Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2007 Starting issues

Views : 399

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2018, 13:44   #1
slaphead720

Default XC90 2007 Starting issues

Hello all.

My first post so apologies if its in the wrong location.

For a while now I have been having intermittent starting problems on my XC90. Since it started last year, I have had the starter motor replaced and now the ECM refurbished, all with no joy.
I can still start the car every time with a lead from the starter/solenoid to the battery positive post under the bonnet, and then it runs without any issues.
It has been into a main dealer but again with no definate answer, just it might be the ECM, followed by the price of £2000+ and then either 10mins labour or 10 hours.
Which is why I decided to try a replacement ECM, with the option to return if it didnt work, and it hasnt.
Im running out of ideas.
Would the antenna ring cause problems like this?

Thanks,

Alan
slaphead720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 14:03   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

ECMs are coded to the car due to immobiliser etc, so a replacement won't work unless coded

Use VIDA and check what faults are logged
Start checking for logged faults every 2 days or so until you find something.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 14:17   #3
slaphead720

Hi Swiss,

Thanks for your reply.
I had a replacement ECM with all my data on it and the same problem as soon as it was connected.
There are no faults on the dash and its the same thing every time I go to start.....nothing, so pop the bonnet and use my lead then it runs as normal.
AA diagnosed as On relay side to ECU showing 3v, suspect poor connection on ECU.
The lead bypasses the relay and it starts.
Showed this to the main dealer and they said possibly ECM
slaphead720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 17:47   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

Yet again. a case of complete incompetence at the main dealers. This can probably be diagnosed with a little nouse and a test light. Take it to a Volvo indy (suggest Wrights at Attleborough)
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 19:38   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphead720 View Post
There are no faults on the dash and its the same thing every time I go to start.....nothing, so pop the bonnet and use my lead then it runs as normal.
But what is logged in the ECM and CEM?
This is where you need to connect VIDA and read all the data from the modules
They store many many parameters and lots of info about the motor

Even if zero faults are logged in the ECM & CEM, this still tells you a lot, because it eliminates a huge amount of complex systems and leaves you with very simple electrics (starter moto, starter motor relay) to inspect
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: