Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reserch S40 Turbo upgrade kits

Views : 2810

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 09:30   #1
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default Reserch S40 Turbo upgrade kits

Hello, so im after a bit of advice as I have no idea on tuning etc but im looking to upgrade the car again. Im just trying to do reserch on what I might need to help support the below K16 kit, and if anyone knows a cheaper place to get this or something similar?

https://www.elevatecars.com/store/vo...o-upgrade.html

I want to upgrade the car to get much more gains now but I still obviously dont want to blow it up.

Any advice etc would be great!
Thanks
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 19:25   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

Smile

That a lot of power, more importantly it's a lot of speed available in a very short space time which means you need extremely powerful brakes and a competiton/upgraded clutch, upgraded engine and gearbox mounts etc etc.

Your driveshafts/cv joints will soon let you know if they can handle such a hike in torque.

To at least neglect the brakes means you may receive a posthumous Darwin award for cleaning up the gene pool, something for the mantlepiece of your nearest and dearest with the added bonus of your mates wearing bumper stickers with 'R.I.P. Dominic' or whatever your name is....

If you can't do the brakes OR Insurance don't do the upgrade....imo.
__________________________________________________ _____
If you wear a baseball cap back to front then just do engine upgrade on it's own, you'll be fine. Honest!!

Last edited by 4candles; Jan 6th, 2016 at 20:24.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 22:38   #3
850Chris
Premier Member

This springs to mind;

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

As per previous post, a major turbo upgrade such as this should be the very last modification done and, in addition to uprated brakes, clutch, engine cylinder liners / block reinforcement, suspension and tyres would also likely require modifications to the cooling systems (water and oil). You're talking serious cash for this!!!!

300bhp is attainable with the standard turbo, free flow exhaust, larger intercooler and re-map. Surely this is ample for a road car and would leave you sufficient change from the K16 Turbo Upgrade to get your brakes and suspension sorted too?

Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 00:35   #4
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
The exact one i was thinking about...

although i wish the old American guy who popped into the back of his brand new Winnebago campervan to make a brew after setting it on cruise control died (and got full Darwin honours) when he veered off the side of a 100ft bridge, miraculously he survived so it seems some fools slip through the net.
I wonder if he ever fathered children?

Last edited by 4candles; Jan 7th, 2016 at 00:48.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 09:47   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

Haha thanks for the unmotivational posts. Yeh im looking for those gains definitely. I know it will be a lot of money, but im really doing my research now for everything i need to support that upgrade and get that on before that turbo which would be the last step ... that car is going to be more a track and drag car and obviously not a daily driver as im looking for something else to use as a daily.

No I dont drive fast on the road, I wait till the track.

im new to this and my hobby is to learn more about cars or my car and upgrading it and tinkering ... obviously I want to tinker and improve but not blow it up.

(I have already upgraded exhaust / intake / bilestein coils and a remap so im close to 300 and running 14.5 quarter mile but obviously want to get quicker)

Last edited by domhart10; Jan 7th, 2016 at 09:49.
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 23:47   #6
tommy t4
Premier Member

Go for it mate, if you can do it, do it. You have posted in the grandad section, and site, that's basically the response you would get! I'm always modifying and pretty much, all my cars are.....good luck!!
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 16:30   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Randomly found myself back on this thread again so I thought I would tie it up for anyone else that looks to go down this route with the P1 T5 engine's

Doing the K16 upgrade needs quite a few additions I will split them out from essential for running the turbo to also the ones that will are really needed but not vital to the upgrade.

Needed for the Turbo to run
- Larger injectors 550cc or higher
- 3" Downpipe (Although you might as well make the whole system 3" then)
- 3" Adapter hose from turbo to intake if you are still running the OEM intake pipe

Advisable
- Block mod (Liners)
- Forge Rods / Pistons if planning on running above 350bhp (quite a few builds have broken rods after having K16 installed)
- Volvo S60R Clutch kit
- Focus RS MK2 Oil Cooler
- Uprated fuel pump
- Limited slip diff
- uprated plenum
- Performance intercooler

My thread for the build below:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271945

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 15:59   #8
Jonny Cut Corners

Nice to see someone going back to their own thread to wrap up an old question. Well done.
Jonny Cut Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny Cut Corners For This Useful Post: