Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Westfalia Detachable towbar fitting guide

Views : 46534

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2014, 20:04   #111
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Hi All, thanks for this thread which i've just read all the way through. I am just about to order a tow bar for my xc90 exec 2006, I've noticed that a lot of people had difficulty getting the bar into position, would it be possible to give the fixing lugs a couple whacks with a lump hammer just to spread them a little bit, then maybe it would slide in easier and not take the under seal off. bolting them in place would squeeze it back again.
Thanks, Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 17:57   #112
toby1479

Hi all, this is my first post.

Today I fitted the Westfalia detachable towbar to my MY2011 XC90 SE.

Thanks to this guide, it was relatively straight forward.

As some have already said, it is tricky doing it on your own, but you just need to be imaginative about how you compensate for the lack of a second person (think axle stands, trolley jack and a lump of wood lol). I Still need to trim the bumper and install electrics, but that shouldn't take too long.

I just wish that I'd been able to find a similar guide for yesterdays task, which was fitting an ABS plastic lid to my trailer. Poor instructions and barely legible photos made it tricky to say the least.

Toby
toby1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2015, 10:58   #113
Boran
VOC Member

Great thread, helped me fit my tow bar yesterday, I have a little less skin on my hand.... Found tightening the bolts up was more difficult than I thought it would be, managed one side on my own just about, but had to get the wife out to hold a spanner for the other side, need to get the electrics ordered next and fitted, finding the quote for 13 pin cheaper than 7 pin.. And our friends at FRF coming in the cheapest with delivery, thanks again to everyone who's contributed, you cannot tell the bar is fitted😄
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 18:47   #114
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Tried fitting the westfalia this afternoon but have had to abandon it as it just doesn't fit.... bloody flanges seem too wide when offered up underneath. I'm wondering if there's a manufacturing fault with it or it got damaged in transit by ups as the box was in tatters. Will ring PFJones in the am.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 19:12   #115
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Tried fitting the westfalia this afternoon but have had to abandon it as it just doesn't fit.... bloody flanges seem too wide when offered up underneath. I'm wondering if there's a manufacturing fault with it or it got damaged in transit by ups as the box was in tatters. Will ring PFJones in the am.
Hello Bob, it is an exceptionally tight and must be offered up square or it doesn't fit, an second pair of hands is very helpful. On mine I also had to remove the white rubbery under-body protection where the flanges were to meet the chassis (it was recoated/applied after fitting and re tightening.)

Hope it helps.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 21:50   #116
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Thanks Truckbus, I'll try again in the morning weather permitting. What product did you recoat with please?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 00:46   #117
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Thanks Truckbus, I'll try again in the morning weather permitting. What product did you recoat with please?
Hello Bob, I used 3M Body Shutz, its black rather than the cream/white already on, but if you use a Shutz gun you can get a similar coating effect.

I borrowed my gun and compressor from work, but most bodyshop suppliers should be able to help or suggest a DIY alternative or even aerosol version, Body Shutz is a very different product to the cans of goo from Halfords.

The 1ltr can was about a fiver'ish, and I used about 1/2 a can for a very thick coat.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 22:45   #118
WirralNick

These instructions were first written in 2010 - 6 yrs later its still a great write up, helpful and gives confidence to DIY'ers (like me) that we can tackle this!

Install of the bar took 2hrs with two of us, most of that time was spent tightening up the 6 nuts and bolts, which involves losing skin and leaving small amounts of blood in the boot.

Very satisfying job once done, this was a physical work out though!

Have used the 10mm spacers to drop the exhaust but am thinking about removing them as there seems to be just enough space.

Electrics will be installed at the weekend, once the swelling, bruising and cuts on the hands, fingers and arms has subsided.
WirralNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:00   #119
redtel35
Terry Roberts

This is such a useful post.

I fitted my Westfalia towbar yesterday and found it very straightforward and completed the job in around 2 and a half hours.

I did utilise a second pair of hands to get the towbar into position. I lifted the towbar into position whilst I got my helper to push the forward most bolts through each side to secure the front. The towbar then 'pivoted' and without the use of a second person, I used a large trolley jack to lift the towbar into position, ensuring the remaining 2 holes on each side lined up. I was then able to push the bolts through from the inside whilst the weight of the bar was held on the jack.

Electrics fitted in about 10 minutes.

A very useful post!
redtel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 10:24   #120
A16X

Just wondering......on my detachable westafalia there doesn't appear to be anywhere for the breakaway cable to connect?

Andover,Hants
A16X is offline   Reply With Quote