Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hids or upgrade bulbs?

Views : 5195

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2015, 16:43   #21
PETE S40
Tight arse Yorkshireman

How have you mounted your ballasts mount vision rider?

Looks like zip ties but its not that clear on my phone.... iv got some really strong double sided sticky pads in the box of bits hopefully they will be upto the job. See whats what when they arrive.
PETE S40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 18:30   #22
Mount vision rider
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE S40 View Post
How have you mounted your ballasts mount vision rider?

Looks like zip ties but its not that clear on my phone.... iv got some really strong double sided sticky pads in the box of bits hopefully they will be upto the job. See whats what when they arrive.
The brackets are bolted to the car. The zip ties are around the ballast and bracket as they slide about abit in the brackets and I didn't want them dropping out!
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 21:26   #23
villar4sotrondio

By skyship:
(Every sensible Volvo owner keeps his headlights or DRL's on when driving during the daytime).

Nonsense. What every sensible Volvo owner should keep on at all times is his/her brain and their common sense so they switch on their lights at the slightest hint of poor visibility rather that wasting fuel and bulbs needlessly and dazzling other drivers. It's pathetic to see cars with lights on in a perfectly clear day and another example of nanny state treating us like brainless monkeys. One size does not fit all

I use Osram Nightbreakers and they are OK but definitely not as long lasting as ordinary bulbs.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 21:35   #24
Dean1985
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount vision rider View Post
You can see where the ballast is on the drivers side, passenger side is in the side of the battery what you can't see in this pic.

I managed to hide mine behind the indicators with the wiring going in under the headlight, so is all hidden out of sight. it was a tight fit but do-able. Guess it depends on what ballasts you got
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean1985 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 21:48   #25
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Nice engine bay covers MVR.

I'm with sky ship on the DRL Debate. I think lights should be on at all time. As nice as silver and grey cars are, They are so much harder to see than other cars on the road. Unfortunately, not many people have common sense and so even in the awkward hours of the evening many people leave their lights off in what would seem a 50 50 split. Too many people use the " I can see so it's ok " excuse when the reality is it should be " can other people see me effectively"

Just my opinion anyway

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 21:58   #26
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnaz GSh View Post

I'm with sky ship on the DRL Debate. I think lights should be on at all time. As nice as silver and grey cars are, They are so much harder to see than other cars on the road. Unfortunately, not many people have common sense and so even in the awkward hours of the evening many people leave their lights off in what would seem a 50 50 split. Too many people use the " I can see so it's ok " excuse when the reality is it should be " can other people see me effectively"

Just my opinion anyway
I'm with Spetsnaz. If you are relying on peoples common sense you are going to be waiting till the end of time.

I'd ask the question, why are DRLs only required on the front of cars? The manufacturers that started the trend had the sense to put them on the front and rear. You only need to look at a dumbass cyclist (if you see them at all), dressed all in black and riding in the half light or deep shadow, to realise that lights front and back at any time of day aren't a bad idea.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 22:35   #27
Mount vision rider
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
I'm with Spetsnaz. If you are relying on peoples common sense you are going to be waiting till the end of time.

I'd ask the question, why are DRLs only required on the front of cars? The manufacturers that started the trend had the sense to put them on the front and rear. You only need to look at a dumbass cyclist (if you see them at all), dressed all in black and riding in the half light or deep shadow, to realise that lights front and back at any time of day aren't a bad idea.
Mine are left on all the time then there is no excuse for the idiot who pulls out on me!!!! "Oh I didn't see you!!!"
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 07:44   #28
310den

On my phase 1 you cannot disable the DRL but on the rear of the switch I found one terminal labelled 'DRL'. I disconnected that wire and now the DRL lights still come on all around but only sidelights at the front so not the dipped beam. Lights work as normal when turned on to position 2. I would rather have the 5 watt bulbs on all the time than the 55 watt ones. If visibility dictates I need low beam on I will turn it on.
310den is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 310den For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 15:16   #29
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I bought a Volvo *specifically* because it has DRLs (no, seriously, that was one of the main factors)

I was gutted when I discovered you could turn them off so I followed tt82's guide to disable the off function.

I now get frustrated when I hire a car and you can't just leave them on dipped beam all the time.

I get more frustrated when I see people driving with their lights off. Especially in the rain on a motorway. It actually gives me the urge to smash into them just to make a point, it angers me that much.

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 18th, 2015 at 15:18.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 18:04   #30
villar4sotrondio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnaz GSh View Post

Just my opinion anyway
Yes, we agree on the nature of the problem but not on the solution.
The only reason we need DRL's is people neglecting their duties as drivers and that is what should be targeted.

If people cannot be trusted to switch on their lights when needed, what hope do we have when it comes to other critical to safety items like tyres?
Soon someone out there will think their tyres are "filled for life" too!