Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1986 740GL For Slae

Views : 7320

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2014, 14:33   #41
capt jack
VOC Member

Indeed the offer of £250 was a half serious one, but I was certain that it wouldn't be taken up! If the car was a GLE or GLT, or a 240 estate then it'd sell.

It would be great to think that a Volvologist with deep pockets is out there and ready to save what is probably a very fine car. If I am ever rich I will start my own personal Volvo museum, and happily pay over the odds for cars like this.

But until ERNIE comes up trumps..........

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 09:19   #42
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Indeed the offer of £250 was a half serious one, but I was certain that it wouldn't be taken up! If the car was a GLE or GLT, or a 240 estate then it'd sell.

It would be great to think that a Volvologist with deep pockets is out there and ready to save what is probably a very fine car. If I am ever rich I will start my own personal Volvo museum, and happily pay over the odds for cars like this.

But until ERNIE comes up trumps..........

Cheers

Jack
Ha ha, ERNIE. That's a blast from the past, Jack!

Both of my big Volvos were GLE's and I don't think I would buy one with a lesser spec, unless it was REALLY special (10,000 miles on the clock with full receipt folder and Volvo fully stamped service book).

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 18:34   #43
Em740

It's still for sale!
I reduced the price to £1250, is this unrealistic? or is the 740 that unpopular?
Em740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 07:00   #44
Ashc

Have you tried advertising it elsewhere? I've noticed that cars don't always sell that easily on here. I presume that most of the people on here already own 740s and 940s.
Ashc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 10:36   #45
Em740

Hi Ashc,
Thanks for your reply. No I hadn't. I thought that perhaps the best place was the owners club forum as they may know someone that was looking for one or would even like one themselves in this condition.
At this price its not far from giving it away!
It's all tucked up in my fathers garage and not in my way so hence the lack of urgency to sell.
I'll try Auto Trader or Car and Classic. Although I suspect this time of year isn't the best time to sell anyway.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 11:32   #46
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em740 View Post
Hi Ashc,
Thanks for your reply. No I hadn't. I thought that perhaps the best place was the owners club forum as they may know someone that was looking for one or would even like one themselves in this condition.
At this price its not far from giving it away!
It's all tucked up in my fathers garage and not in my way so hence the lack of urgency to sell.
I'll try Auto Trader or Car and Classic. Although I suspect this time of year isn't the best time to sell anyway.
I wouldn't bother with AutoTrader for that car. I'd try Car & Classic or an eBay classified ad with lots and lots of pictures and detailed description on provenance and history / work carried out.

If you're not in a hurry to sell sit on it and list as I've suggested above.
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C320 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 14:30   #47
capt jack
VOC Member

A shame this hasn't sold, but frankly not really a surprise.

Think of who the potential buyers might be:

Not a typical 'classic car' fan - although it is stunning, being realistic a 30-yr-old 740 doesn't have the kerb appeal of say a Merc of the same age, and it doesn't have the wood-and-leather of older Triumphs, Rovers and so on.

Not a motorist looking for a modern family car - this old beast is big, heavy, thirsty, looks old-fashioned, doesn't have fold down rear seats, climate control, alloys, on-board computer, auto-dipping mirrors, built-in satnav, MP3 player and all the other computerographied electrickery that curse the modern chariot.

Not a dealer - he'd know only too well all of the above. And the response from the Haynes museum is a pretty stark verdict on the value of the 740 as a piece of motoring history.

It certainly appeals to me. I would love to own a 740 (my first Volvo was a 2.3 litre 740GL, in Wedgewood blue, E698 SNW). And it would spend most of it's time tucked up in a nice warm garage, to brought out only on high days and for the odd BKV. I'd spend weekends polishing it, and I'd probably be tempted to fit rear electric windows and a CD player. I doubt that it would get driven more than 2 or 3 thousand miles a year.

If the story of the 240 is anything to go by, 6 or 7 years ago cars in this sort of condition were selling for well under £1000. I know that because I looked at several before buying the 1800ES which did become my hobby car. At the time 240s were not as loved or sought-after as they are now. Will the 740 go the same way? maybe, maybe not.

Sad to say, and especially so when a car represents a family connection going back decades, but the sentimental value of anything is precisely zero on the open market.

I had a beautiful old V70, which I'd loved and cherished, sweated, toiled and cried over. It had carried me and my growing family faithfully and reliably for 250,000 miles and almost 9 years. I'd grazed my knuckles so many times in cleaning and caring for that car that I reckon if they DNA-sampled the wheel nuts and sump plug we'd have been declared blood relatives.

It still looked great, everything worked, with spotless body work and interior, but at 17 years old and 300,000 miles it sold for £625 to someone who wanted a cheap estate car that he could slap a tow-bar on to. No matter how I felt about it, an old car is worth only what a buyer will pay.

So, putting away my still-damp hankie, and as per my previous post, if it's a gentle and pampered retirement that you're wanting for your lovely old 740 then just let me know. Home would be the beautiful Vale of York, somewhere between 'Brideshead Revisited' and 'Open All Hours', with the occasional venture into 'Heartbeat' country! No motorways or multi-storey car parks, precious little in the way of speed-bumps or contra-flows.

Oh, and I would go perhaps a little bit more than my half-serious offer of last year!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jan 11th, 2015 at 14:35.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 17:22   #48
vzh7gk

That really does look very tidy.
And with manual box and velour upholstery more in my line.
Don't think you said whether it was 2.0 or 2.3? Also whether it had unleaded valves / seats?

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do anything about it right now. Will keep an eye on this thread though...
'93 Morgan 4/4 1.8 Zetec; '90 Land Rover Defender 90 SW 200Tdi
vzh7gk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 21:42   #49
Em740

Thanks for the replies.
I hear loud and clear what you all say and agree.
But hey like all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I'm passionate about cars myself and can admire and appreciate any car that has been well cared for. It's far easier to keep a new car looking well than an old one in tip top condition.
To be honest, the most I would hope for is that it went to a enthusiast.
I spoke with a chap at the Classic Cars show last year. His car (740) was on the Owners club stand, he obtained this car a few months earlier. So there are people out there that still want these cars!
I'm open to sensible offers, but seriously for £250 i'd probably get that scrap value!
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 21:43   #50
Em740

Oh apologies, should have added it is a 2.3 and runs on unleaded fuel.