Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing between Wipers and washer

Views : 1227

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 10:08   #1
abgersaurus
Volvo Fanatic

Question Timing between Wipers and washer

Hi.

this is my 3rd P2 volvo (S60), and I am having a very annoying problem with my washer and wipers

the wipers come on BEFORE the washers, that means that the rubber on the wiper blades will get worn out faster. they simply scrape across my windshield and THEN my washer fluid sprays!

the 2 cars I had before (V70 and S60) both had the washers come on first, saturating the windshield THEN wipe away.

the old V70 had headlight washers, the old S60 did not

the "new" S60 also has headlight washers, allbeit scraping the dirt then washing :/

are there any way of setting the timing, or do I had a faulty washerpump/motor?
abgersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:39   #2
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

probably clogged pipe or bottle. my p2s were both fine
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 09:45   #3
VroomVroomClonk

Or, a lot of cars have a non-return valve in the washer pipes to prevent all the fluid draining back into the reservoir between uses.
I have had that valve fail before on other cars, and the exact symptom is a time-delay when used whilst the pipes all fill up again before the spray starts.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 11:20   #4
abgersaurus
Volvo Fanatic

thanks to both of you guys, I will check my washer pipes/tubes aswell as my one-way valve.

I'll make an update later
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 18:50   #5
The Landshark

The non return valve is fitted on the right hand side of the bonnet under the cover for the washer jet. It's about 50mm to the right of the jet.
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 19:24   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Landshark View Post
The non return valve is fitted on the right hand side of the bonnet under the cover for the washer jet. It's about 50mm to the right of the jet.
+1
Also you will get easier to it by removing a corner of the soft damping material attached to the bonnet - this will expose some extra access holes into the bonnet. Be careful as the hose is attached at some points, detaching it will cause it to rattle - I was hearing this rattle from inside the cabin and had a hard time locating this - I simply put some dampening material under the hose to keep it from moving

Last edited by oragex; Nov 16th, 2019 at 19:26.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 08:45   #7
abgersaurus
Volvo Fanatic

Talking

Sorry for the long wait

I finally got to look at the 1-way valves on the washer system near the windscreen.

I had originally bought one 1-way and 1 2-way from Partsforvolvo in the UK but they where a different shape and I realized that I needed two 1-way valves.

I ended up buying them from Skandix instead and swapped them, kinda a pia to be honest but after some time I managed to replace both 1-way valves inside the bonnet and the washer system works instantly!

now it works as it should, as soon as I pull the washer lever it sprays liquid on the windscreen and THEN the wipers engage

Thank you very much for helping me diagnose my problem, I feared it might have been the washer pump on its way out
The Following User Says Thank You to abgersaurus For This Useful Post:

Tags
pump timing, washers, wipers