Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are 460's really getting that rare?

Views : 11973

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 06:46   #21
triumphtoledo

FANTASTIC! Do send some more pics, when it's light.

I'm chuffed that it has found a caring home; your car was registered in the same month that the 460 was launched in the UK as well, making it pretty important historically.

R
triumphtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 18:38   #22
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphtoledo View Post
FANTASTIC! Do send some more pics, when it's light.

I'm chuffed that it has found a caring home; your car was registered in the same month that the 460 was launched in the UK as well, making it pretty important historically.

R
Whoa. I didn't know that.

The mad thing is, it's a central London car as denoted by its YO suffix registration plate. My Amazon came from the same area - its plate is KYO 5D. So I have a matching set of central London Volvos.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 08:43   #23
triumphtoledo

Again, I'm pleased that it has got a decent owner, rather than somebody who would rip the engine out for a Renault 5 or use it as a cheap banger.

I am sorely tempted to sell my SAAB 96 V4 to make room for the early 440 Turbo for breaking on eBay, to keep my 440 GLT Injection company. That is, if the scrap dealer realises that its scrap value is actually closer to £175 than £350!!

The 460 Turbo was an expensive beast and cost more than a Merc 190! According to my 5th April 1990 price list, the basic price was £15,995 against £13,395 for a GLE Injection, versus £11,295 for a basic GL carb.

If you change the wheels, don't junk the original alloys, as they were unique to the Turbo/CD Turbo 460s up until around 1993.

R
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 13:19   #24
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:

If you change the wheels, don't junk the original alloys, as they were unique to the Turbo/CD Turbo 460s up until around 1993.

R
The wheels wouldn't be going anywhere if I changed them. I quite like their design and haven't seen another set. I'm just acutely aware that there's not a great deal of decent tyres available in 185\60\14 any more. I'd love a set of the snowflake 480 GT 15"s that the black car on the VOC stand last year had, or a set of Ronal Turbos.

Failing that the Lavendel Grey five spokes I had on my ES would fit the bill nicely, provided I can buy them back. They run 195\50\15s which is smack bang in the heartland of the £55 quality tyre. T1-R Proxies, Yokohama Paradas, even GSD-3 F1 Goodyears if I stretched myself.

Mechanically the only the change I'd make would be a set of Koni Sports and some OEM springs \ bushes, becuase they're very tired and creak like a barn door in a gale.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 15:55   #25
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Some photos for people's delectation. I finally got a spare moment with which to take some shots.

Old Oct 31st, 2011, 16:05   #26
triumphtoledo

Wow, that takes me back. They still look pretty classy, in my opinion. I wish I had reacted faster to that eBay advert now!!

Should you decide to part with her, give me first refusal

R
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 00:09   #27
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Wow, that takes me back. They still look pretty classy, in my opinion. I wish I had reacted faster to that eBay advert now!!

Should you decide to part with her, give me first refusal

R
The photos flatter it a bit to be honest, but she's pretty good considering her age.

Should I ever want to let it go, I'll give you a shout - but if I sort her problems out, she won't be cheap. Apologies
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 01:37   #28
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I find it hard to love the 400 series (well, the 440/460, at least), I'll be honest...not least because they feel to represent Volvo at its least popular. Although undoubtedly a "better" car, they were nothing like as popular as the 300s they replaced. However, I do have fond memories of a brochure my Dad picked up when they were brand new (so mk1s aplenty...and I do love the look of a mk1 GLT/Turbo), and I'd still recommend a late 1.9TD as being a bangernomics weapon of choice (that and a Cavalier TD).

The main reason I'm popping a post in here, though, is to say that I'm greatly heartened that a few of you guys are taking an interest. Unlike the 300 series which have a significant "yoof" following (from those of us who remember our parents having them...then perhaps we had them as cheap first cars...and realised they're not that bad!), the unpopular 440 and 460 are in danger of sinking without trace...and nothing deserves that, so good on you guys!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 08:42   #29
triumphtoledo

Hi James,
I understand your sentiments fully.

One of the 440/460’s problems is that they are not quite old enough yet; give them another 10 years and people will be hankering for the ‘pure’ feeling of a light FWD car. They are also overshadowed by the quirky 480, which is understandable as any sporting model tends to overshadow the more mundane ‘everyday’ models.

Yet, I have found the 400 to have a very good chassis, although the suspension is a bit too soft.

I do appreciate the 300 series. My mother had an S reg 343 DL auto for a few years and I inherited a 1987 340 GL auto (with power steering) that I drove at uni around 10 years ago. Sadly, although the auto had its plus points, it was not a very involving car to drive and was hatefully uneconomical on petrol for a 1.4, despite having only 21,000 miles on it.

I later sold the car to a young girl, who I believed ran it into the ground. Yet, I remained faithful and almost bought a 360GLT at one point and just missed out on an elderly friend’s V reg yellow 343 manual, which found a good home later with a member of the 300 Mania Forum.

Sadly, I think that one of the reasons that the 300-series has had a resurgence is because they are cheap and RWD, rather than for any particular merit. Like you, I am glad that they are now entering the hallowed arena of ‘classics’ and some examples are now being treasured and escaping the drifting (such as immature ‘sport’) community’s grasp.

Despite being a faster and better handling car (although I am not sure that the 400 was better built), I like the 400-series because they are still very cheap. Even the black 460 Turbo above was advertised for way less than £500.00 and I paid £650 (which was still fair) for a mint 18,000-mile full VSH GLT earlier in the year – the owner had advertised it for months, no one was interested and his 25 year-old daughter was ‘embarrassed’ to be seen in it.

Two 460 Turbo autos were advertised on Auto Trader for less than £500.00 last year, so a few are still knocking about. Despite me being a fan of them, I am well aware of what they are worth, which is not a lot. Yet, if I pay ‘top dollar’ (i.e. three sticks of used chewing gum and a fiver) for a 400, I expect a top car.
Fortunately, I am capable of bodywork repairs and I have a very good spray shop to hand, so I am not bothered about having to renovate a bit of panel work.

The Mk1 appeals to me more, because they are very much a 1980’s car (including the cheap plastics and instant-rattle dash and creaking suspension). I am not so keen on the later Mk2s which survive in greater numbers but they still make a great cheap and confortable ‘retro’ means of conveyance.

Still, I have now sold my SAAB 96 V4 and I have an empty space in my drive for another ‘80s Volvo. I’m in no rush. The 440 has been packed away for the next few months, to escape the worse of the winter, so I’ll see what comes up. Who knows, I may even look at a 480…
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 19:00   #30
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Some interesting reactions to this thread. A couple of things strike me immediately - first of all, unless my GCSE Intermediate Maths has failed me completely, £425 isn't that far off £500. The car is actually a very dark blue as opposed to black - although all the photos taken to date suggest otherwise.

I have drifted in the past, both in a friend's BMW 325i and in my rough old Isuzu Piazza Turbo. Whether you can class it as a sport can be debated into the small hours. Until 300 series prices rise, they will always be attractive to the less moneyed drifters

I agree that the 400 series cars are in no man's land as regards to their value and status within the classic car movement. The 480 will be the first to leave purgatory because of its unusual appearance and the ones left that haven't been broken for their engines will be the cherished low mileage examples. That said, their time has not yet come. Where this leaves the 440 and 460 is anyone's guess. I was at an impressionable age when they were new, and this creates interesting objects of aspiration when money and time allow.

I owned an Amazon when I was 22. I still own it now 5 years later. It will always be my priority and datum point for all things Volvo. No 121, no 400 series interest. Owners have to mature as well as the cars themselves.

I'll be getting my hands on another Piazza Turbo in the new year. It won't see a lot of slide action, although I do like to keep my eye in. Drifting is chronically misunderstood by people outside of its inner circle, and having seen a beautiful 1987 pre Lotus destroyed by Driftworks, I won't let mine succumb to the same fate. By the same token, my 460's engine won't end up under the bonnet of a 5 GT Turbo, at least not while I have the money to keep it on the road.

After watching numerous 400 series cars be bought and sold, including my own ES, I too have a fair idea of value. If I do part company with it, I'll have to take the aforementioned cost \ benefit \ value ratio into account. I'm having my fun with it first though. It won't take that much to make it mint, although impressing strangers at car shows isn't high on my list of priorities, it has to be said.

Last edited by jakobandhismakarov; Nov 1st, 2011 at 19:05. Reason: Leaking brain.
jakobandhismakarov is offline   Reply With Quote