Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To sell or break for parts?

Views : 524

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 11:12   #1
phil_r

Default To sell or break for parts?

I have just bought my self a very nice 02 plate V40 diesel which is great and will get well over 60mpg when i drive carefully on a long journey!

The problem is my old car, its a 2000 1.8S (volvo engine) but is a very nice spec and I have spent quite some money on it in the two years I have been driving it.

Things that are wrong,
VVT pulley needs sorting, cam belt is due fairly soon anyway
two broken rear springs, I bought a new spring for the first that broke but the bolt would not shift so left it as it passed the MOT
Think it needs a right hand CV joint doing, bit of knocking when cornering sharply
Gear shift is difficult with 1st and reverse, bushes probably need doing for the 3rd time....
Top right engine mount, could do with being replaced.
normal wear for 175,000 miles and all the normal wear

Good points,
Interior in very good nic,
cruise control, air con gassed last summer, heated seats.....
mot runs out in october i think
currently taxed
got two sets of matching alloys, one set with lots of tread left
I've changed the oil every 6-8k with out fail
PCV cleaned last year
has allways started
Clutch done at 110k in Sept 2008

I would use it till october as i use it for work and most days its driving up and down roads that are still been built but I recon I'm saving £350 of fuel my running my new car in that period with the fuel rates I get at work! I have clocked just over 65k in two years so do quite a lot of miles

So what to do? Don't think I will get much on ebay, looks like £400 is as much as I could see if I was very lucky. How much could I expect if i broke it myself?

Cheers
Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote