Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 water pump removal/replacement

Views : 2527

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 09:27   #1
Olaf Els

Default D5 water pump removal/replacement

I've searched but failed to find any information concerning how to replace the water pump on the D5 engine. Mine is a D5244T10 205 PS. I've removed all the bolts holding the pump in place, but right now I can't see how the pump is going to come out as the gap is so narrow. I don't want to risk losing the timing by removing the rear timing cover and cam pulley.

If anyone has done this job and can give me some tips I'd be extremely grateful.
Olaf Els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 10:14   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
I've searched but failed to find any information concerning how to replace the water pump on the D5 engine. Mine is a D5244T10 205 PS. I've removed all the bolts holding the pump in place, but right now I can't see how the pump is going to come out as the gap is so narrow. I don't want to risk losing the timing by removing the rear timing cover and cam pulley.

If anyone has done this job and can give me some tips I'd be extremely grateful.
I would be amazed if there is anything wrong with it even if it were 30 years old .. i would leave it as long as it spins smoothly and does not leak ... I have never come across a faulty one in 30 years since that type was introduced , working with them on a daily basis ... .. if you were to change it for a non volvo pump it would be hugely less reliable than leaving it ..
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 10:54   #3
Olaf Els

Many thanks for your advice. That's very useful. I think I will follow your advice and put it back in place. My only concern is that I might have damaged the gasket when I removed it. If so, I will use the one that came with the new pump, even if it's not as good as the original.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 14:22   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Many thanks for your advice. That's very useful. I think I will follow your advice and put it back in place. My only concern is that I might have damaged the gasket when I removed it. If so, I will use the one that came with the new pump, even if it's not as good as the original.

Thanks again.
That is another thing , the gasket .. Renault used the volvo 4 and 5 cylinder engine in some of their cars as their own own engines would not pass the emission tests , anyway they bought the bare engines from Volvo and used their own black gaskets for water pump etc , these were forever leaking after wards , whilst the green volvo gaskets lasted indefinitely . best not spoil the job ...
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 15:12   #5
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That is another thing , the gasket .. Renault used the volvo 4 and 5 cylinder engine in some of their cars as their own own engines would not pass the emission tests , anyway they bought the bare engines from Volvo and used their own black gaskets for water pump etc , these were forever leaking after wards , whilst the green volvo gaskets lasted indefinitely . best not spoil the job ...
Thanks for the warning but too late! I've put an aftermarket gasket on just now. What an absolute pig of a job getting the pump back in position.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 19:39   #6
Olaf Els

I've worked for the best part of five hours on this, three of which were with a mate. The conclusion is that on this particular engine at least, it's impossible to remove the water pump (with the engine in situ) without taking off the rear timing cover. To remove this cover, the cam pulley must be removed. My concern was losing the timing, as a) the cam might turn when undoing the bolts and b) the holes in the pulley are slotted and the timing depends on it going back in place perfectly. I could possibly have dremelled accurate marks, but I didn't trust myself working on an unlocked cam. On this 205 PS engine, and maybe others, there are fuel supply and return lines that are right in the way of getting the pump out. One other option would have been to cut a piece out of the inner cover, but that would have left a permanent gap. I have to say that the thoughtless engineering that renders this job so difficult is very annoying. Other vehicles have two-piece inner covers, and this arrangement would have allowed the pump to come out. So I have ended up having to put the original pump back, but with an inferior gasket as the original broke up. So I am left worse off than when I started. There's one more problem - part of the inner case has to go behind the pump, so it had to be released to let the pump mate up properly. An example of shoddy engineering from Volvo, in my opinion. They probably couldn't care less - most of the cars will have left the dealer network well before this job might need doing.
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 08:43   #7
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
I've worked for the best part of five hours on this, three of which were with a mate. The conclusion is that on this particular engine at least, it's impossible to remove the water pump (with the engine in situ) without taking off the rear timing cover. To remove this cover, the cam pulley must be removed. My concern was losing the timing, as a) the cam might turn when undoing the bolts and b) the holes in the pulley are slotted and the timing depends on it going back in place perfectly. I could possibly have dremelled accurate marks, but I didn't trust myself working on an unlocked cam. On this 205 PS engine, and maybe others, there are fuel supply and return lines that are right in the way of getting the pump out. One other option would have been to cut a piece out of the inner cover, but that would have left a permanent gap. I have to say that the thoughtless engineering that renders this job so difficult is very annoying. Other vehicles have two-piece inner covers, and this arrangement would have allowed the pump to come out. So I have ended up having to put the original pump back, but with an inferior gasket as the original broke up. So I am left worse off than when I started. There's one more problem - part of the inner case has to go behind the pump, so it had to be released to let the pump mate up properly. An example of shoddy engineering from Volvo, in my opinion. They probably couldn't care less - most of the cars will have left the dealer network well before this job might need doing.
That's the problem with most modern cars I'm afraid. Designed not to be fixed by Joe Public. My first two cars were an Austin Metro, teh Pug 205. I tried most things myself as they were simple (even had chokes), and I could see how things went together and the associated Haynes manuall for those vehicles were very good. My own car, I won't even touch anything on it. I look at the engine on the XC70 and think nah. I am not competent enough to go buggering around in there. Plus any mistake I'd make could end up being an expensive bill. However, changing oil is something I want to attempt myself one day, surely that hasn't changed much compared to old cars?

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:57   #8
tonys1966

Default oil

sadly even changing the oil can be an issue if you put a little too much in lol

that said most things are straightforward enough with the exception of tools-ie handbrake retraction,crank locking tool and diagnostic equipment
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 11:25   #9
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys1966 View Post
sadly even changing the oil can be an issue if you put a little too much in lol

that said most things are straightforward enough with the exception of tools-ie handbrake retraction,crank locking tool and diagnostic equipment
Yes, I fell foul of the oil level issue but luckily I'd already owned a Saab 9-3 where any slight increase over the level brought up the engine management light. So when I changed the oil on my D5 XC70 it was my first port of call.

The kit you mention isn't expensive. My VIDA and DICE cost £50, and I think the crank locking tool (I borrowed one) is about £30. VIDA will do the handbrake retraction, but otherwise a 9V battery will apparently do the trick.

My beef is not one of complexity, but of access. Next time I do work on this area I will get myself some locking pins so that I can work on the crank and cam without fear of ruining the timing.