Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Underside/tunnel heatshields

Views : 571

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 21:59   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default Underside/tunnel heatshields

Hi team!

I've been conscious of a rattling from under the car which has been getting steadily worse over the past 2-3 weeks. I finally got chance to have a look in a gap in the rain(!) yesterday, and discovered that one of the alloy heatshields which runs along the transmission / exhaust tunnel has sheared at one of the mounting points.

They were both removed and reinstalled relatively recently (within 15k miles). Any chance I did something wrong whilst reinstalling them? If so, what?!

Any one got any ideas?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 22:41   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

My daughter has a 2011 XC70 and, as yet, no heat shield problem bit I’m expecting them to fall off. I have a 1992 940, it’s the first car that I have owned which has/had heat shields. None of my previous non Volvo cars had them. The heat shields on my 940 have fallen off frequently. Usually caused by the alloy of the heat shield corroding away around the fixing. I was able to remedy some of these by using some large washers but sometimes the actual fixings through the floor pan had corroded away. I gave up eventually. If they were not easily re-secured I just left them off.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 15:21   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Do the heat shields actually contribute anything worth the bother of replacing them?
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 15:49   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Do the heat shields actually contribute anything worth the bother of replacing them?
volvo put them there for a reason of course , they get up to 600C when regenerating !
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 19:45   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Well I hope that the shields and fixings on the XC70 are better designed/engineered than the ones meant to be on my 940 as they seemed to have been stuck on as an afterthought. Small steel screws through the floor pan and through a thin sheet of aluminium. Electrolytic corrosion. Very non Volvo.

Last edited by Ian21401; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 19:47. Reason: Add text.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 21:18   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Well I hope that the shields and fixings on the XC70 are better designed/engineered than the ones meant to be on my 940 as they seemed to have been stuck on as an afterthought. Small steel screws through the floor pan and through a thin sheet of aluminium. Electrolytic corrosion. Very non Volvo.
Very secure no problem at all .
I remember a recall for the 940 front pipe heat shield cracking and dropping down in the 1990's..
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 22:37   #7
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Very secure no problem at all .
I remember a recall for the 940 front pipe heat shield cracking and dropping down in the 1990's..
A common problem on all cars in the UK where such heatshields are fitted; aluminium heat shield, steel studs and nuts, salt, ===> corrosion of the aluminium. Salt is not used on the roads in Sweden in the winter.

I repaired the mounting holes of the heatshields on my Mondeo ST220 using adhesive backed aluminium on each side of the heatshield, with insulating tape under the nuts; they never corroded again.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 00:26   #8
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Thanks for your replies. These are rather less solid than the old 940 ones, so if you don't like those...!

No corrosion here (unlike the various Ford-spec suspension arms...!), just sheared off. I guess I must have installed it slightly in tension, but it's a bit odd...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 09:35   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
A common problem on all cars in the UK where such heatshields are fitted; aluminium heat shield, steel studs and nuts, salt, ===> corrosion of the aluminium. Salt is not used on the roads in Sweden in the winter.

I repaired the mounting holes of the heatshields on my Mondeo ST220 using adhesive backed aluminium on each side of the heatshield, with insulating tape under the nuts; they never corroded again.
volvo have been using plastic nuts for the last 20+ years no problems at all , in fact the shield material may well be stainless steel .
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 21:12   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

Well the fixings on my 27 years old 940 were/are definitely steel and the shields appear to be thin sheets of aluminium.
Would stainless steel corrode away around the fixings?