Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cambelt jumped a tooth.

Views : 26404

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 22:33   #181
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Hi Lou without me having to read through the entire thread could you restate that your problems are?
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 22:40   #182
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Oh mate what a nightmare, before any other speculation, check to see if it has actually jumped a tooth, the car runs fine at first then jumps a tooth and back to square one, so if it does run ok when you first sort the timing, its not gonna be anyhting else but the fact its jumped again, you need to find out why it keeps doing this, do not look elsewhere, leads, sensors etc, how was the water pump, this is the only thing you havent changed that the belt runs on
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 22:51   #183
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Andy did you say a while back there was a wet patch near the tensioner?
Iam just thinking about your waterpump, this is the only thing that has not been changed, the fact is every time you reset the belt it runs fine, so this is definatly where your problem lies ie timing its just finding the cause of the belt slipping a tooth, anything else like plugs, leads, sensors it would be running rough even after you have reset the belt
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:08   #184
Stefanfed

How can you rule out sensors, leads etc these could bring on the fault during certain driving conditions and with the engine under loads and stresses and wouldnt mean there is a fault all the time ie: when the car has been driven for a while, certain revs, speed temp etc. You need to make sure that the belt is actually jumping a tooth before jumping to any other conclusions and spending more money. The chances of the water pump making it jump would be unlikely only if it had completley seized which could possibly cause the belt to jump alot more than 1 tooth.
Stefanfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:28   #185
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanfed View Post
How can you rule out sensors, leads etc these could bring on the fault during certain driving conditions and with the engine under loads and stresses and wouldnt mean there is a fault all the time ie: when the car has been driven for a while, certain revs, speed temp etc. You need to make sure that the belt is actually jumping a tooth before jumping to any other conclusions and spending more money. The chances of the water pump making it jump would be unlikely only if it had completley seized which could possibly cause the belt to jump alot more than 1 tooth.
Andy has found when ever the car starts to run rough, the belt has jumped a tooth, when he puts it back the car runs fine until it slips again, I agree its highly unusual especially as he has replaced all the belt tensioners idlers etc, the only part which has not been replaced is the water pump, its worth checking, this than looking elsewhere as he narrowed it down to the belt slipping
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:40   #186
lou

hi guys, right the problem might be this, and this advice has come from a guy that just does cambelts on car, when fitting a cambelt the car needs to be cold, also he said that when you fit the belt it needs fitting in order, ie volvo 850 crank to idler then to inlet sprocket over to exhaust sprocket down over water pulley and then onto the idle tenstioner. ive fitted it differnt to that and found that i was slack from the crank upto the idle pulley, once ive pulled the pin on the plunger it tenstions the left hand side of the belt etc, after this i turned the crank by hand and then after you start to turn it the idle tenstioner moves to the right on the turn over which then tightens that side of the belt, but i noted on doing this it puts the crank over by one tooth, so what i did was turned the crank back by one tooth then fitted and turned and with that little bit of play in the belt it moved and put the crank spot on again, so im gunna try it again but this time put the belt on in the order the books says.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:41   #187
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
Andy has found when ever the car starts to run rough, the belt has jumped a tooth, when he puts it back the car runs fine until it slips again, I agree its highly unusual especially as he has replaced all the belt tensioners idlers etc, the only part which has not been replaced is the water pump, its worth checking, this than looking elsewhere as he narrowed it down to the belt slipping
hi ste, water pump looks new m8, the area that was damp was right hand side of the plunger tenioner.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:42   #188
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
Hi Lou without me having to read through the entire thread could you restate that your problems are?
yes m8, running on pinking -or popping and when this starts the inlet sprocket is out by one tooth. oh and sneezing, and have had unburnt fuel coming out the airbox,

Last edited by lou; Mar 11th, 2010 at 23:47.
lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:45   #189
lou

ps i tryed fitting the belt bookway but didnt have any joy so it was put on how i could get it on if that makes sence.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 23:48   #190
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
yes m8, running on pinking -or popping and when this starts the inlet sprocket is out by one tooth.
Hi Lou,does the problem only happen when the car is warmed up ?

ie leave overnight and run again and its fine for a short while ?