Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR - How to Test and Wiring Diagram - V70 2006 2.4 D5

Views : 4350

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2019, 21:40   #21
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
DICE and VIDA ... now up and running with Diagnostic tab accessible.

But goodness me what a load of information to get to grips with!

So far have reset the DPF mileage, not sure what that really does other than tell you to buy a new one.

Also learn how to open a window and turn the EGR valve on/off.

Just need to learn how to clear codes to see what is really going on.
Hi good you got it all working
look at the MAF reading when switching on and off the EGR valve
if it is working you will see the MAF value change,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2019, 22:05   #22
rik007

That is very helpful .... will have a look tomorrow.

I'm browsing through the application at the moment.

Looks like I have:

MAF issues
Swirl Flap Actuator issues
Heated Oxygen issues

and a number of other less vital problems.

I'm still not too sure how to clear the codes though.

Seems I could buy just the MAF sensor rather than the hugely overpriced plastic surround and I'll find an actuator somewhere; seems they commonly fail. The Oxygen one I guess will also need a new part.

Richard
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 01:26   #23
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
I'm still not too sure how to clear the codes though.
In Fault Trace click the Delivery Tab, scroll down and click on Erase All bottom left of the screen then carefully follow the on screen instructions before pressing OK.

I would then clear the Vehicle Profile screen and read the vehicle again ensuring that the Region Code/Partner Group is set to EUR/INT
Click Diagnostics and when prompted, click for an updated read of all systems.
The Initial State tab in Fault Trace will show the current time for the new code read and the codes shown will be the ones which are currently active.
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 11:22   #24
The Landshark

I'm working through EGR faults on mine at the moment too.
I stripped it all out yesterday and cleaned the whole thing.
Putting it back still gave the same faults.(ECM-6170 egr flow too low and ECM-135F Maf signal too high). I think i'ts dumping boost through the egr and into the exhaust.
You can test the motor by removing the position sensor, there are two pins that go into the motor housing that supply power. I put two multimeter leads on a battery and poked them carefully into the holes in the motor housing, one way runs the valve in and the other runs it out.
The shaft bearing on mine is very worn, i think i'll have to replace the whole lot as I'm getting readings in VIDA that don't make sense. Egr valve and Egr position sensor data is not making sense.
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 17:17   #25
rik007

That is helpful info ....

I did wonder whether to apply 12v direct to the EGR motor down the two holes after the circuit board component was removed. Thought better of it at the time, but perhaps I should have given it a go. It did seem to move on the motor OK though opening, maybe 10mm. But I still don't quite know if its working correctly. They seems to be expensive parts for hat they do!
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 23:29   #26
The Landshark

Changed out the EGR and position sensor this evening, EGR flow control fault is now gone but the MAF too high is still there, i can now hear boost leakage so i may have disturbed something when i was at it, i'll get it jacked up in the morning and check the resonator seals and air pipes.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 11:10   #27
rik007

Hi, did you use new parts? Can you say where you got them and how much?

I'm still fiddling about with my EGR and Swirl. Also seems the oxygen sensors are shot.

Thanks, Richard
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 15:59   #28
The Landshark

Just found the problem, the intake pipe came off the turbo when I was removing the egr cooler.
All seems ok now.
The egr valve was €242, position sensor was €146 and the two gaskets were €17. All plus vat.
The egr valve is an exchange unit, price is with core refund subtracted, all from the local Volvo dealer.
Edit, I replaced the swirl throttle a few years ago so I know it's good.
The oxygen sensors have thrown faults before but related to other things and are fine without me going near them.
I reckon if the egr is stuck open and dumping boost into the exhaust then the oxygen sensors are going to see too much and throw a code.The only codes I have left are for a duff air quality sensor and a missing radio(i fitted a kenwood).

Last edited by The Landshark; Oct 12th, 2019 at 16:03.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 09:54   #29
rik007

Thanks, that is very helpful.

I have put a working swirl flap actuator on the car. So will see how that effects the MAF readings.

I have also picked up another EGR valve assembly; but it is a used one. Which I will put on.

I would be great to be able to test these units on the bench; but I assume the electronics stop that from happening.

Will wait on the oxygen sensor perhaps to see if it comes good after the EGR is fixed.

Richard
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 20:43   #30
rik007

Put the cleaned EGR assembly onto the car .... looks like the errors have gone away! For the moment at least.

The swirl actuator still isn't happy, but I'll look further into that.

Unfortunately the Turbo Boost Pressure is now showing a fault code .... perhaps same as Landshark's problem.

Any ideas how I can clear the Engine System warning light and message???

Many thanks Richard