Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Westfalia Detachable towbar fitting guide

Views : 46531

Replies : 120

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 09:36   #51
simonkent

Default This works for a MY2011 with 13 pin electrics

Great posting. I just fitted this tow bar to a MY2011 car using these instructions.

I used the 13 pin electrics from Volvo . . it is a real squeeze to thread the plugs through the bracket for the 13-pin socket, but it can be done.

Definitely need a couple of you to wiggle the tow bar into position, but the electrics can easily be done on your own.
simonkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 19:56   #52
iwxc90

Default Towbar & Parking Sensor Wiring

Hi Folks

Hoping to fit the Westfalia tomorrow.
Have looked at their instructions plus the Volvo instructions.

Now the Volvo instructions show a modification to the bumper being made such that new holes are drilled into the parking sensor cable recess channel to move the parking sensor cable harness wire. This is to prevent damage from rubbing against rear edge of the mounting at the sides of the tow hitch.

Has anybody actually modified the parking sensor cable loom run?

Also

How easy it is to install the trailer / electronic module?
Do you really have to remove the whole of the side panels in rear load bay?

Hope someone can help?

rgds

Ian
iwxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 20:44   #53
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Hi Ian,

no need to modify the parking sensor cable.
It's been a while since I installed mine, but removing some of the panels does make access a lot easier and less blood from the knuckles...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 21:26   #54
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Ian
fitted one to my xc the other weekend, the wiring couldnt be simpler, you do get instructions but basically , you remove the battery cover, remove the rubber bung that the battery breather goes through, then feed the harness up from underneath and fit the new bung in place, after youve removed the left hand floor " triangle " then the panel adjacent to it you stick the velcro to the bottom of the panel and its mate to the underside of the trailer module . plug your harness into the module then stick it down , I didnt remove the main panel, people on the forum said you dont have to, if you slide your right hand round the back of the panel you can feel the socket the plug fits into, then push the harness up from the bottom and shove your hand back in and plug it in, you have some fuses to plug into spare ways, but mine had them already fitted , job done ! hope this helps
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 21:30   #55
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Ian
i forgot to mention I fitted the volvo fixed towbar and this has a couple of reinforcing plates that go through the rear plastic sill, because of these you have to reroute the rear parking wires , as your instructions say, but this doesnt apply to yours
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2011, 21:03   #56
iwxc90

Unhappy Two of the same brackets

Ron / Dave
Thanks for your replies.

The westfalia came today.

Unpacked, counted the bits..all there...so far so good.

Get car to state where ready to fit towbar...and...here's the big snag...both the bolt holders that go through the chasis frame are for the same side!! The parts were not individually labeled!! Guess just a case of wrong part being in wrong component bin at westfalia!

Had to reassemble car as having to drive to Volvo dealers to pick up wiring etc.

Hope nobody else has had this snag...and a word of warning to those who are thinking about ordering this part. Make sure you actually see if the bits are actually correct before starting any work on the car.
Will make pfJones and westfalia uk aware of the issue, hope they can get a part to me asap! Hope this is a one off issue!

Regarding the rear silencer box...found it much easier to spay wd40 onto mounting rubber and slide off than trying to undo the mounting bracket.

rgds
ian
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 09:47   #57
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Any thoughts on whether it is necessary to do anything about corrosion protection as some of the "underseal" has to be removed to fit the towbar.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 20:14   #58
iwxc90

Just an update:
Excellent response from pfJones. They contacted WestfaliaUK and they are shipping me a part to be with me by mid am tomorrow.
As the brackets look similar but are totally different, mistakes have occurred when the picker assembling the components has not checked the parts.
Top Tip ... if you are ordering a tow bar with a short time window between fitting and use...ask the towbar supplier to check the components prior to dispatch. Otherwise leave more time, which I didn't have.

Volvo dealer fitted supplied & fitted VolvoTrailerModule plus wiring loom plus updated software for approx £120. Great value as opposed to me having to fit a wiring loom.
They didn't take out all the interior trim as there is enough flex in the trim on the LHS of load bay to allow it be flexed outwards in order to install the fuses / connectors.

Currently I have the wiring loom temporarily on a cable tie attached to spare wheel mount. Prior to fitting towbar tomorrow,
Great tip from the Volvo mechanic...To get round issue if getting the loom which has already been fitted...through the swivel socket holder, I have made a 5mm cut in the socket holder and will just slide the loom through. All I did was take the socket holder off the towbar put in vice and used hacksaw then put it back on the towbar. Simples!

Tomorrow its the job of fitting the towbar.

This topic and associated threads have been excellent in helping me.

Last edited by iwxc90; Oct 13th, 2011 at 20:20.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 21:14   #59
Kingb4

Default Thanks

Many Thanks for the instructions. Have just followed them and succesfully fitted the tow bar. Lucky I had them, as the Westfalia kit only came with a few diagrams, no detailed instructions.....

Managed to do it single-handed (using a couple of jacks to move the bar into position. Not eacy single-handed, but do-able....

Thanks Again
Ben
Kingb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:15   #60
XCShep

Default Tow bar electrics

Hi all

Sorry if I'm labouring a point here, I'm looking to fit a westfalia detachable tow bar to my 07 xc90, I'm only ever going to put a bike rack on it, no towing.
Can anyone confirm what electric kit is needed, the guide (for a MY2010) says the 7pin cost £50 (which seems to be 03-04) but PF Jones says 04 on 7 pin wiring kit is £120ish.

I'll only ever need it for a light board has anyone used the 03-04 kit on a later model.

Any help much appreciated.
XCShep is offline   Reply With Quote