Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

02 V70 ERGONOMICS

Views : 1353

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 18:33   #1
Nick900

Default 02 V70 ERGONOMICS

I am now on my third Volvo having had an 850 estate, v40 and now 02 V70 D5 SE. It is perfect in every respect, apart from one. The main reasons for having a Volvo apart from safety is comfort. This is where the problem lies. In the previous 2 cars the seats were cloth. In the V70 no matter how I try to alter the seat I cannot get comfy. I continually have to keep pushing my posterior backwards into the seat base. Every time I brake I feel my bottom moving forward. The only way I am able to maintain a comfortable position is to keep my lower back continually tensed or brace against the clutch footrest in order to stop moving forward. I have tried adjusting the recliner and then feel too far away the lumber support which on its lowest makes me feel as though my shoulders are being forced forwards and maximum seems to exagerate sliding forwards. I can get what I feel is the perfect position but once on the move it feels terrible regardless of all the seat adjustments including the base seat angle. I really like this car and the mark. Unless someone has another idea other than changing the seats, it is that bad for me that, I will have to sell the car. I know I could buy an 'S' Spec without the leather seats but I wanted the other features of the 'SE'. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions short of changing the interior or selling the car.

Thanks

Nick
Nick900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 21:19   #2
SG

Default RE: 02 V70 ERGONOMICS

Don't forget that the steering wheel is adjustable for reach and rake. I usually adjust the wheel to suit the seat rather than the other way around.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 22:05   #3
Nick900

Thanks but from having an 850 which did that one of the factors in changing the V40 was that the steering wheel is adjustable for rake and reach.

Nick
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:34   #4
sarge
Master Member

To some extent I can empathise with your problem, except it was with my V40 that I experienced the difficulty. For shortish journeys it was okay, but for long distances I didn't find it any more comfortable than the company Astras. In my previous 850, and now in the V70, I sit in and feel immediately at home, mile after mile, - the V40 couldn't quite match that. I must have spent hours trying all different combinations of seat and steering wheel adjustment. In the end, my inability to get really comfortable in it was a factor in me changing it.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:31   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Bit confused here, are you saying that you slip on leather, as you mention that the previous cars had cloth seats? Is this the only problem, as it is easily resolved?

Cheers
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:39   #6
Rhod_TT

Nick,

You can have the cloth seats out of my 850 Est if I can have the leather ones out of your V70. :)

But the seat base should be adjustable at both the front and rear so you should be able to find the angle you feel comfortable with. Alternatively, get some of that non-slip underlay for a rug and drive with that just to see if it really is the leather-slip that causing the problems.

Rhod
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 16:27   #7
sholtby
Premier Member

Just what I was thinking Rhod. ie the seat base should be adjustable so you can raise the front which will stop you sliding forwards. I have an 850 also, maybe the seats dont adjust the same in newer cars?

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 20:15   #8
Nick900

The best way that I can describe the problem is that once I have the seat in the perfect position after only minutes of driving I can feel my bottom sliding forward caused from braking. And no I do mean normal breaking. I then find myself trying to force my bottom backwards into the seat which is fine but the only way I seem able to maintain it is by keeping my lower back tensed so that I do not feel the forward sliding. I know that this forced position is probably excellent for my back but on long journeys it feels more like I have been doing gardening all day.

I am prepared to try almost any solution almost to the point of trading the seats from an 850

Thanks

Nick
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 21:14   #9
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Maybe the leather has become a bit dry (and slippery) and needs some treatment to restore the more supple and less slippery feel.

I use Connolly's Hide Food on mine, you can get it at furniture stores for leather sofas.

Worth a try?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 22:00   #10
ed

I had a similar experience when I got my 02 V70. I had a 500mile trip not long after getting the car and for the first 200 miles I was just like you and could not get comfortable. I would, however, recommend that you stick with it as when I did get lucky with the seat adjustment it proved to be every bit the legendary Volvo seat experience I had been expecting. The only thing is, I'm not quite sure what the magic adjustment was that made it work for me. Part of the problem is there are just too many variables. Does anyone have a systematic procedure for seat adjustment?

We have:
forward/back
front height
rear height
recliner
lumber support
steering angle
steering reach

Another problem I had when I first found a comfortable seating position was my view of the speedo got obstructed by the top of the steering wheel. I now have the seat on its lowest height settings to avoid this. Also I find that the forward/back position is pretty critical. It needs to be on exactly the right notch for good comfort.

Ed