it is 31.34mm, the sleeve in the gearbox inside the oil seal as best as i can measure is 30.5mm.
Has anyone had problems like this before ?
Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 15:09   #2
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

There are two different drive shafts. ie. splines on the wheel bearing side of the shaft, i don't know about the side that goes into the gear box, but if it is different you may have to change the bearing as well. someone on here might know more.
Hope this helps
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 15:57   #3
Bags

Default Update

I have done more research, there are two number of splines 26 and 31, and there are at least three different diameters, 27mm, 32mm and what ever is in my gearbox. I bought a drive shaft from ebay with the 27mm diameter, I now have two drive shafts that don't fit my gearbox.
Can anyone help !!!!
Bags is offline   Reply With Quote