Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox oil

Views : 590

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:21   #1
02GF74

Default gearbox oil

As I am soon about to replace CV gaiter, which involves pulling the drive shaft out (I assume driver's side will just pull out as I was able to do with the other side) - I am thinking of replacing the gearbox oil.

When I last pulled out the driveshft, there was a tiny dribble of oil - since I do not know where the gearbox drain plug is and don't really like crawling beneath the car, is it possible to use a hose to syphon out gearbox oil via the hole for the driveshaft and then replace with the same volume. I would be using synthetic and am not too bothered if all of the oil is not replaced - are there any problems with incompatible oils?

Would refilling until oil started coming out of the driveshaft hole be correct level or too much?

Does this sound like a good idea or not possible/or bad idea.

(mileage is 160,000, 850 T5 manual).
02GF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:51   #2
volvo2
Master Member

I don't think there is a drain plug. I have been tempted to change the gearbox oil myself but understand it never needs to be changed. Although at very high mileage (I'm on 200,000) I do wonder.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:00   #3
Spawned66

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0jDN2NUVI
Spawned66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 14:15   #4
Stu B
Master Member

Hi, I did this on mine when replacing the clutch as I had to remove driveshafts and in fact the gearbox too of course. There is a drain and a fill plug, see Haynes manual for locations. Make sure you can undo the fill plug first as if you can’t then you don’t want to drain it!

It takes approx 2L of oil to drain and fill and I just drained the whole thing and used the correct spec oil from Volvo as trying to work out the equivalent spec from Halfords etc wasn’t worth it. I’ll have the receipts and part numbers for oil if required. I changed the driveshaft seals while I was at it for good measure but wouldn’t it they aren’t leaking as they’d be tricky to extract with the ‘box in place.

For filling I used a simple hand pump into the fill hole via the wheelarch (pull back the liner) to save making a mess or spilling expensive oil. You fill to the level of the filler plug with the car on even ground once the driveshafts are back in place.

As an alternative just for doing the CV, you can jack up the side of the car you’re working on high enough and support it with axle stands to tilt the ‘box enough not to loose any oil, I did it last weekend for a CV boot job.

Hope that helps. For info my car had 163k on it when I did the gearbox oil and clutch etc and the gearchange is really smooth since and very quiet in operation.

Stu
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 14:28   #5
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

75w on our 850
I have 3 bottles of genuine volvo 75w synthetic gearbox fluid if y want it.
The car takes 2 litres and a little bit.

I changed the 'box oil on a car recenty - was astonished at the improvement in smoothness and quiet. Highly recommended. Only needs to be done once in your ownership of the car.