Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rti not working help

Views : 1243

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2019, 19:08   #1
945GLM
older now

Unhappy Rti not working help

It’s been a while since I have been on this forum but have Just yesterday picked up my second hand V70 se lux 2.5t. Wanted to use the in build sat nav but screen just states there is not a map disc in/cannot read disc!

Would using a dvd cleaning disc help? If not could I swap I “working” dvd reader from another V70 or would this cause software problems?

It’s a 2008 model.
Any advice greatly received. Thanks

Last edited by 945GLM; Nov 19th, 2019 at 19:10.
945GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:41   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Conversation overheard at my dealer.
Well sir, do you want to spend £300 trying to fix the nav system or would you preffer to go to halfords and spend £150 on a Tom Tom that works.

I don't have nav on my cars and frankly for the above reasons never would, preffering a garman when needed, so have no idea if a secondhand unit will work. My belife is they are coded to the car and that itself is a dealer job as it needs the live link to Gothenburg to code anything on these cars even if it can be recoded.

I once baught a second hand radio for a Mercedes sprinter, many on eBay that would never work as they were coded to the vehicle they came from, only one seller offering an "Open" radio. They it seemed had opened the radio and flashed the chip to remove all the coding information. The radio then coded to the first vehicle it was powered up on.

How this chip was flashed I have no idea but it showed me that the days of find a secondhand unit and fit it were gone it's far more involved than that these days and has the potential to cost a lot of money for little or no return.

Halfords currently have a sale on Sat nav in my local.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 22:59   #3
richardt1994

Hello 945GLM,

A few of suggestions:

1. The error message you report indicates that the DVD-ROM drive in the boot is spinning up and trying to read the disc. It then decides it cannot find what it is expecting to, i.e. a valid map disc, or fails to read the disc and displays the error. Sometimes, just ejecting and re-inserting the disc can do the trick.

2. This could be either a problem with the DVD-ROM drive or the disc itself. Have you checked that the disc is the correct one for the V70, and if so, does it have any obvious sctraches or defects on the playing surface?

3. Do you have another map disc you could try? If not your local Volvo dealer may be willing to loan you a disc to try.

4. These boot mounted DVD players do seem prone to dust contamination that can cause the sort of problem you are seeing. I had an intermittent problem with my V70 RTI Sat Nav where it would stop, freeze and re-load the disc all on its own. I used a CD/DVD lens cleaning disc purchased from Amazon (about £10) and ran it through the DVD-ROM 2 or 3 times - problem solved.

5. If the disc is not a genuine Volvo original, but a copy made to a DVD+R DL disc then depending on how well the copy was burned, the quality of the disc and how old it is, the dyes used can deteriorate over time and result in all sorts of errors.

For the cost of a CD/DVD lens cleaner, it is worth a try in my book. I all else fails then GreenVanMan's suggestion is a good one :-)
richardt1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 16:44   #4
craigie1

Hi My XC90 sat nav screen popped up saying there was no disc, there isn't a disc in it as per the 2006 models and it would not go back down again for about a week. All of a sudden i'ts gone down and wont come back up. but if i leave the car a few days the fairly new battery flattens. I think its still on though retracted, would getting a disc and inserting it into the unit under the seat make it pop up again?

Thank you
craigie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 10:12   #5
945GLM
older now

Angry Still on luck

Ok I have tried a cleaning disc no luck, I have also checked the discs themselves and they look good. None of the three discs I have work all are original Volvo.

I have also found out that just prior to picking up my car it had a new cam belt fitted during which I would imagine the battery was disconnected.
Did I read somewhere that if the correct disconnect procedure was not followed then problems could occur? Is it possible that I have lost the DVD start up code?

I know a Tom Tom or similar is an easy alternative but I am keen to use the vehicles original equipment.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 13:10   #6
reggit
Premier Member

Does the drive spin up when you insert the disc?

I've read about the lasers failing and they can be replaced. Don't know if the satnav in the early P3 is the same as the P2? On these it is possible to open up the DVD drive module and replace the actual DVD reader whilst keeping the coded electronics original.
It just means digging around on breaker listings to find a working similar unit. Be aware that just changing the entire DVD reader is unlikely to work.