Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding Brake Proportioning Valve to 1963 P1800

Views : 857

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2023, 01:56   #1
mysticseer
Finally got my P1800

Default Adding Brake Proportioning Valve to 1963 P1800

Hello all & Greetings!!
Hoping anyone can assist me, I have a 1963 P1800 with single brake system, discs front drums back, and an currently renewing the brake lines. The car is not fitted with a proportioning valve and I am thinking of adding one. A few questions, has anyone done this, where is the best place to mount the valve, and how do I go about adjusting the new valve once installed.

Any comments or suggestions most appreciated.
mysticseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 02:38   #2
grumpydad

Hi
I have to ask why ? is the balance not right
hit brakes hard down buy the nose pull up in a strate line
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 03:17   #3
mysticseer
Finally got my P1800

Hi Grumpydad,
I was having issues with excessive brake pedal travel, and since I am changing the lines I thought this may fix the problem.

If the car does not pull up in a straight line does the valve need backing off?
mysticseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 08:57   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

MS;

"excessive brake pedal travel" is a symptom of rear shoes needing adjustment...see: https://www.sw-em.com/Manual_Rear_Dr...ster_Notes.htm

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 15:49   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

As noted, excessive brake pedal travel is not a problem that a proportioning valve is going to fix. In addition to the rear shoe adjustment problem noted by Ron, you should also make sure that the master cylinder does not have leakage issues and that you do not have air in the hydraulic system.

You would typically add a proportioning valve to alter the brake balance. If you are getting premature lock up of the back brakes a proportioning valve may help. I assume that you are not talking about fitting one of the brake pressure control devices that Volvo used because they are set up for the split circuit system which would have a single rear disc on each valve so would have an incorrect balance for what you want. They also appear to be on permanent back order.

Most modern brake balance vales appear to be dual circuit; but, if you search around you can find single circuit valves. You want one which allows you to adjust the pressure to the rear brakes. Not all of them allow this - some come pre set with a presumptive balance for a disc front, drum rear set up. This Wilwood unit is single circuit and appears adjustable; but, it does not appear to have any locking provision for the adjustment knob which would be a non starter for me. Shop around and you can find lots to pick from

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-8419

On the installations that I am familiar with the valve is usually mounted in the engine compartment directly in the line to the rear brakes. This allows for moderately easy access to make balance adjustments. 'Real Racers' will mount the valve inside the vehicle at a point that is easily accessible so they can make adjustments on the go. Any location that is in-line with the brake line going to the rear brakes will be equally functional.

Adjustment of the valve will depend on what you want. You are pretty much going to have to find a section of road and repeatedly jam the brakes on to test for lock up and then adjust appropriately. Make sure that the rest of the brake system is in good condition and that the tires are fresh before you test. Do the set up with old slippery tires and the balance will change when you install sticky new tires. It will also change if you change to different brake pads or shoes with a different friction profile.

If the car exabits severe pulling to one side under heavy braking, you may have a wheel alignment problem or more likely a problem with one of the front brakes which could be a caliper problem or pads (got careless and got grease on a pad?). A proportioning valve will most definitely not fix a problem with the car pulling to the side under heavy braking. Time to inspect the front brakes.

Personally, unless this is a competition car I would not do this. Make sure the tires are good and the brake system is fresh and drive prudently (this is not a modern car with fat tires and ABS). Done incorrectly you could really screw up your brake system.

Last edited by 142 Guy; May 8th, 2023 at 15:57.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 15:49   #6
mike gilbert
Master Member

As Ron said, excessive pedal travel is not a symptom that will be eliminated by adding a bias valve. But if you want to fit one, you can buy an original item that bolts to the inside face of the nearside longitudinal chassis leg just under the bulkhead. In this photograph - of my car which does not have one fitted- you can see one of the two threaded mounting holes, the other is masked by the fuel pipe.

bias valve.jpg

Last edited by mike gilbert; May 8th, 2023 at 16:05.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 22:04   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

When they added the valve to the Amazon, and I assume the 1800 too, they changed the bore size of the rear brake cylinders. You would have to make that change if you fit a Volvo valve. As said, adjustment and a good bleed would likely solve your problem at little or no cost.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2023, 23:48   #8
grumpydad

Hi
I think the easy way to do this is easy take the rear drums off cheeck the wheel cylinders for leaks replace the shoes if nessery

go to the front remove the calipers and get them serviced ask google this
stainless steel wheel cylinder inserts australia
ring a few and get some prices
you might as well get the master relined as well

for recomadtion of any of the compneys you speek to go to
https://ozvolvo.org/
all easy and the only safe way
there other ways but this is the easy root
only a weekend work
ask the OZ guys for a green book its the volvo workshop book
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags