Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Central locking

Views : 1426

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:13   #1
davotoula

A few days ago I entered our xc90 (54 reg) and found the contents of the glove box spread on the passenger seat.

An envelope which had been residing in the side pocket of the door was laying on the floor.

Did I just forget to lock the car the evening before or is there a more nefarious exploit in use?

I was under the impression that the central locks and alarm kick in automatically after some time with no passengers inside.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 20:39   #2
ianu
Premier Member

Default Central locking

I may be wrong here - but my experience with this has always been if I unlock the car and don't get in (or open a door etc.) it re-locks itself in a matter of minutes. I've never known it to re-lock itself once I've either been in it or had a door open - for example if I'm washing it and it's unlocked on the driveway.
Can anyone else confirm otherwise ??

Cheers
Ian
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 21:24   #3
tj101c70

ianu, correct, the car can not lock itself (normally) unless you lock with the key or fob, If you accidentally unlock with the fob in your pocket, but do not open the doors etc, the car then with self lock !!
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 22:09   #4
VinceF

Hi All,
My 850 Estate ('97) has locked itself on two occasions.
1) I unlocked the car using remote but did not get in as I was chatting to a neighbour; a couple of minutes later the car locked itself.
2) My recollectiion is a bit hazy, but I THINK I left the key in the ignition in the off position and doors closed for a few moments whilst I collected some items and put them on the rear seat, closing the door. I returned to the car again a few minutes later and as I approached it locked itself.
I now believe this is the security software working as designed.
Regarding possibility of car unlocking itself; unlikely. It is easy to forget to lock the car if you rely on the remote all the time.

Vince.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:47   #5
square-i's

The XC90 will re-lock itself after a short time should you use the remote to unlock the car but do not open any doors. Once a door is opened, the car will not automatically re-lock.

I do not think that it is possible, under normal use, to lock your car keys inside the XC90 - however, the 'all doors lock' button (on the driver's side panel under the window controls) will work without the ignition key being inserted. Any fault in this circuit or switch could give rise to some obscure locking problems.
square-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 23:10   #6
kvw

mine has just developed a problem where the drivers door immediately locks itself when the button on the remote is pressed to unlock the car

anyone come across this or got a remedy?
kvw is offline   Reply With Quote