Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Misfire on 1992 440 GLi 1.8 (B18U) engine

Views : 1650

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2003, 20:08   #1
mikeholroyd

Default Misfire on 1992 440 GLi 1.8 (B18U) engine

Please help. My 92 1.8i 440 is suffering from a persistant misfire at 2000-2500 rpm, under gentle acceleration, or holding steady revs. It disappears when revving or accelerating hard. I have changed plugs, leads, distributor cap and coil, and all the rubber hoses at the back of the injector unit have been renewed. The injection unit has been taken off the manifold, and the gasket here has been renewed. Despite the misfire, the car has just flown through the MOT emissions test with no problems at all. The engine has covered 129000 miles. Any suggestions, short of putting car into main Volvo agent and/or nearest canal!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 22:31   #2
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: Misfire on 1992 440 GLi 1.8 (B18U) engine

Hi Mike...
Im not going to lie-im no mechanical genius and i don`t have the answer, but my friend had a similar problem. He has a (dare i say it!)N plate Ford (boo!) Fiesta Si, and had the same problem as you, but he also lost a bit of power too. After some careful consideration and fiddling, cut fingers etc etc, he took it to a garage and they told him he needed a new engine management system. He got one. Problem solved. May not be the same problem/outcome as yours, but def. something you may have to consider-and he wasn`t charged much either. Sorry its not like mega helpful advice-just thought i`d share the experience...! Hope it all goes well.

Dan.
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 21:02   #3
mikeholroyd

Hi Dan
Hadn't thought of that one. Have located new ECU from scrappers for £20, returnable if problem not solved, so will try that out on next day off (sometime next week). Just for interest's sake, also priced ECU at Volvo main agent. Quote -- £614 + vat. for the ECU, and 2 hours labour at £61 + vat for fitting. I only paid £600 for the car! And they were a bit put out when I told them no!
Anyway, will give the ECU a go -- there's not a lot else it can be. Thanks for your time, will post results when the job's been done. thanks again
Mike
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 21:58   #4
mikeholroyd

Just tried a different ECU from the scrappers. Seems to have cured the problem. Despite Volvo wanting over £600 + 2 hours labour to fit, it cost me £20 cash, plus about 15 minutes to do the job. Most time consuming bit was replacing the trim after I had finished.
Anyway, thanks Dan for the thought. Much appreciated.
Mike.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 21:34   #5
mikeholroyd

Found out what the REAL problem was. When I got the car, the factory sunroof panel rubber seal was corroded, and the roof was leaking. At the time, I just spent £15 from a salvage to replace the sunroof panel, and forgot the problem ever existed. HOWEVER --- Water must have been running down into the front pillars -- on taking the old ECU to bits, there was evidence of water damage to the circuit board inside. Worth noting if you have a persistant problem that nothing else cures. Who would have thought that a leaking sunroof could cause rough running????