Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on buying used XC90

Views : 1093

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 00:19   #1
M627

Default Advice on buying used XC90

Hi Everyone!

Need help on buying 2010 XC90 Active model with 61K miles, 1 owner with FVSH (7 Stamps) @ 11.5K. Buying at used car seller and seller is arranging new 12 months MOT and 3 tyres changed before delivery.

I am not sure what works and parts are changed during all these services so I have requested seller to provide all the service history details(invoices or any documents on completed work and parts) but seller is saying that is not possible, all the services are done at main dealer which is already available on service book. and no dealer will release this information to 3rd party.

My question is how can I believe all the required work/parts are changed during the previous services as required/suggested by Volvo dealer? Service stamp on service book shows that date, time and where it has be done. It is not proof of what work is done during the service.

Any inputs/suggestions from members of this forum will be great help to take a right decision.

Thank you.
M627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:41   #2
4x4
I roll

Assume if the servicing was carried out at a Volvo dealership they would have completed each and every service as per the service manual, plus they would have changed and charged for any additional items that were required outwith normal service items as they are all profit orientated and their aim is to get as much of your hard earned as they possibly can.

At 61k it will be mostly oil, oil filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, air filter, tyres as and when required. I would expect the original discs and pads to still be on the car, the cam belt and auxiliary belt and ancillaries will be original
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:52   #3
M627

Thank you 4x4.

So you mean I need to replace cam belt, auxiliary belt, disc and pads as part of next service? Which is due in next two months.

But seller confirmed cam belt and auxiliary need to be changed at 85k mikes or 10 years.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:50   #4
4x4
I roll

Cam belt service interval is 10 years or 108k miles and aux belt should be done at the same time, therefore I would doubt they will change them at 8 years and 61K
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:11   #5
M627

Thank you 4x4.

Just I had short test drive, frankly speaking I am driving first time any 4x4. Ignition started without any issue and drive was ok I dint find any unusual sounds, no major scratches or dents, I am hoping everything ok mechanically by looking at the service stamps(not missed any service from last 7.5 years). Is any other things do I need to consider before agreeing for final purchase. I assume disc and pads need to be replaced on next service if required.
The Following User Says Thank You to M627 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:45   #6
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

My experience of an XC90, and something I will take forward to my next purchase is this.

These are heavy cars. I bought mine with 105k lies on. It now has 128k. Around 100k I would suggest that suspension parts, bushes, rods and links need replacing.

Bearing that in mind at circa 61k miles you are well away from such replacements. I would be ahoy to take a car with 61k miles on and in a few years begin to act proactively on it. Things such as Transmission fluid changes, Haldex Service, clean out the EGR pipework etc.

Routine run of the mill expendable items like brakes and discs are things you should do anyway, but a well kept vehicle goes beyond that, and the few things above are what I would do to keep your purchase in tip top condition.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 17:35   #7
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by M627 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Need help on buying 2010 XC90 Active model with 61K miles, 1 owner with FVSH (7 Stamps) @ 11.5K. Buying at used car seller and seller is arranging new 12 months MOT and 3 tyres changed before delivery.

I am not sure what works and parts are changed during all these services so I have requested seller to provide all the service history details(invoices or any documents on completed work and parts) but seller is saying that is not possible, all the services are done at main dealer which is already available on service book. and no dealer will release this information to 3rd party.

My question is how can I believe all the required work/parts are changed during the previous services as required/suggested by Volvo dealer? Service stamp on service book shows that date, time and where it has be done. It is not proof of what work is done during the service.

Any inputs/suggestions from members of this forum will be great help to take a right decision.

Thank you.
Hi M627

As 4x4 said, if a Volvo main dealer has completed each and every service, it would be completed as per the service manual, they would also have changed and charged for any additional items that were required.

As it already has a FVSH, how about trying to negotiate getting the dealer that is selling the vehicle to have the vehicle serviced by an authorised Volvo dealer? If they're not willing to do that, why not check how much the recommended service would be from Volvo and try to secure a larger discount? Depending upon the type of service they do for you, you might just get a quick oil & filter change plus the stamp in the book

That way you'll have a little more peace of mind and you retain the FVSH that the vehicle already has. Another benefit of FVSH is that you get to retain the pan-european Volvo Breakdown assistance membership (so if you currently pay for AA/RAC membership that's another saving!).

Last edited by C320; Apr 24th, 2018 at 17:43.
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
used xc90 2010, xc90 60k, xc90 awd