Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Drain advice

Views : 1185

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 21:00   #1
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Default Brake System Drain advice

Hi everyone,

Today I set about addressing the replacement of all of my brake's flexi hoses that go between the metal brake lines and the calipers on my PH1 1999 T4.

Things came to a halt rather quickly when i found the metal brake line ends exposed to the elements that connect to the felxi hoses were rusted to hell, so much so that the unions that are supposed to free spin around the metal pipes were rusted solid to the pipe.
Gallons of WD40 and much waiting for it to penetrate did not help and so i decided to try turning the flexi hose from the caliper end on the union to get the first pipe off, i was very gentle but still cracked the rusted pipe causing me a major leaky problem.

So now i need to replace the metal pipes too and to be honest i need to do all four, it needed it anyway and i was just just trying to get away with not having to but obviously that wasn't going to happen.
What i plan to do is buy a brake pipe kit and splice some new ends into some good pipe where ever i can, i really don't want to be dropping the fuel tank and running entirely new lines especially considering my tank is almost full right now.

So right now with the cracked pipe all the fluid has leaked out (i did place a piece of clingfilm under the cap to try and hold the leaking back before i started but the whole reservoir is now empty so i need to do a total refill when the time comes.

My question is what will the system being drained do to the master cylinder, anything bad or do i just carry on fix the pipes fill up and bleed as normal?
Presumably i need to bleed the master cylinder or will that bleed through ok when I fill up and bleed at the calipers?

I haven't even tried to open the bleed nipples on the calipers yet but seeing as the system is drained i might take the calipers off and try and remove the nipples and replacement with new ones as they look as badly rusted as the pipes.

Any thoughts advice or glaring procedures i should follow would be very much appreciated in order to fill the system back up and get it back to normal once ive spliced my new pipe in.

Is the clutch hydraulic on the PH1 T4? if it is is it in the brake circuit or totally seperate, any considerations regarding this i need to know?

Also what size is the brake pipe on a PH1 T4 ? (i.e. what size pipe and unions should i be buying?).
Thanks very much!

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)

Last edited by Neil H; Sep 13th, 2017 at 21:45.
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleed, bleeding, brakes, master cylinder, v40 1.9 t4 ph1