Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel flap unlock failure

Views : 5669

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 17:20   #1
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Fuel flap unlock failure

Have carried out a cold reset - battery disconnect for in excess of 15mins - actually nearer an hour - shorted +ve and -ve battery clamps and then reconnected battery to cure a whole range of issues on a 2001 2.4 V70 Torslander.
Success - all seems to have been righted, i.e. headlamps, heater fan, windows, etc all go to set on chosen position after initial calibration procedure.

Only one problem, cannot release fuel filler cap. Tried central locking lock/unlock on remote and unlock then manual relock/unlock using key in drivers door - still won't release. Have tried waiting 20 minutes or so and then re-attempting central locking release/relearn process as well as manual release and reset process (key operation) still no joy. All fuses are intact, all relays appear to be operational. However, on unlock, no vibration/unlock clunk felt at fuel cap so could possibly be relay problem or motor failure.

HELP!!!! Realise that there is no manual override, and that if all else fails I will have to remove boot lining etc. but as I only have about 1/4 tank left fast approaching urgent solution.

In the short term, if all else fails, I can probably force and break the fuel flap spigot, which I seem to remember is plastic, and jury rig a closed flap using magnets and in due course a locking fuel cap.

Opinions needed re. best long term solution - in the back of mind is the likelihood that if it faults once, then it will probably do it again.

My apologies for duplicating the post.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 22nd, 2012 at 17:25.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 17:35   #2
chiptivo
Premier Member

Not easy to force, you are more likely to break the hinge..

I remember seeing a remote central locking reset procedure.. Involved locking and unlocking 15 times or something... This may fix your problem..
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 17:45   #3
chiptivo
Premier Member

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=26836

Near the bottom of this thread we have three good PDF's showing the locking system of your car..

It may help.. You don't have to be a member or sign up to download the PDF's.

The emergency release is along the rear quarter panel, inside of the door to access the tail light lamps. Look for a metal loop and pull it towards the back of the car.

Last edited by chiptivo; Jan 22nd, 2012 at 17:51.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 17:50   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Remove boot lining and the locking motor. There is only one bolt revealed once the load cover is removed. The rest just pulls off.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 17:51   #5
Unreal master tech

Amm pretty sure if you remove the panel in the boot you can gain access to the lock and should be able to pull the actuator lever back once you have the flap will open then if you need to replace it you simply undo the torx screws and the lock unit will come out from the inside
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal master tech For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 18:24   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Thanks

I used the Haynes book of unspeakable untruths and the drivers handbook earlier (cough - usefulness and ashtrays on motorbikes come to mind) and all the fuses are ok - have also given the relays, that I can find, a gentle tap with a mechanics friend.

There is no manual release on this model, so I'm going to try chiptivo's 15 times unlock reset method tonight - best option in the dark.
If that doesn't work, will try going for boot lining removal and lock extraction as suggested by Chris_Rogers & unreal_master_tech tomorrow when I can see what I'm doing.
I will report back progress.

Alan

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 18:55   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Still flapping about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Not easy to force, you are more likely to break the hinge..

I remember seeing a remote central locking reset procedure.. Involved locking and unlocking 15 times or something... This may fix your problem..
Oh, would that it had worked - unfortunately the remote lock/unlock procedure didn't work. (but the dog thinks she's going for a walk as the amber flashes usually mean somebody is looking for her lead!)
So it looks like I'll have to remove the boot lining tomorrow morning, thanks again for the advice.
Will post follow ups & solution tomorrow as I get the flap open to refuel; later in the week I'll photograph replacement/renewal process for future reference. I would video the process, but the laughing/smiling nosey golden retriever gets a bit wearing!
Thanks again
Alan

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 19:01   #8
Unreal master tech

Alright mate when you can see what your doing and the dog is not going for walks etc you will be able to reach in and feel the lock you will feel the rod and it should have a tab you can pull it is hard to see but presuming you are going to replace it why not order the part and look at it to see what you need to do as it almost certainly needs a new lock?!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 20:05   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Point taken

Thanks Unreal_tech,
Dinner sorted, whining dog sorted, Volvo b******d.
Take your point, will probably order the necessary bits from Rufe tomorrow morning - but still wonder whether the best solution may be to remove the non-functional central locking lock of the fuel flap and go for a low tech. solution i.e a manual tank locking cap and simple magnet to hold the flap down.
Whilst it may not be the elegant solution, it may be the most long lasting and possibly reliable solution, and almost certainly the long term cheaper option.
"The simplest solution is often the best"..............

Cheers
Alan

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 22nd, 2012 at 20:07. Reason: error
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 20:13   #10
Unreal master tech

Sounds like a plan in which case just use brute force then and pull the flap till the rod breaks?! I would say not to worry about having the flap secured but at the price of fuel these days it wont be long till fuel theft will be as big as scrap metal theft?!

Tags
fuel flap door, not unlocking, v70