Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stainless Exhaust for Volvo 740GL

Views : 1289

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2019, 17:11   #1
PastelCo

Default Stainless Exhaust for Volvo 740GL

So I've finally decided to get round to sorting out the hole on the exhaust of my Volvo and I'm considering just replacing it in it's entirety. I'm looking for something which makes a bit more of a rumble to the stock one but no so loud it's obnoxious.

Can anyone on this site direct me to a good company that makes quality exhaust systems? I want to get your guys' opinion before I buy, Thank you!
PastelCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 17:40   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Your best bet is ask round locally to see if someone has had a stainless exhaust built for their cars. If you fancy a few days in Ipswich (a long way from home for you) give these guys a call :

https://demandengineering.co.uk/

Very high quality work and they will build to what you want. In other words, if you want it sounding like a refugee from Santa Pod, they'll make it sound like that. If you want it to sound standard, they can make it like that too. If you want it a little sportier than standard without a drone or intrusion, they can build it like that too.

Worth noting that almost all stainless systems give a characteristic rasp, no getting away from it as it's a characteristic of stainless steel.

In terms of price, you're probably looking at around the £400 mark, give or take a bit but a system from Volvo will cost similar, a Bosal mild steel system will be similar too. You can get cheaper systems - loads on ebay but i don't think there are any off the shelf stainless systems any more.

All depends how much you want to spend, how long you're keeping the car and so on. Also worth noting that you can't just buy any Volvo 740 system and expect it to fit, there are several different systems depending on year, model, transmission, Lambda or not so you've got some homework to do before you even start.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 19:13   #3
Jimsiss

Custom is the way to go, I’ve had a long life made one before (well they bent the pipe and supplied the box, I fitted it and welded it). But being a franchise it depends on the person at the place building the exhaust as to how good it is.

JP exhausts in Macclesfield is very good but they are very pricey and won’t supply a Cat if you need one (most places don’t). From what I’ve seen of Top Gear exhausts around Manchester/Cheshire way they are very good.

Most custom exhaust places will build to your requirements but if you need a down pipe make sure to ask in advance as a lot of places won’t make them due to the difference in flanges. Top Gear have a laser cutter so should be able to build you anything.

I built my own in stainless, 3” turbo back with a stainless cat and two larger boxes to keep the noise down. It took me a few days to do and cost around £300-400 in parts, gas for my Tig welder and electricity. I did spend about £400 on a cold cut chop saw though (I needed one for cutting bar stock for my lathe and other bits and pieces anyway).
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 19:52   #4
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, Might be worth emailing "Every Exhaust Part Ltd " in uk. jack
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 23:11   #5
gpl1968
VOC Member

I had a full exhaust fitted (behind the downpipe) last year by Cybox in Bromborough on the Wirral: https://www.cybox.co.uk/custom-build-exhausts/
They built a custom 2.5" exhaust with two boxes and a Magnaflow cat for £400. They originally quoted £500 but decided the down pipe was good and didn't need replacing so reduced the price accordingly.
I dropped the car off at 8am and it was ready at about 3pm.
I would happily reccomend them as they did a good job and i thought the price was very reasonable.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]

Last edited by gpl1968; Jun 16th, 2019 at 23:14.
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 13:58   #6
mhuk

or 3" downpipe and normal exhuast but with a divert valve for when you want more noise and power. (turbo car only though) GL is not turbo ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v4.jpg (103.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg v3.jpg (105.0 KB, 20 views)
mhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 00:58   #7
Silver940

Any good places near worthing,brighton still need a custom one for mine
Silver940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 01:16   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver940 View Post
Any good places near worthing,brighton still need a custom one for mine
If you don't mind a couple of hours drive, give Demand Engineering in Ipswich a shout - link in post #2 further up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 00:00   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I knew i'd seen it somewhere :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBX-Catba...o/173676787296

A well respected name stateside for stainless exhaust products.

Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 16:26   #10
Jimsiss

As long as you don’t order a downpipe as their are for LHD so don’t need to avoid a steering column, I also seem to remember reading about the flanges not being in the correct position too but that was a few years ago