Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you open the fan grill on passenger side?

Views : 615

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2018, 15:29   #1
Hoggy32

Default How do you open the fan grill on passenger side?

So for a year or two my fan grill thingy has been broken and it seems really easy to fix it, however I'm not sure how I can get into it.
As you can see on the picture the "teeth" has popped out of its place.

Driver side is easy, but passenger side I don't know where the screws are or how can I fix it.
Hoggy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 09:28   #2
loely

To the left and right of the grill are two plastic pens with a spring washer.
Push a small screwdriver between the grill and the outer side and wring the grill outwards at one side until the pen (2 to 3 mm) from the slot in which the grill can move up and down comes out the hole.Look out for the washers .
You can fix it now .Reassemble in the reverse order, dont forget the washers on the pins.
Push the to two pins in back in the slots.Look if the grille can move up and down ans stays in any position to see if you washers are in place.
Job done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grill.jpg (45.1 KB, 26 views)
loely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loely For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 19:54   #3
Hoggy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by loely View Post
To the left and right of the grill are two plastic pens with a spring washer.
Push a small screwdriver between the grill and the outer side and wring the grill outwards at one side until the pen (2 to 3 mm) from the slot in which the grill can move up and down comes out the hole.Look out for the washers .
You can fix it now .Reassemble in the reverse order, dont forget the washers on the pins.
Push the to two pins in back in the slots.Look if the grille can move up and down ans stays in any position to see if you washers are in place.
Job done.
Thanks for the help, I tried today and managed to get it off and fix the grill however, putting it back is literally impossible without breaking it (or the pins).
Is there any other way to pop out the whole unit and fix it?
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 10:12   #4
loely

Not that I know,but I did mine a few times and no broken pins.Maybe heat it up or let the sun do the work.Putting the screwdriver next to the pin after inserting the other side first.Or bend the washers a little so they d'ont push that hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to loely For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 10:38   #5
canis
Non Fragile

The only way to get the entire unit out is to tease it's plastic tongues past the aperture. If I remember right, there are two tongues on each side. They're very robust though, and what it would take to prise them inwards to draw the entire vent forwards and out ... well, I dunno, I don't think it could be done without marring the dashboard's vinyl skin.

They can be slotted back into place quite easily, but getting it out seemed impossible to me when I tried it. I ended up cutting the dashboard around the vent, which was alright for me since it was a spare dashboard from another car.

With the vanes removed, I wonder if you could pull the tongues inwards somehow? Otherwise, I'd remove it (destructively if necessary) and fit a new one.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 07:57   #6
loely

Just to be sure, I did remove the left and right side grill from a spare parts car.I got them out and back in without cutting the dash.
I did never see a dashboard destructed at the dealer.
If someone can assemble it you should also be able to put it back together.
Pushing the pen at one side in the hole gives you only 2 or 3 mm you must push the grill sideways .Once the pen is on the plastic holder you can push it till it jumps into the hole. Use a kitchen knife (larger) if the screwdriver mould make scratches.
It is possibly to get it in and out without damage the dash
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loely For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 16:38   #7
Hoggy32

I managed to put it back without breaking anything. Took me a few minute but it's all about what side you put in first to fit it in. xD