Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Pads & Discs fitting cost

Views : 3458

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 23:00   #31
v50inred

On the subject of Volvo wheel braces mine broke when I was rotating my wheels last year!

The actual part that goes on the nut split!

It had never been used from new.

I just leave my extendable with the correct socket that I got in Halfords years ago.

Worth it's weight in good that is. Much easier to change a wheel with decent leverage.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 01:17   #32
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
I think you need to do some more research into Pagid.
Yes, you are right. Just been speaking today to some Pagid owners actually (how coicidental is that).

Apparently the the Pagid RS-29 Yellow pads are awesome and work fantastic all the way from cold. But for use as pads on an everyday road car for most people is a little overkill, well it is when you take into consideration the cost of them. Although I suppose if your driving style dictates and money allows -then why not?

I'm always happy to be proven wrong as it is all a matter of education.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:14   #33
v50inred

It's not about being right or wrong mate, I just want to make sure forum members can get top spec parts for less money.

Brakes are not something to economise on, but I used to run a garge back in the 90's when Euro and GSF got started and they had two specs for brakes OEM and pattern.

The quality was very different, but at £18 for front pads for the S Class of the time you can't expect miracles.

Jurid have come a long way since then aswell as they weren't considered good back then, they were firmly in the cheapie arena.

The other advantage V50, S40 etc owners have is the fact our cars are based on the Focus, I don't think we would have as much parts choice away from the main dealer network if it wasn't for this fact.

The main reason my dad sold is D plate 1.4 340 back in '89 was spares and servicing prices, back then it was Volvo or nothing pretty much.

Put Pagid discs, pads and rear shoes on the wife's Clio, super sharp from day one.

Now 30k on them and the pads are not even half worn, there is not even half a millimetre of wear ridge on the disc either, and the Clio dci is a heavy motor for its size.

Still catches me out how strong the brakes are on that car, though Renaults always seem to have strong brakes over the last decade.

These were just the standard OEM spec pads and discs. Half the price of Renault prices.

Last edited by v50inred; Feb 24th, 2013 at 08:18.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:45   #34
v50inred

Prior to a trip to Southampton yesterday I had a front wheel balanced as the weight had come off.

Took the opportunity to have check of the pads.

The front are on less than 4mm so are due for replacement.

Will be putting on Pagid discs and pads.

Will let the forum know how they compare to the Volvo fitted items current to in place both visually and in braking performance.

Rears still have 5/6 mm roughly.

The system At the rear is almost identical to the one on my old mk3 Mondeo!

Tags
vaiotag