Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine system service no codes.

Views : 683

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2021, 10:05   #1
fifthwheel

Default Engine system service no codes.

Hi all, I got the orange triangle and engine system service required showing in messages. 2007 car. No power loss at this stage but the next day I got soot filter full message. I have Vida so forced a regen, this went well but took 40mins.
I still have the engine system service required showing and low power but no DTC codes displayed. The oil level is around 5mm below full on the stick. Any help would be appreciated. John.
fifthwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 11:18   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
The oil level is around 5mm below full on the stick.
Drain some oil out so only the bottom third of the dipstick marks are covered.
Personally, I would completely drain the oil and change the filter then refill with 5.5 litres.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 19:16   #3
fifthwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Drain some oil out so only the bottom third of the dipstick marks are covered.
Personally, I would completely drain the oil and change the filter then refill with 5.5 litres.
Will change the oil and filter, the oil has been at the same level for over a year with no previous warning messages but it cant do any harm to change it.

The car only does a few miles a year maybe 2 to 3 thousand, I suppose thats the reason for the soot filter full message. john.
Old May 9th, 2021, 19:34   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

If the oil level turns out to be the problem, once corrected it may take a drive of around 20 miles for the warning to clear.
Old May 10th, 2021, 21:07   #5
fifthwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If the oil level turns out to be the problem, once corrected it may take a drive of around 20 miles for the warning to clear.
Changed the oil and filter today and drove around 30 miles. Still have the engine system service warning and still in limp mode. The soot filter warning also came back, it cant be full again after 30 miles. I have a new fuel filter to fit in the morning but not banking on this curing the problem. The engine revs are a bit erratic going up and down with a steady pedal and in cruise control just as if the engine is starved of fuel.
Old May 10th, 2021, 23:17   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Still no DTCs?
Following an updated read of the car, I only use the Initial State tab in Fault Trace for the active codes. If that tab shows no codes, the plot thickens further.

You can also check the soot level in Vida and do an adaption of the DPF pressure sensor just in case it's gone out of whack.
Also resistance test the glow plugs to see if any are dead. Functioning glow plugs are needed all year round for successful regenerations.

Changing the fuel filter in a recent YouTube video on a 2008 D5244T4 solved a DPF related fault code so don't underestimate it especially if the old filter is as filthy as the one I changed. Stranger things have happened.
Old May 14th, 2021, 07:57   #7
fifthwheel

I'm still here not had time to do any more with the car but have not given up. PS the fuel filter change did not cure the problem.
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 20:36   #8
fifthwheel

I started another thread, I totally forgot about this one, it relates to the same problem. How can I merge both threads?