Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PilotAssist critical flaw

Views : 2081

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2021, 16:42   #1
destone

Default PilotAssist critical flaw

We have a MY2018 XC90 and MY2018 S90 in our garage.

I’ve driven both cars over vast distances with PilotAssist on. It’s a great system overall.

One critical shortcoming though is that the system is not slowing down for stationary cars. This will lead to a crash situation if the lead car on a motorway changes lanes and the Volvo faces a stationary vehicle. Similarly, on an A-road, Volvo will not recognise a car ahead stopped at a red light. In the case of the latter, I can maneuver around this as I know the limitations of the system, but in the case of the former, I may not be able to react in time.

How is this possible if Tesla, with similar hardware (no LIDAR in either cars, just camera + radar) can? Should Volvo address this software issue for current owners even as they focus on the LIDAR-based “PA3”?

See this clip from Euro NCAP at 00:10s (speed 50 mph) to see what I am referring to: https://youtu.be/kp_LEFlYQpI
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2021, 17:19   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

The Pilot Assist system is just that, an assist mechanism. If you lose concentration enough not to notice a stationary car in from if you, then it’s really the drivers fault.

Volvo is pretty clear on this matter. It’s there to make your drive more relaxing, it’s not there to take over.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 18:19   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destone View Post

I’ve driven both cars over vast distances with PilotAssist on. It’s a great system overall.

One critical shortcoming though is that the system is not slowing down for stationary cars. This will lead to a crash situation if the lead car on a motorway changes lanes and the Volvo faces a stationary vehicle. Similarly, on an A-road, Volvo will not recognise a car ahead stopped at a red light. In the case of the latter, I can maneuver around this as I know the limitations of the system, but in the case of the former, I may not be able to react in time.

How is this possible if Tesla, with similar hardware (no LIDAR in either cars, just camera + radar) can? Should Volvo address this software issue for current owners even as they focus on the LIDAR-based “PA3”?

See this clip from Euro NCAP at 00:10s (speed 50 mph) to see what I am referring to: https://youtu.be/kp_LEFlYQpI
Tesla can't either.

The serious Tesla incidents that have been reported have been because the car has failed to see a stationary object. This is because it is currently almost impossible for a car to understand the difference between a "bad" stationary object like a car and a "good" one such as an overbridge or sign.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 20:07   #4
rxtian

I know what you mean, it's scary, but it is pointed out in the manual:
"When the driver supports are following another vehicle at speeds in excess of approx. 30 km/h (20 mph) and the target is changed from a moving vehicle to a stationary vehicle, the driver supports will ignore the stationary vehicle and instead accelerate to the stored speed."

I guess in testing they found that without this, the system did emergency stops too often (something I have seen complained about on Tesla forums).
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2021, 20:09   #5
MikeGMT
VOC Member

With all these driver assist systems, as the driver of the vehicle you have the ultimate responsibility, you are driving the car and not the other way round. This is my first car with these autonomous driving systems and having experienced them I am glad I didn’t tick the option box on my previous car, and saved some money.

Personally I find these assist technologies are not intuitive enough at the present time, although a lot of people really like them, you just have to use them whilst remembering they can’t cover every situation, hence all the advisories in the handbook.

As I found out some time ago these systems do have the potential to cause an accident, as well as avoiding one.
Old May 8th, 2021, 20:25   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Two key words... “Assist” & “limitations.”

The system isn’t designed to completely drive the car for you, so it will have limitations. It makes the driving experience more relaxed, but that doesn’t mean you can forget about all what’s going on around you either.

The driver has full responsibility at the end of the day, so I wouldn’t become reliant on these systems until (if ever) they’re totally up to scratch & 100% safe. Even then, I’d be hesitant! I still want to be in control.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 8th, 2021 at 20:28.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2021, 21:58   #7
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:

This is not a 'critical flaw' but a documented limitation of the system. The Driver Support Systems, which include Pilot Assist, are designed to make driving easier but should not be relied upon. As drivers we are responsible for control of the car, not the support systems.

The 'stationary object' problem exists because as Philip Fisher said it's very difficult to distinguish between types of stationary objects.

The systems will improve but may never be perfect. I read that if the system tried to avoid every possible 'hazard' the car would never move anywhere.
Old May 8th, 2021, 22:51   #8
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
in the case of the former, I may not be able to react in time.
Shouldn't make any difference. You're still the driver...
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 14:15   #9
ergonomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Shouldn't make any difference. You're still the driver...
True - but I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. Yes - the law is clear, but perhaps the law hasn't caught up fully with current systems. If manufacturers provide a system that 'makes driving easier' then they are encouraging the driver to place trust in that system and devote less attention to the task of driving. It's not 'easier' in the physical sense (eg power steering) - it's easier cognitively.

If they provide such a system, then it's inevitable that the driver will be less engaged with the driving task. If the law truly intends to remain as stated, then perhaps manufacturers should be prohibited from providing systems that encourage reduced attention - particularly as that reduced attention may not be deliberate on the part of the driver.

A wider debate about the introduction of autonomous driving features is starting but perhaps is overdue.

And going back to the OP's original comment - I suspect that despite what the law says, it's inevitable that reaction time to a stationary vehicle in a running lane will be slower when Pilot Assist is in operation. There's currently a lot of research going on into the time taken to regain control from an autonomous mode, even with a warning, and I find the data quite concerning...
Old May 9th, 2021, 15:07   #10
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
There's currently a lot of research going on into the time taken to regain control from an autonomous mode, even with a warning, and I find the data quite concerning...
Which is why the few driver aids I have are turned off.