Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you fit electric seats into non electric car?

Views : 3681

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2014, 20:11   #1
500tie

Default Can you fit electric seats into non electric car?

As per the title really my 1997 V70 has the poverty spec cloth manual seats that are seriously falling apart. I really want to fit a leather interior but I see some for sale that are electrically adjusted and I'm wondering how hard is it to wire up the car to work the electric seats. Is it also possible to add heated seats easily or is that going to be a huge nightmare? Thanks in advance for any help you can give

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE
500tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 21:04   #2
krussel
Premier Member

I guess electric seats could be a retro fit with proper relays and fuses etc. However the ones fitted in the C70 were so slow that they were often opted against for manual.

If you want heated seats then a kit can be cheaply bought from ebay and fitting video's are on you tube. You just need to slip them under the seat material.
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 21:49   #3
Adman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussel View Post
I guess electric seats could be a retro fit with proper relays and fuses etc. However the ones fitted in the C70 were so slow that they were often opted against for manual.

If you want heated seats then a kit can be cheaply bought from ebay and fitting video's are on you tube. You just need to slip them under the seat material.
I the C70 I really appreciate the heated seats, I also have a 1971 Triumph TR6 & when I fitted Mazda MX5 seats re-upholstered in leather I got a seat heater kit which has five different heat settings off ebay & they are brilliant. I drove both the cars through the winter roof down in both where possible & the heated seats are a real asset.

Cheers

Mike
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 07:39   #4
500tie

Probably best for me to replace my interior with a manual set then and if I want the seat heaters I'll add an aftermarket kit. I was hoping someone would say the cars were pre wired for it and I'd just have to dig the wiring out not to worry thanks for the replies though

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 09:02   #5
B00TS

I don't have any definitive knowledge on this but mine has electric seats but no heaters. Looking behind the coin tray, the plugs for the heated seat switches are there though.

I'm intending to find some Volvo heating elements and stick them in the front seats. I'll be having a look for some unused plugs at the seat end before I start though.

You may be unlucky in that for certain specs they used a different set of looms but I would have a good look for the unused plugs hiding behind carpet/cover panels. I think it's quite likely the wiring is there...

Boots.

1997 V70 2.5TDI 290k - Sent on to pastures new!
B00TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 11:16   #6
AndyPants
VOC Member

I don't know if they are pre-wired or not, but in terms of the electric seats being slow and a problem in the C70 they are only really a minor inconvience and even then only when loading people into the back of it. I can't really see the speed of the electric seats being an issue in a S70 or V70 as they have four doors

The electric seats in my C70 always amused me...

My 850 has manual half leather heated seats, but as the previous owner mentioned that when Volvo did a recall on the heated seats, they were never as effective afterwards They get warm, but no where near as warm as they did as in my old C70. Although to be honest I've never seen much need to have heated cloth or part-leather seats. Nice if your back aches though!
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 11:44   #7
kevvydude
Premier Member

you can ,the heated seats are just plug and play, the electric movement just needs wire run to the seats, there,s a plug in the drivers footwell, and you need the 2 fuses that go in the fuse box under the bonnet, (drivers side fuse box) did it on mine, make sure you dis connect the battery before you do anything tho, did it on my v70 phase 1 , no probs

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 12:31   #8
500tie

Kevvydude thanks for that mate I'll buy the best set that come up then, it certainly doesn't sound too difficult. I don't mind if they are slow moving as andypants said its got 4 doors and the seats rarely move. Boots I'll pull the centre console out at some point and see if the wiring is all there thanks for that guys

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 18:21   #9
mikealder
VOC Member

Have read through This Thread as it identifies the difference in phase one x70 seats and what I had to do to get the electrically adjustable seats working (adding a couple of self resetting circuit breakers in to a fuse box) the car was pre-wired for the seats.
Mine is a 2000 model I am not to sure the 1997 models had the wiring pre-installed for the passenger side seat, if it doesn't simply duplicate the wiring by paralleling off the supply to the drivers seat, you won't overload the supply as you won't adjust both seats simultaneously.

Stick to pre 1999 seats though as the 99 models had electrically fired SIPS bags which your car won't be wired for and the seatbelt fastened switches in the buckle are different, best to avoid a load of additional unnecessary work - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 18:26   #10
Thanatos
VOC Member

1998 cars weren't as we had to do as mike says for the passenger side seat
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote