Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Tailgate Handle repair - Guide

Views : 102196

Replies : 142

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 20:21   #81
tad wise

can the rear panel trim be removed with the tailgate closed and locked
tad wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 20:25   #82
tad wise

exactly this problem, did you find a solution?
tad wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 16:17   #83
ryanxc90

Got the handle out etc (really good guide) however the bar is so rusted that it refuses to come out.

Does it only come out one way?
What method did you use to remove the bar?

After using some much WD40 trying to free it up it has started working again!! But still want to swap it out, any help really appreciated.
ryanxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 03:40   #84
turbo1

Default Prising cable from the lock

Thank you, David for such a great write-up! really clarifies a lot of things. I stumbed however on prising the cable from the lock to the tailgate handle out from its clip - this is tricky indeed I would much appreciate if you could provide some guidance and tips what would be the best way to do it without breaking anything.

Much appreciate your feedback!
Genna.
turbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 03:05   #85
barbershores

Default Cheap and quick way to fix XC90 latch problem

Hi, I just bought a 2007 XC90 for my daughter. Has 158,000 miles. Looks and drives like a new vehicle. Apparently, it has been garaged and well maintained. $6,815 out the door. We found a few minor issues with it so far. One is the center console pops out every time you hit it with your elbow. Will look into that later. Anybody with any ideas?

The other problem is the rusted rod on the rear door latch. I lubed by spraying ends with penetrating oil and manipulated it over and over until the action didn't get any better. I went through this description, that I like very much, but I don't have a rod right now, and wanted to fix it right away. What I ended up doing is going to the local hardware store and picked out a spring to place, from the outside, between the latch bezel and the latch handle. I will try to add a picture. The spring I chose was .820 dia, .083 wire diameter, about 4 winds to an inch. I felt all of them at the hardware store for the right stiffness. When I got this one home I found it had about 4 lbs of force when compressed about 50%. The end of the bezel, and the end of the handle have a bit of a gradual lip to them. So, I just cut the spring to about 1 1/2" long, compressed it with my hand, and squeezed it in the center of the space. Works perfect. If I have any problems I have enough spring left to do this job once more. cost $1.40 and a trip down the street.

Kinda mickey mouse I know, but it made my daughter happy immediately.

Now for the center console.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (113.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (117.3 KB, 89 views)
barbershores is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barbershores For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 12:20   #86
sreviz
Master Member

For the center console,
I used a hot air gun (ebay 10 pounds) and widened the small rectangular plastic bit, on one side towards the cup holder.
So when the cup holder close , it has a firm grip and wont open.
In the picture, the arrowed part has be slightly widened towards the front of the car.

Hope it helps!

Saravan.
Attached Images
File Type: png cup holder.png (133.3 KB, 75 views)
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 19:24   #87
barbershores

Oops. typo. That wire diameter on that spring was .063" not .083"
barbershores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 20:18   #88
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Not sure what part you guys mean by the centre console. The flap over the cup holders is push to release. (Forward of the red arrow) The part behind the red arrow is removable by pulling backwards so the centre rear seat can be moved right forward to communicate with a child easier.
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 15:51   #89
kerazee

Thanks very much for the guide, finally got round to sorting out mine today, the only thing I did differently was I used a 316 stainless rod and used the replacement rod as a drift then just cut it carefully to size whilst in place.
kerazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 00:17   #90
chris810

Just done this repair following the guide and it was quite straightforward, however both my bulb holders were broken and would not lock ito place so that i could not replace the numberplate lights and keep them lit, just got a new loom and holders from swansea £10.00 which was cheaper than quoted from a breakers, so all good now and cheap enough

A cheap repair had to happen one day

Tags
handle, stainless, sticking, tailgate, xc90