Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers door central locking wiring

Views : 311

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2021, 03:18   #1
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Default Drivers door central locking wiring

Hi all

The short section of wiring in the drivers door for the central locking - which connects to a grey 3-pin connector inside the door - is in very poor shape, with the insulation crumbling off in places. It seems to crack up in the areas which were flex pivot points - it's fine where it was held straight and stationary. Rare for a 240 this bit of wiring seems poorly thought out.

I am replacing the sections with some 16AWG flexible cable which I originally bought to make up the looms that go through the dreaded tailgate hinges (wire with lots of fine strands, so it's flexible and won't fatigue and break quickly), but this driver's door wiring has been more of a pain in the &%£@ than expected...

The original cabling in this central locking wiring is also a type of very fine, flexible cable (same stuff as used in the tailgate hinges). The strands are so fine that it's really hard to get solder onto. If you cut it at a point where it's bright copper it takes solder, but if it's had any exposure to the elements, once there's a small bit of oxide on it, you have to keep applying abrasives to make clean copper surfaces that will take solder and this gets laborious because there's so many strands.

My questions are:

1 Have others here had similar problems with this fine wiring stuff regarding splicing into it? Maybe crimping connectors would be a way to avoid the soldering difficulties, but with this door, there's not enough room for the sections of bulky, straight wiring that crimp connectors would cause. With wiring I usually prefer to solder then insulate with heat-shrink and tape.

2 Are there other areas around a Volvo 240 (mine's a 92 estate) with this or other types of wiring where the insulation perishes and disintegrates?

What a barrel of laughs this is turning into.

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 08:22   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've had problems in the past with the tailgate wiring, but never, so far, with this aspect of the central locking. On reflexion I suppose similar problems might potentially occur with any wiring that connects something hinged to the main structure - electric windows, heated and remote-operated door mirrors, bonnet light, etc.

I did once replace the tailgate wiring with a proper loom, but it started to fail within a year or so. The problem there is that the wires are bent round a tight radius at the hinge, and fixed so that all the repeated bending takes place at exactly the same spot. It's almost designed to fail.

By contrast I've knocked up temporary (ie permanent!) replacements just using ordinary wires that don't try and go through the hinge but just hang freely in a loop about 4" diameter. It's not as neat as the original but it lasts indefinitely.

The secret is to take the flexible section in a curve of the widest possible diameter, with the fixing points contrived so that the wire coils and uncoils smoothly without any sharp kinks.
Electrical connections to the engine largely do this for example - the wires to the crank position sensor, oxygen sensor, all the other innumerable high and low tension connections allow as long a length as possible for the wires to flex in.
Forcing a wire to bend repeatedly over a short length is a recipe for it's failing.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 19:28   #3
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

The wiring in the drivers door doesn't even have to repetitively bend, it just has to take a bit of vibration and minor flexing - but it seems that the type of cable used had insulation which wasn't long-lasting (if you can call failure at 30 years that!)

I know this is about door wiring - but - moving to tailgates - I also bought some new harnesses for the tailgate, but decided to not use them because they seemed too rigid and bound to break. So I sourced some wire online, which is designed to flex, has silicon insulation so petroleum-based lubricants won't affect it, and is 16AWG, which is thicker than the original stuff. Five years so far and still working fine. I am using this same wire for the drivers door central locking and any similar job.

This wire https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363330386...Cclp%3A2334524
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 21:36   #4
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Hi all

My questions are:

1 Have others here had similar problems with this fine wiring stuff regarding splicing into it? Maybe crimping connectors would be a way to avoid the soldering difficulties, but with this door, there's not enough room for the sections of bulky, straight wiring that crimp connectors would cause. With wiring I usually prefer to solder then insulate with heat-shrink and tape.

2 Are there other areas around a Volvo 240 (mine's a 92 estate) with this or other types of wiring where the insulation perishes and disintegrates?

What a barrel of laughs this is turning into.

Thanks
John
John,

The engine bay loom on older 2XXs has particularly poor insulation. Here is the solution I used for the RB:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1260

Alan
Old May 9th, 2021, 05:11   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
The original cabling in this central locking wiring is also a type of very fine, flexible cable (same stuff as used in the tailgate hinges). The strands are so fine that it's really hard to get solder onto. If you cut it at a point where it's bright copper it takes solder, but if it's had any exposure to the elements, once there's a small bit of oxide on it, you have to keep applying abrasives to make clean copper surfaces that will take solder and this gets laborious because there's so many strands.
Your best course of action is to follow the loom back into the car John, at some point it will have a multiplug, the terminals will almost certainly be crimped with what is often referred to as a "W" crimp. The terminals should be available from Volvo still, if not an autoelectrical place should be able to source them for you.
Replace that section of loom completely with your new cable and terminals.

That's the ideal solution, alternative solutions are to invest in some separate soldering flux, heat the wire up and dip it in.

It will sizzle and smoke a bit and the flux will clean the surface of the copper wire, allowing a good solder joint to be made - a variation on this is to twist your wire ends together as you would prior to soldering then heat the joint and apply some flux using a small flat screwdriver or similar tool that can act like a palette knife.

Continue heating then add some solder to the joint. Clean off any excess flux with some IPA as it is corrosive and may eat the cables otherwise.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: