Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector cleaning D5 185

Views : 1053

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 09:33   #1
jtaw45

Default Injector cleaning D5 185

I'm looking to find out if there's a way to make a closed loop fuel system to flush the injectors on my car. I wish to run neat Liqui Moly Diesel purge through the injectors to give them a thorough clean.

I did this on a previous XC90 163bhp with amazing results but the fuel system is different on the 185.

I'm not interested in cleaners you add to your fuel or filling the filter housing with neat fluid as it just gets diluted down to beyond anything even remotely beneficial in my opinion.

The closed loop I used before was definitely the way to go but not sure it's possible on the 185 due to it relying on a stronger fuel pump at the rear of the car as opposed to the 163bhp which would just suck the fuel out of a jar in the engine compartment.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 10:20   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

I understand this has been tried and it was a No.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 11:58   #3
Zchas13

I too have been wondering about how to do this.

I've not done it, but was wondering why no-one has suggested waiting til the tank is virtually dry, adding the moly into the diesel tank then and running it til it stops?

The concentration of cleaner would be greatest this way and no fancy interruptions of the fuel lines would be needed. As far as I'm aware the car will restart after a few turns of the key as the pumps prime the system don't they?

I've read that you should probably change the fuel filter after cleaning?

Not an expert by the way and am expecting to hear that this would be a bad idea for some reason?
Zchas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:16   #4
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchas13 View Post
I too have been wondering about how to do this.

I've not done it, but was wondering why no-one has suggested waiting til the tank is virtually dry, adding the moly into the diesel tank then and running it til it stops?
Who said it hasn't been suggested ? There are plenty of posts about doing it this way. The OP said he didn't want to do it via dilution method, and there will be some dilution adding 5ltrs to the tank, even it was run as low as you dare.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 17:38   #5
Zchas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
Who said it hasn't been suggested ? There are plenty of posts about doing it this way. The OP said he didn't want to do it via dilution method, and there will be some dilution adding 5ltrs to the tank, even it was run as low as you dare.
OK, what about running til completely dry tank, adding the moly, running to dry again? Any problem with this?

If not, why do people bother interrupting the fuel supply on the 163 version as my suggestion is easier to do?
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 21:15   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
why do people bother interrupting the fuel supply on the 163 version as my suggestion is easier to do?
1. Interrupting the fuel circuit in the engine bay creates a very small feed and return loop which in turn generates significantly more heat in the Diesel Purge giving a more thorough clean.

2. It keeps the strong detergent effect out of the tank. You don't want to unsettle possible tank sediment and clog the in tank pump and fuel filter.

3. The engine bay loop means you can effectively clean your injectors and HP pump with a tenth of the quantity.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 01:12   #7
Zchas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
1. Interrupting the fuel circuit in the engine bay creates a very small feed and return loop which in turn generates significantly more heat in the Diesel Purge giving a more thorough clean.

2. It keeps the strong detergent effect out of the tank. You don't want to unsettle possible tank sediment and clog the in tank pump and fuel filter.

3. The engine bay loop means you can effectively clean your injectors and HP pump with a tenth of the quantity.
OK, so looking at the risk v reward of doing what I suggest, what is the risk of sediment in the tank causing mischief to the engine with a fuel filter in place?

When the alternative that is suggested to do so is impossible with the 185 engine compare to what can be done to the 163?
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:24   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
OK, so looking at the risk v reward of doing what I suggest, what is the risk of sediment in the tank causing mischief to the engine with a fuel filter in place?
The risk is variable dependant on several factors so you'll have to do it and let us know.

Quote:
When the alternative that is suggested to do so is impossible with the 185 engine
Nothing is impossible and if I had a Euro 4, I'm certain that I'd work out a way.